Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Biggest Problem - only last major update available

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by n3v3r001, Oct 3, 2018.

1. n3v3r001

n3v3r001

Unity hub make the handling of different Unity main versions easy, but very bad for subversions.
    Thats the main Problem with Unity Hub to make it really useful for developer: there is no way to download an old patch version.

Example what happened to us:
    3 developer team, everyone installs Unity 2018.2.9f1. All uses Unity Hub, to make the setup easy.
    In the next days and weeks, there will join additional developers. (would be nice if they can also use unity hub)
    But as the 4th developer joins the team some days later, he can only download 2018.2.10f1 in unity hub.
    So he only has 2 options:
    * All other developer also update to that version -> but unity does not allow to update, they need to install the new version nearby and then delete the old version.
    * Or he download the correct version manually from unity website

And that problem is every time, a developer joins the team some days/weeks later, because the unity patchversion changes very often.

If you add ALL unity versions to the hub, this would make the life of a developer (team) much easier.
    thanks!

2. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

Hi @n3v3r001,

Sorry for the inconvenience. In the very near future, you may directly call the Hub to download any specific version from the web archive. We only ask for a little more patient on this one.
    As for current workaround, as you mention, it's to download and install the correct version manually from unity website and later using Locate version in Hub.

Thanks for your feedback

Joe

3. n3v3r001

n3v3r001

Thanks for the reply!
    We are looking forward to the new version :)

4. mikelortega

mikelortega

The new version 1.1.0 is out but still doesn't solve this problem. The only option is to download the correct version and locate it. I guess we'll have to wait a bit more...

5. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone!
    Sorry for the long wait on the "very near future"
    As of now, you may download and install past Unity version from https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive with the Hub.
    A new Unity Hub button is available in the archive to download and install using the Hub.

Thanks for your support

6. Baste

Baste

You still haven't solved the largest problem I see my non-technical colleagues have with downloading older Unity versions - finding the download archive. Have you considered adding a link to it in the hub? See the image I attached to this post for what I mean.

mikelortega likes this.
  7. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

Hi @Baste ,

Unless a project is already under an older version, we would normally recommend the newest.
    In Hub, we have in plan to leverage the open project to offer download in Hub directly when missing project's Editor version is detected. The current web link bring us one step closer to the more convenient UX.
    While I mentioned this feature is in plan, I can't current provide an estimation on when it would be available.

We appreciate the feedback, thanks for your patient and support.

Joe

8. NobleRobot

NobleRobot

Yes, we all need to realize that Unity making it difficult to find and download older versions is a feature, not a bug.

Of course, this is utterly preposterous, as the only time anyone would choose to download an older version is when they *need* an older version, but Unity has made it clear in the various threads on this topic that they will only provide this functionality in a convoluted way, and even then, kicking and screaming. ;-P

Now that they have Hub links in the archive, it should be satisfactory for most people who have been complaining about this, even if it's still pointlessly inconvenient. I mean, I would still like to complain about it on principle, but with a little instruction, my team can get what it needs now, at least.

joeksy likes this.
  9. dri_richard

dri_richard

I'm temporarily using a Mac for development, and this missing feature - combined with Unity on Mac's default behaviour (I just discovered) of not prompting for an install location & overwriting an existing one, has wasted my whole morning.