Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Games Biotopia 3D: Open world role playing sandbox game -please try for free and gimme feedback!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Firlefanz73, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Hello,

we are a two People hobby-game-developer Team.
    I am the developer, my friend is the GFX and Music Artist.

Our first unity game "Biotopia 3D" is playable and in an early access state - for free!
    Not everything is completly finished but it is playable and most parts work good (except for especially monster / npc ai).

We are using various assets like Enviro and some shaders, UMA for human NPC and Player, some bought Monster assets.
    If we earn some Money with the optional Support license we will buy a unity license and a PS4 developer set maybe or just some more cool assets.
    Occulus support is in Progress (I only have a dk2 developer occulus maybe someone can test with a real one?)
    And we Need more voice acting. If somebody wants to hear his voice in our game he may speak a character for us... :)
    It would be nice to get some Feedback before going public. Also hints how to get public are welcome.

The game is a mixture of of Minecraft-like sandbox game with procedural worlds, but more to explore and old School RPG Elements, like quests, npcs, Monsters and a storyline.

It allows one Player to take his stuff and his skills and start in a new world if he does not like his current one. Each world is procedural and unique, but has some Elements like Bioms, small and large Buildings and dungeons, but it is in another place and somehow different for each world created. The Player can start the storyline in one world and continue it in another world and finish it again in a brandnew world... :)

Link to game page:
    https://www.indiedb.com/games/biotopia-3d

The latest direct download link is at the very end of this thread or on the indiedb Website.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  2. danteswap

danteswap

Hmmm Will Try This

Firlefanz73 likes this.
  3. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

4. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Added fishes and some new Awards. Improved fighting.
    Version 0.8.70 (sorry but does not work with previous savegames):
    http://www.biotopia3d.de/Setup-Biotopia3D.exe

latest video Clip with Intro, Tutorial and a first excursion of the early Access version:

Feedback very welcome!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  5. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Hello,

there has been a lot of changes and somes updates passed.

Now we are at Version 0.9.00.

The tutorial has changed a lot, many improvements and bug fixes.
    It is free with optional licenses for People who like to Support us.

It would be great to get some feedback / critics, especially:

- Is the tutorial understandable, well made and does it help to get into the game?
    - Do you like the idea of the game, the look of the game?
    - What is the most annoying bug or missing Feature?

Thanks a lot. Please try it and leave us a comment :)

I am thinking about releasing it on Steam / early Access after some more changes...

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  6. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Version 0.9.01 is online.

Monster are more aggressive now, there are 3 Arenas now to fight in.
    Many bugfixes again and small usability improvements.

The main storyline is not finished yet, some minor Features are still missing,
    but I blieve it is playable now. :)

Some Feedback would be great!

Download and Play free:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  7. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

And another update is online, meanwhile it is Version 0.9.05.
    It fixes a Problem with the installer. The Monsters got new behaviors for fighting.
    Some minor Bugs fixed again.

Please try and tell me how you like and what has to be changed or improved next time.... :)

RavenOfCode likes this.
  8. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

This is a huge update (0.9.06).
    The game now sends your players name and score and important journal entries to our server.
    If you do not want that, you can turn it off in Options.
    The monsters have been improved, some can cast a first spell now.
    The arcade mode can now be played to improve your character or find better armor, items etc.
    It is not finished yet but can be tested. Your player can switch to arcade everytime and also back to your biotopia world.
    The Player can start as many worlds or arcade levels as you like and each will be different :mrgreen:

Please tell us how you like it!

9. Lostlogic

Lostlogic

A video of the latest build would be nice in order to give better feedback. I don't install random .exe and also do not run Windows natively.

One observation, they say first impressions are the most important. Given that, I would get rid of the orc in the first screen up top. It reminds me of one of those stress dolls.

Firlefanz73 likes this.
  10. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

The orc will stay, he is one of the two narrators /hosts :)
    But yes, a new trailer is due and will be done soon.

I currently cannot build UWP but this is planned for the future. So it will stay a "random .exe for the next time but I guess the same is for most games around :)

Thanks for the feedback! New update later this week and I will try to get time for a new Trailer, too...

11. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

The new update is here!
    It is 0.9.07 :mrgreen:
    There is a new depth of field effect and there are new online Features, both can be turned off.
    And there has been a lot of changes for better Usability and gameplay.
    Test it and tell us how you like it :)

Maybe I find some time to do a new video next couple of days...

12. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

13. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

2 new Video Clips, the turorial a(real footage) and the intro:

14. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

This is the new Trailer:

We now closed our Homepages. You can download it from indiedb and Play the eraly Access for free, Feedback would be welcome!

https://www.indiedb.com/games/biotopia-3d/downloads/biotopia-3d-free-playable-early-access-v-0916

Play biotopia! it is unique and everytime surprises you with something new!
    The Features: V0.9.16:
    - each time you start a new game a new random generated world awaits you! you can keep your player with it's progress and stuff and start a completly new world whenever you like
    - dig the ground and build, remove or terraform how you like it
    - craft everything from building blocks to weapons and armor
    - cook tasty meals
    - create powerful potions
    - create your own magic spells
    - enhance your weapons or armor with magic power
    - fight monsters with melee or range weapons and magic spells
    - talk to people, trade and fulfill quests
    - follow the main story and find secrets beneath it
    - fight lots of different monsters from spiders to gargoyles and dragons
    - hunt lots of different animals
    - dress your character with lots of clothing and armor pieces
    - solve puzzles or just ignore (or smash) them
    - discover lots of dungeons, ancient ruins and buildings
    - level up your character and gain new abilities
    - levelup your furball, your neat little sidekick
    - win awards
    - if you like it, buy a license for 10€ to support us making improvements and add more stuff

eaque likes this.
  15. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

16. GamerMaster28

GamerMaster28

Can't seem to follow link to game. Could you send me a new link?

17. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

18. WyvernTV

WyvernTV

Is this still available for testing? I am looking to start a YouTube channel regarding game testing and would love to test

19. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Yes of Course. We are in a full playable early Access state with some Things missing, but you shouldn't realize this too much.
    We are looking for more Feedback to find out what should be improved next and new Features to Add next.
    If People like it, we want to Add more and more stuff...

GamerMaster already gave me some Feedback for Things to improve, Thanks :)

More Feedback would be great!

You Need at least 8 gb of ram, and a good graphic Card like GTX 960 or 1050 and above for full hd would be good.

Thanks.

20. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Links set to the actual new home in the top first post.
    There will be a new Version available soon.

21. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

22. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Biotopia 3D Free playable early access V 0.9.30, Direct Dropbox download because of IndieDB upload Problems:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0bxch89gq2nfkho/Setup-Biotopia3D.exe?dl=0

Changelist:
    - problem with cursor occuring during game action is fixed
    - slope running upwards is a bit faster now
    - player striking a bit faster
    - some animals ki improved
    - weather profiles for Biomes
    - new buildings a large stranded ship
    - new npc the innkeeper
    - memory leak fixed which decreased performance after a while

23. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

I found a new Building, a huge stranded ship! What might be inside?

24. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Biotopia 3D Free playable early access V 0.9.31 on IndieDB
    https://www.indiedb.com/games/biotopia-3d/downloads/biotopia-3d-free-playable-early-access-v-0931

Changelist:
    - removed some unused textures (less memory needed)
    - adding more monster varations - some Buildings improved and continued
    - added a new monster: the weeper (scary!)
    - added new enemies: black Knight
    - made some enemies and monsters a bit more dangerous
    - added new sounds

Please Play it and please give us some Feedback :)

25. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

26. Proxy_Games_

Proxy_Games_

Okay, I tried out the game and I do have quite a few suggestions:

- The audio recording for the voices seems quite low quality. You may want to get a higher quality microphone (You can get a Blue Snowball Ice for around $50 and they give some good audio quality). Also, the audio filters applied for the trolls and orcs to get a deeper voice kind of got grating.
    - I was able to figure out where it was by searching, but you may want to move the options menu from the extras and to the main menu. I noticed that the audio settings, at least for voices, didn't seem to work, and you had to hover your mouse in a very specific place to get it to select. Also, add more graphic options there for shadow distance and quality (as well as depth of field). That way people don't have to exit the game to change it in the launcher.
    - I was having a lot of issues with performance. My computer isn't a behemoth, but isn't a slouch either (GTX 1050 Ti) and I was having a lot of issues with the game. I do have a few suggestions to give:
    - At least add an option to disable the depth of field, if not outright remove it. It didn't really bode the game well. If you want to keep it in, I'd recommend to decreasing the strength of the blur since it made distance objects go into a haze.
    - I'm not 100 percent sure on it, but I think at nighttime I noticed you guys had volumetric clouds. While they do look pretty and I was impressed, they also tend to be VERY heavy on the GPU. Add an option to disable them.
    - The fur and grass shader were pretty nice looking, I will say. I will ask if you have a LOD Cull on the shader so it disables the effect at a distance. If not, I'd recommend to add it, since it'll help with performance.

It's important to note that you are making a voxel-based game with a blocky environment. Having a ton of these strong post-processing effects, in my opinion at least, kind of gives the game a conflicting look.

- In first person mode, the camera seems to be off to the side of the playermodel when you look down, and when you spin around, you heavily notice that the camera isn't in the center of the rotation, which gives the game a weird feel when you're looking around.
    - In general, but especially when in combat, the controls feel VERY sluggish. I think the system you have in place is one where the animations must complete first before you can take another action, if I noticed correctly. This is fine, but I would heavily recommend speeding up animations and the blending between animations to help give faster respond times.
    - I did notice that the AI seems to be a bit crazy at times (I watched a boar run continually into a wall, which was entertaining).
    - I also ran into a few graphical glitches; specifically with particle effects I think. Instead of displaying properly, they were just flashing black squares.
    - Pretty sure it's just an artistic choice, so I won't complain much, but the all green and blue human eyes give me the heebie jeebies.
    - I'd recommend also adding an options menu in the game itself, since I had to exit to the main menu to change graphical settings to try to get the game to perform well. If there is one while in-game, then I at least didn't notice it.

Overall, it's hard to complain too much considering this is a project being done by just two people. I know it may feel like I tore the game apart, but honestly the work you two have done is pretty great. If I had anything to recommend, it'd be to make sure to keep your ambitions in check. This is a MASSIVE game for two people to try to take on, and it's easy for things to fall out of control with a project so large in scope. Remember to focus on the polish of the experience as much the ambitious large mechanics you add to it, if not twice fold.

Hope the project goes well.

Firlefanz73 likes this.
  27. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Hello AHProxy,

great, tis is EXACTLY what I need. Feedback and also including some suggestions how we could improve things. :)

Thanks a lot! Great Review.
    Yes, we are working on it long time and the idea is to do a open world rpg that is exciting and interesting to explore, and randomized in a way you always see something new...even if you start again from the beginning.

Like you said we are only two people, but we will keep on working on it and if it takes years. Maybe do some Little games as well, but always keep working on our large game here.

We know about the powerful hardware needed, but I guess Hardware performance is still growing and Working for us :)
    But you gave us some ideas how we could improve the perfomance, Thanks for that!

Yes, you are right the AI is still the main Problem in my opioion, too. We will work on that, and I will also think about making fighting animations a bit faster...

Having the Options directly in the game, too, sounds like a good idea I will Try (and Add more Detail Options like volume Clouds etc).

I will think about all your suggestions for the next update(s), Thanks a lot, very helpful for us :cool:

Proxy_Games_ likes this.
  28. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

There is already an Option for turning this off, in Extras / Options.
    But you are right, the Options should be accessible from the game, too, I will add that.

The Player now fights a bit faster and even from a very short click. Humans now have human eyes with human eye colors :)

There will be a new update soon, you really gave me some good ideas to improve stuff...

Proxy_Games_ likes this.
  29. Proxy_Games_

Proxy_Games_

Cool! I'll be waiting for the next update!

30. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

That was a good hint with the DOF. It was way too strong. I didn't realize that anymore, but now I can toggle it during the game and I saw it is way too strong...

Give me a week or two then a new update is coming :)

Proxy_Games_ likes this.
  31. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  32. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Biotopia 3D Free playable early access V 0.9.40 on IndieDB
    https://www.indiedb.com/games/biotopia-3d/downloads/biotopia-3d-free-playable-early-access-v-0940
    or
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/y01k9tjk72n2mma/Setup-Biotopia3D.exe?dl=0

Changelist:
    - player fighting improved
    - new element monsters added
    - ki of flying animals improved
    - options button in the overview for direct access during game (just press escape)
    - added joystick support during game
    - speech volume can now be set - depth of field effect optimized

Thanks AHProxy for your suggestions! The AI and speech quality are on the list for one of the next updates…

Please Play it and please give us some Feedback :)

33. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Just testing myself, found a few annoying Bugs (two of them new) o_O
    Will have a new bugfix update Pretty soon, I guess in two days...

34. Proxy_Games_

Proxy_Games_

Hey, I just tried the updates and I have a few notes.

- The performance is notably better with volumetric clouds off, which is great since the game was 10 fps before. Any improvement at that performance is good.
    - The human eyes are regular colors, which is good and don't leave me in a slight panic.
    - The improved settings definitely make things easier to change. I only thing I can see improved is a setting for textures or for shadows to be disabled.
    - I didn't know until that there's a map. That's so useful.
    - The buttons to move the map around are inverted from what they should be.

- I just realized, when you're on the character select screen, and you select the scrollbar, if you move the mouse left and right it moves scrollbar up and down.
    - I spawned into the gameworld and got ganged up on by a bee immedately, so you may want to work on that.
    - Again, you may want to center the FPS camera, which is hanging to the right of the player, and gives almost a weird motion-sickness feeling when looking around.

- I tried to do a bit more testing to see what may be the cause of performance issues (mainly looking at different parts of the environment and using different settings). The good news is that shadows seem to not be much of a cause (Though I will note that I noticed you're using point lights with shadows in a few places. They usually have much lower resolution shadows than spotlights and are actually 4x more expensive performance-wise, so if you can switch any to spots and still make it look believable, then that'd be good. If not, then it'd be best to turn off shadows for points since they tend to be more distracting than anything.)
    - Unfortunately, the only thing I could come up with in terms of what's hitting performance is the voxel engine itself in some manner, since looking up at the sky brings forth silky smooth 60fps. I'm not sure how it works or how well optimized it is, but it seems to be the thing hitting the GPU real hard, and considering how much of your experience is relying on the voxel engine to make the environments, it should probably be high priority to get it working better. I can't investigate this further, since I don't have access to the project or anything, but you'll want check the Unity profiler, add the GPU option, and try to see more details on what's going on.

- The combat system, with the sped up animations, does improve things a bit, but I think it needs some more reworking. You may want to redo the animations to go by quicker entirely (mainly because as soon as a bee came for me, I was kinda screwed since they'd keep flying over me as I desperately and slowly fling my sword at it until I died). I do respect the use of an energy meter and a shield button. It's clear you're trying to develop a more strategic and methodical combat system, which is fine. It's a bit awkward though when you and the enemy end up in an awkward staring contest until one you decides to take a hit. Also, if you stay with this methodical combat system, you may want to reduce the population of monsters in the overworld quite a not. It's highly likely that while you're fighting an enemy, another one will wander into battle since they typically go over a minute. As it is, the combat system is definitely not suited to combat with more than one enemy, since once you attack, you're stuck in place for around 4-5 seconds and you are entirely defenseless, meaning it's easy for other enemies to take potshots at you. Ignoring that, even when you're shielding, it only protects the front of you, so if you're being attack from multiple sides, it doesn't really help. These aren't necessarily things that need to be fixed, but it does mean that the player shouldn't really have more than one or two enemies thrown at them. It normally ends up smarter to just run away, especially since all the enemies are slower than you. Except for the bees. God have mercy on you if a bee finds you.

- (It is fair to note that some of the comments on the combat system may also be amplified by the low performance, which makes things feel more sluggish.)

- I also realized that you said on your first post that if you gain more support, you may get a PS4 dev kit. While I would strongly recommend first getting the computer version up and working smoothly, if you do want to start get working with consoles, get an Xbox One. Not an Xbox One devkit-a regular consumer Xbox One. Microsoft have a brilliant program for indie developers called the Creators Program. Basically, you pay $20 and you can get a developer account and turn your Xbox One into a dev console. You can even see performance metrics for the console so you know what's being a bottleneck. It isn't as high up as the Xbox@ID program, which is what the official developers use, it is a great starting place. If you want to get started with that and figure out how to get a Unity game work on the Xbox One, here's some links:

https://unity3d.com/partners/microsoft/creators-program

- I also saw you're possibly considering VR. Obviously before you even start on that, you need to get the performance up significantly since it's already having issues on near-VR capable hardware, and VR basically renders the whole scene twice, doubling the workload.

- Basically, to make a long story short, the performance is probably you're main issue right now. XD

Again, best of luck on your project.

Firlefanz73 likes this.
  35. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Hello AHProxy,

thanks a lot for your testing and hints and ideas again :)
    I am on a short holiday trip in the nederlands but will be back home on Monday.
    Yes performance and ai are big problems still, and I guess both but especially performance will be hard to improve but I will try. We also have a list of things we want to add like much more story elements, new things to find, much more buildings and more quests etc.

Thanks a lot for test, I guess I will have a bugfix update on Monday or Tuesday and then work again on improvements.
    I had a occulus devkit but it does not work anymore :-( So I do not know if I will continue work with VR compability.
    But the XBox Hint sounds quite interesting...

36. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

37. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

38. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

39. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

40. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

41. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Next release is in Progress. Meanwhile here is a commercial … for the Wizard's store :D

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  42. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

A new release with huge performance improvements and a lot of bugfixes:

Biotopia 3D Free playable early access V 0.9.62 on IndieDB
    https://www.indiedb.com/games/biotopia-3d/downloads/biotopia-3d-free-playable-early-access-v-0962

How should we continue (too bad I cannot add a poll here):

A new Wiking tribe in the snowlands?
    A new egypt pharaoh and walk like an egypt people in the desert?
    More monsters like rats and zombies?
    Bosses like Dragons and large demons?
    Or bugfix?
    Or story and quests?

Or a bit from everything?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  43. Proxy_Games_

Proxy_Games_

Hello again,

I decided to check on the game after a couple of months again. Couple notes:

- Performance has definitely been improved a lot. You guys have been doing great at getting it better than it was initially (though it still isn't exactly ideal).
    - The music is pretty great, and was probably the main reason the game caught my attention while playing.
    - The world seems to have a lot more to it now in terms of characters and liveliness. While the AI falters when you try to engage with characters, it looks like the world is alive at least.
    - The tutorial has definitely improved, mainly because I could finish it and slightly understand what's going on.

Suggestions for improvements:
    - I noticed while checking performance metrics from the GDOC menu that the game reported over 300 lights and over 700 particle systems. I can't tell if that indicates just objects with those components on it, or actually active lights/particle systems. If it's the latter, then that could definitely be a place to improve performance. Deactivating those based on distance from the player would be wise if not already being done, and you definitely want to be on deferred rendering (I'm assuming you are, but it's best to reiterating).
    - The gameplay is still sort of strange. It's hard to tell what's off with it, but it almost feels like the game has a slow response time to your input. It feels as if it takes moments longer than it should for the game to realize you should walk, run, and attack.
    - I notice the DOF button in the options menu doesn't seem to do anything.

Overall, the game is definitely improving. Best of luck.

Firlefanz73 likes this.
  44. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Hello AHProxy,

thanks a lot! For both some encouraging words and some useful hints from your tests.

I will have a look for each of your suggestions, that's very helpful!

Yes. We will improve more and more until it is good. And then we will improve it more. :D

45. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

A new Troll TV Video is online, watch it here:

Update tomorrow with new features and improvements!

46. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

47. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

48. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Getting Closer to reach 1.0:

Here is the latest update to V0.9.80:
    Indiedb.com

As always this is full playable. Feedback would be great! :)

49. Proxy_Games_

Proxy_Games_

Hello again. Decided to do another look over the game.

- Performance seems slightly improved, and the weather effects/volumetric lighting is pretty nice.
    - Combat seems smoother and more fluid, which improves the feel. I do notice that I keep ignoring endurance and not paying attention to it, which makes it awkward when I try to attack an enemy and I just have none.
    - When in combat, when I hold middle click I end up floating in the air. I imagine it's supposed to be a dodge of sorts, and the lift up is meant to keep players from glitching in the floor, but it's broken at this point. As well, as long as you hold middle click, you stay floating.
    - I wasn't paying attention to this before, but now that I have, the game has a MASSIVE problem in terms of RAM. When I used MSI Afterburner to check CPU, GPU performance, and RAM, the game was using nearly 7GB of RAM. In comparison, most triple A games hit around 8-10GB, and some hit less than that. (Your game in it's current state uses more RAM than the recently released Just Cause 4). I'm not sure how to improve this since I don't know how the game is programmed, but when you pull up the Unity profiler, there is an option to check RAM usage and where it's being used.
    - The game is definitely not CPU bound according to MSI Afterburner, so you're good there. GPU is still where the game suffers.
    - In terms of improving GPU performance at this point, I played around with the graphical options you have, and I noticed that the animated water and grass have a dramatic effect on the framerate. Turning it off improved performance by about 20 FPS (a 33% improvement). I'm not sure how complex those shaders is or what options there are for improving the efficiency of those shaders, but they are definitely bogging down the performance of your game.
    - As well, switching either option freezes the game for several seconds, making it look like the game crashed. This is especially for the animated grass option, which took my mid-range computer (i7, gtx 1060, so on, so forth) out of commission for about 20 seconds.
    - Either way, those two shaders seem to be causing your game a lot of problems, and should probably be looked at.

- I've never mentioned it until now, because compared to other things, it wasn't as much of an issue, but your pause menu is quite confusing. I can appreciate the effort for trying to make a distinct and unique pause menu, but it feels like you've put style over function. I think the issue is that there are too many buttons organized in a rather confusing way. I'd recommend doing what most games do, which split the options for the game (inventory, equipment, etc.) into one quick menu, and then have a regular pause menu for settings, saving, loading, etc.

Overall, there is, again, an improvement. I wish you the best of luck on pumping out V1.0.

50. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Hello,

new update is near. Thanks a lot for your test and Feedback, this is extremly helpful!

I will check the "Back jump" on the middle mouse button, thanks!

Yes, the procedural generated chunk landscape uses a lot of ram if you Play a longer while, the more it gets.
    But that should not be a problem at all, but I will check if there is a Memory leak :)

Thanks for the hint with the animated water and grass, I was not Aware of it and will check.

There is no pause :) Maybe I should add it...
    Are you Talking About the menu which has many Buttons in a circle around the middle ("The overview")?

Thanks and again! A great help!