Search Unity

Question Bizarre Unity graphics glitch not visible on screenshot

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Ukounu, Mar 7, 2023.

1. Ukounu

Ukounu

Untitled-1.jpg

Using Unity 2021.
    Under certain low camera angles, when an object with transparent (Unity standard) shader is within camera view (like tennis court fence), I'm consistently experiencing a graphics glitch - an odd shaped rectangle overlaps entire screen and corrupts texture colors of everything in Unity's play window.

Most curiously, it cannot be captured on screenshot, either by Unity, or by Windows.
    Top image: screenshot using Print Screen.
    Bottom image: photo of PC screen taken on phone.

Anybody has any clue what is going on? I never see any other glitches in Unity, and the issue is resolved if I don't use any transparent/fade shaders. Also, how comes that it can't be captured on screenshot?

EDIT: the issue is solved.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
  2. jiaozi158

jiaozi158

Hi, maybe you can try upgrading the graphics driver and check if it still happens.

3. Ukounu

Ukounu

I always install the newest Nvidia driver as soon as it is released, no difference. I have been observing this issue for over a year, with every driver version.

4. c0d3_m0nk3y

c0d3_m0nk3y

Can you capture it with RenderDoc? Does it move when the camera moves? What platform (Windows?) and rendering backend (DX11, DX12?)? Is this only in the play view or also in the scene view? Is this URP, HDRP or BiRP? Have you tried disabling objects until it disappears? Have you tried disabling post-processing effects until it disappears?

Do you have any screen overlays active like GeForce Experience overlay or MSI Afterburner, for example? Do you have HDR enabled in the Windows display settings?

What GPU do you have? Does it happen on other PCs/monitors as well? Does it happen with a standalone build as well? Does it happen on both AMD and NVidia?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
    Ukounu likes this.
  5. Ukounu

Ukounu

The problem is solved, thanks for suggestions. After some more poking I narrowed down the issue to monitor refresh rate. Looks like I have got a faulty monitor that pushes its hardware way too much to output 144hz, hence the graphics glitch. It disappears when I decrease refresh rate to 60 or 120hz. Still kind of odd that this issue appeared only in one program, and under very specific conditions. Looks like I will have to buy a new PC monitor.

c0d3_m0nk3y likes this.
  6. c0d3_m0nk3y

c0d3_m0nk3y

Glad you found the cause. Maybe try another HDMI cable.