Search Unity

BitBucket and GIT have repo limits... can you use another kind of repo as well?

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by Tset_Tsyung, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Tset_Tsyung

Tset_Tsyung

Hi all,

Okay, the question might not be clear, so let me quickly sum of:
    Working remotely on a project at work (we've never needed Version Control Software until now), and after adding a pack that was too large we hit the BitBucket repo limit of 2gig. Tried to undo and delete the commits and we fluffed it up.

So, for future reference, if we use BitBucket/GIT/Whatever for the code, can we use another type of repository software along side SourceTree (or whatever) to sync out non-code files (such as textures, audio, video, etc.)?

If so, what is that type of software called? I tried searching for things like "Media File syncing", "Media Repository" but couldn't seem to see what I'm looking for... any input is greatly appreciated.

Mike

2. JoNax97

JoNax97

The problem you're trying to solve has 2 parts: the VCS and the storage.

For the first, the keyword you're looking for is git LFS. This stands for large file storage and what it basically does is store a small pointer file in place of any large binary (you can define which files go to LFS) and when you need the real file, it pulls is from a different source.

The second part, the storage, well it depends on your needs. Most git services (github, bitbucket, etc) nowadays offer LFS storage. The only one I know offers unlimited storage is Azure. I recommend you choose it if you want an end to end solution.

Otherwise, you can setup any file storage, either local or cloud (for example an AWS bucket) and instruct git to fetch LFS files from there.

Siccity likes this.
  3. Tset_Tsyung

Tset_Tsyung

HI @JoNax97 ,

Many thanks for the reply - it's much appreciated. Yes we started making use of BitBucket's LFS... but we maxed that out after using a few asset packs (we were also syncing lightmap data - facepalm!) and then once maxed we had the tricky situation of commits (revert/reverse/delete/pray/give up).

Will look into Azure and their pricing, thank you for this tip!

Also, didn't know we could set up LFS for grabbing files from a second location - this is cool!

Thank you so much for your tip, JoNax97 - you're a star!

I've started going through a command line GIT tutorial series hoping that this will help me understand the terminology and process more intuitively.

Mike

JoNax97 likes this.