Search Unity

Games Biotopia 3D: Open world role playing sandbox game -please try for free and gimme feedback!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Firlefanz73, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Proxy_Games_

Proxy_Games_

Hello,

It's odd that it the pause (by pause, I meant freeze. the game froze when switching the animated shaders. it actually caused the game to crash once...) when switching the animated grass/water on and off is not happening for you... Are you testing it in the editor or realtime build? The editor could possibly be faster in terms of compiling shaders or something.

I do understand that the chunk landscapes can be intensive on the RAM. However, games that contain similar chunk systems do not have such an extreme issue. Minecraft is obviously an unfair comparison, since dozens of people have worked on that, but in the most extreme cases they were able to get the game to run on the X360 and PS3, which had less than 1G of RAM. Obviously, that shouldn't be a goal for you-that'd be ridiculous. However, I would say it's worth exploring to see if there's any ways to optimize the intense RAM usage.

As well, if you say that it uses more RAM over time, I hope you mean it increases until it hits a limit rather than it just keeps increasing. The latter would be far more problematic. Have you looked into scripting a garbage collection system that would better fit your game? While Unity has one built-in, you may want to add your own additional layer to help ensure the player has the best possible experience. Unity actually has a manual on their garbage collection system, including tips on scripts that can generate garbage and the way you could make your garbage collection system works.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UnderstandingAutomaticMemoryManagement.html

As for the confusing menu, I was referring to the pause menu. The main menu is fine (the only issue I have with it is that the options are tucked into the extras menu, but that isn't another major). It's the one with icons circulating the screen and where you can access your inventory, equipment, as well as the options and the quite to menu button. I found the format of it rather confusing and had trouble finding where were the things that I wanted to get to.

Firlefanz73 likes this.
  2. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Okay, I will think about that, thanks for the suggestions!

The new Troll TV Studio:

upload_2019-6-22_10-24-22.png

We will not target PS3. Ps4 or PS5 or XBox Scarlett would be great, but currently we have no Publisher etc and are thinking About how to carry on soon.

Minecraft has LOTS less Vertices, just look at it :)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    eaque likes this.
  3. Proxy_Games_

Proxy_Games_

True, though at this point it is generally considered that hardware is so powerful that vertices themselves hardly dictate performance (though if you flood the screen with millions upon millions of vertices the hardware will obviously have problems).

While I don't think PS4 could necessarily happen due to the GPU performance (and possibly RAM, though that may not cause many problems), the PS5 and Xbox Scarlett could be interesting. For now, I would focus on polishing your experience and, if you really want to go the console route, possibly add controller support.

Firlefanz73 likes this.
  4. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

That console stuff is kind of a wish / dream. We are a two man hobby game developer Team (just in our free time), we have no Unity Licence (yet). A PS5 development console will be expensive I guess plus the Unity License...
    Or maybe the XBox Scarlett could be easier.

First we Need to finish the game itself, we Need much more cutscenes and get the main story told to the end, and some more quests. :)

Then I will try to talk to some indie Publisher, I have "Devolver" in mind. We also started a way smaller game which is half-finished and will be finished this year.

Biotopia might be enhanced forever, if no Publisher is interested but we still have fun developing it, and People like you show some interest :D

5. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Biotopia 3D Free playable early access V 0.9.81

This update has Performance and Gameplay improvements, and a brand new Troll TV Studio :)

Changelist: Many small improvements, New Troll TV Studio, some monsters improved, performance improved a bit, non animated grass is now the default (the animated grass needs a lot of performance), backjump (in fight with middle mouse click / Fire 3) enhanced
    -> Thanks to AHProxy for his testing and kind comments and useful Critics :)

Indiedb.com

The next update will feature more Story and cutscenes…

6. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

There has been no update for a while. We are currently upgrading to Unity 2019.2 and some of the assets we are using (UMA, Salsa). I guess the next version will be available in 1-2 weeks, this is still alive and WIP :D

7. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

8. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

A new Long and uncut Trailer on Youtube:

A Shorter and cut Trailer with more ingame footage and a new Version will follow soon :)

eaque likes this.
  9. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

10. Zaxoosh

Zaxoosh

I hope I'm not crossing any barriers here, but what has happened to development, and if it's still continuing, I'd LOVE to help out with game testing and idea suggestions.

11. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

We are just finishing our game "Pocket Race: Manager", PC is finished and published, still having Problems releasing on Google Play store).
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/pocket-race-manager-made-with-unity-for-pc-and-android.863254/
    https://www.indiedb.com/games/pocket-race-manager

I guess we will be working on Biotopia again in a few weeks.
    Of Course feedback and ideas are always very welcome, Biotopia is our longtime-support-growing game :)

Thanks for your interest!

Zaxoosh likes this.
  12. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Zaxoosh likes this.