Search Unity

[RELEASED] Birch trees package

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by larsbertram1, May 6, 2011.

1. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

$birch1.jpg $birch1_1.jpg $birch2.jpg $birch3.jpg $birch4.jpg

the birch tree package ships with a set of 4 fully editable birch tree prototypes – each between 780 – 1300 triangles and textures for bark [diffuse, normal] and leaves [diffuse, normal, translucency].

just check it out: http://u3d.as/content/forst/birch-trees-package/1F1

or watch the trees in action – together with the already released beech tree package and upcoming spruces as well as as well as simplified imported mesh trees.
    webplayer: http://bit.ly/iWGlgZ

comments and whishes are welcome,

lars

2. Demostenes

Demostenes

Why are you keeping polycount so low? I think 2500-3000 shouldnt be problem and quality can be even better. There is nothing like universal tree, what is suitable for slow systems is not enough for fast ones....It would be nice to have at least two quality levels (3k poly, 1k poly) and switch during runtime acording to player settings....

Btw, can you make web player with higher resolution?

3. 3dDude

3dDude

This is amazing! Great work!

4. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

@demostenes: as i have mentioned earlier i notice a dramatic loss of frames when working with high poly trees – at least on my hardware [mac book pro / 2.8 GHz intel core 2 duo / 4 GB ram / Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT / 512 MB] and in forest like sceneries. so i will stick to more or less low poly models whereas 1500 tris is not really low poly…
    but nevertheless: as the package provides more or less only some prototypes it is up to you to gave the trees the desired shape and polycount according to your triangle budget, which can be done pretty easily.

so i just added one "high" poly version of birch [some more brnaches, a lot more of leaves] and increased the resolution of the webplayer.

btw. creating high poly trees with unity’s tree creator isn’t that easy as the resolution of the trunk depends on its radius. so a tree with a radius of less than 0.3 or 0.4m will always be modeled as quad as far as its profile is concerned and it is hard to get around this limitation. another limit is the max texture size generated by the tree creator which is 1024 x 1024 shared by bark and leave textures. for this reason it is more than tricky to get more than one leave texture without having them very blurry. the spruces have 2 "different" leaves textures [branch plus needles / just dry branch] combined into one single leave texture using different uvs.

highres version [1024 x 576]: http://bit.ly/kbVBqF

lars

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  5. Demostenes

Demostenes

2lars: Thanks. Hi poly version looks very good and hi res version is much better for preview. I am using normal HW (not notebook "M" type), so I have no problem with displaying almost anything.

6. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

small update to the package: i have reworked and enhanced the leave texture.

lars

7. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

$01_shape.jpg $02_bark.jpg $03_leaves.jpg

hi there,

i have worked on a heavy update to the birch trees and added 5 completely new trees: silver birches – well known for their specific drooping branches and leaves and the rather white bark.

these new trees ship with their own new textures for bark and leaves and several completely reshaped leave planes.

they should be available at the asset store shortly.
    meanwhile explore the birches:
    http://bit.ly/iWGlgZ

feedback is welcome,

lars

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  8. Demostenes

Demostenes

That birch texture is really good.

9. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

thanks demostenes. but i am also quite happy with the overall shape of the leaves…

10. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

Birch Trees Version 3.0 is coming.

keeponshading likes this.
  11. Ziplock9000

Ziplock9000

Hi, some questions:
    • Do these work with Unity 2019?
    • Do they they work with Unity wind zones
    • Do they work with Unity color variation (when painting)
    Thanks.

12. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

yes, but only in the built in render pipeline.
    yes, but only directional wind zones are supported.
    yes, the cti tree shaders come with a custom tint function.

13. Ziplock9000

Ziplock9000

Fantastic, that checks all the boxes! Thanks!

14. mgear

mgear

@larsbertram1 how to resize those array asset textures?
    like: Birch Bark Array [Normal] [Specular] [AO] 2K4K

15. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

you have to resize the input textures. and then create new arrays. there used to be a free texture array inspector on the asset store which might help you here.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    mgear likes this.
  16. keeponshading

keeponshading

Hi Lars,

i use the Birch, Confiers and Oaks with CTI and GPU Instancer in the BuiltIn RP and i plan to move to HDRP now. For now Unity 2019.4.12 LTS HDRP 7.5.1 .
    Do you plan an update of CTI and the tree assets towards these?

17. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

Oaks and birches already support HDRP.

18. ray_ervi

ray_ervi

Hi Lars,

Birch E Small seems to have unmatched billboard image, is this intentional ? The billboard birch trunk branched into two while the non billboard model only have single straight trunks and taller than the LOD.

Thanks.

19. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

it is not. i will have to look into this, thanks.

ray_ervi likes this.
  20. ray_ervi

ray_ervi

Also, I noticed that the bark material doesn't work with post processing ambient occlusion ? on the example shown you can see the mushroom shape is partly visible behind the trees bark as well as the rest of the landscape although a bit vaguely.

Is there any chance for it to be compatible with any ambient occlusion system or do I have to change it to standard shader on the bark for AO to work ?

21. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

version 3.3.1. adds support for URP 12.