Search Unity

Billboard trees not showing fog.

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by glenrhodes, Mar 11, 2015.

1. glenrhodes

glenrhodes

Anyone have any idea why, in Unity 5, the standard billboard trees are not drawing fog over top of them? These are trees from the tropical nature pack (I've turned the fog way up to illustrate):

treefogissue.jpg
    The trees use the shader Nature/Tree Soft Occlusion Leaves and Bark.

It's almost like there's a layer / render queue issue. I've tried all render modes. It seems to be something the billboard shader is doing.

Any ideas?

2. glenrhodes

glenrhodes

For those who experience this, I found the problem. The asset package that those trees belong to had its own shader for the billboard trees, "BillboardTree.shader". I removed it, and it fell back to the default Unity shader, and everything looks good again.

gdwilliams84, PeterB, Beennn and 3 others like this.
  3. magique

magique

@glenrhodes I know this is an old thread, but I am having the same issue with billboards not affected by fog. I'm not using the package you mentioned, but seeing the same thing. How do you know if a tree is using a different billboard shader? I can't find anything in any of the trees in the inspector that indicates what billboard shader it uses. Where did you find this information about your trees?

4. glenrhodes

glenrhodes

Hmm.. as far as I remember, this automagically happens behind the scene. Search your project for a file BillboardTree.shader file physically in one of the folders. I think that's how I found it.. and found that there was one in my project that was overriding the built-in Unity one. Once I deleted it, it fell back to the built-in one.

5. magique

magique

OK, thanks. yeah, I searched my project and no such replacement shader exists. Yet I still have the issue where GlobalFog doesn't affect billboards. I can't find anywhere else about an alternate solution to this problem.

6. Acreates

Acreates

Star date 08/10/17, I'm having this issue with lighting and billboard trees. Unity Command how copy?