Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Binary rejected by Apple because there's a Google Play banner at the end of the Ads.

Discussion in 'Unity Ads & User Acquisition' started by UDN_43669de3-ec6d-40c1-a4bf-667a587956b4, Jul 27, 2017.

1. UDN_43669de3-ec6d-40c1-a4bf-667a587956b4

UDN_43669de3-ec6d-40c1-a4bf-667a587956b4

Hello,

My game got binary rejected by Apple because there's a Google Play banner at the end of the Ads.
    The reason is the following message:

Guideline 2.3.10 - Performance - Accurate Metadata

We noticed that your app or its metadata includes irrelevant third-party platform information. Specifically, Google Play is mentioned in the ads.

Referencing third-party platforms in your app or its metadata is not permitted on the App Store unless there is specific interactive functionality.

Please see attached screenshots for details.

Next Steps

To resolve this issue, please remove all instances of this information from your app and its metadata, including the app description, What's New info, previews, and screenshots.

Since your iTunes Connect status is Rejected, a new binary will be required. Make the desired metadata changes when you upload the new binary.

NOTE: Please be sure to make any metadata changes to all app localizations by selecting each specific localization and making appropriate changes

How to remove the Google Play banner for my iOS build?
    Is removing the banner the only way to resolve this?

Best regards,
    Jessada

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  2. rasmus-unity

rasmus-unity

Hi Jessada,

Seems quite random that your app was rejected by this reason, as many other games with Unity Ads integrated has been approved by Apple. We will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks,
    Rasmus, Unity Ads

3. elora_k

elora_k

Hi Jessada,

We are very sorry that your app was rejected for this reason. We've seen random results from Apple's review process on this. We recommend resubmitting your app, this has worked for other developers in the past. Sorry for the extra step and time this causes.

We will also check with our team to see if there is something we can do to prevent this from happening. Sorry again!

alphadogware likes this.
  4. Deleted User

Deleted User

The problem is that some ads display both App Store and Google Play badges, and if Apple sees any mention of Google Play, they will reject the app. They have been consistent about that. This was reported last year in this forum and you guys did a sweep and fixed/removed the ads. Now they're popping up again. I had several updates rejected a few weeks ago, and I did a test just now to show three ads and two of them included Google Play badges (Final Fantasy and War Dragons).

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

6. rasmus-unity

rasmus-unity

Again, sorry for the inconvenience caused by this. We have so far followed the guidelines described at https://developer.apple.com/app-store/marketing/guidelines/#downloadOnAppstore:
    In case ad videos shows icons for multiple platforms, Apple App Store icon is shown left/before other platforms.

In this case, it could be argued that a video ad falls under marketing, rather than app review guidelines. Can you try to resubmit your application to Apple, with this information? Please let us know if you still experience any problems with submissions.

Thanks,
    Rasmus, Unity Ads

daria_unity likes this.
  7. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm not going to do that. The app submission guidelines as listed in the first post trump anything the marketing guidelines shows, and in practice, they use the guidelines to enforce whatever internal policy they've decided that benefits their agenda, like competing against Google, destroying Flash, getting developers to use IAP....

I've been through this before. This has been their policy for years. Just because they don't catch it every time doesn't mean they allow it. It's not just ads. I've had apps rejected because, for example, they link to web sites showing Google Play. By the way, Amazon does this too - they've rejected my apps that show or link to badges of other app stores.

Unity should be regularly submitting Unity-built apps to the App Store (and other app stores) with all the Unity features like Unity Ads and Unit IAP for example to gain first-hand experience and catch these issues early.

8. rasmus-unity

rasmus-unity

Again, apologize for the trouble.

To answer your last question, we actually do have games built with Unity using Unity Ads, which gets submitted to Apple and Google stores "regularly". Although in the case for my own game, my Unity 2017.1 version got rejected due to a problem with IAP, which I'm still working on solving (ability to restore virtual inventory, which is another situation of "random" approval process at Apple, as I have played several games where e.g. coins and other in-game items are reset when reinstalling game)

For your particular situation, thanks for highlighting. We have discussed internally today, but in any case it will take some time for us to get new videos from all advertisers, so I would still suggest that you submit your app again, and let them know that the ad network you have integrated is working on a solution. You decide if you want to point to their marketing guidelines, however I believe these are the ones an advertiser are using when designing a video.

Hope it helps...

Thanks,
    Rasmus

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

The marketing guidelines list constraints on how the Apple badge can be used. It doesn't actually say you can have other platform badges in an iOS app, it just says if the badge is displayed with other badges (which could be a web site or video that is not shown in an iOS app) it has to be the first one. So I doubt that pointing to the marketing guidelines will help.

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

Oh, I see Unity does have one recently (July) submitted app, Trash Dash, which appears to use IAP and Unity Ads.