Search Unity

Big Xbox One News for Unity Developers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Meltdown, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Meltdown

Meltdown

2. BTStone

BTStone

3. MrProfessorTroll

MrProfessorTroll

I read that on ign.com. I hope they will release something like this for ps4

4. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

But how hard is it to get accepted as a developer through the ID@Xbox program? Thats all that really matters here, we already knew Unity was coming to Xb1 its just a matter of who can use it, and that hasn't been discussed at all...

5. Meltdown

Meltdown

Each development team is carefully reviewed on a case by case basis. Previous released titles, team member past experience and current titles in development all play a factor.

6. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Thats cool, Its a decent policy in my opinion. Though, I get the feeling that MS is deliberately making it seem easier than it is, lots of people are saying this is the new XNA when it doesn't actually appear that way at all.

7. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Yeah, while it may fill the same overall purpose I wouldn't really consider it to be the same as XNA either. XNA seemed to me to be a great set of tools for beginning game development*, where this is a system for people who are already good at it to get their game on a big-three console.

* That's not all it was good for, but it seems to have been the focus

8. voltage

voltage

Xbox one's price tag however, is not so enticing.

9. Meltdown

Meltdown

Eventually every indie developer will be able to develop for Xbox one. It won't be limited to a select few. Only the initial program will be limited to the select few.

And yes this does replace XNA in a way, as MS has partnered with Unity to 'replace' XNA with Unity. A smart move IMO, than having MS trying to pump millions into building/upgrading XNA to something that could even begin to compete with Unity.

10. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Problem is, Indie developers will ALWAYS BE SECOND CLASS CITIZENS on XBox. Microsoft will not change that policy and indies will always be forced in something like XBLIG fighting for bread crumbs. Microsoft will not risk their own studios by inviting the indies to sit at the same table. And that's the truth.

11. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Have you read any of the available info about this?

From Microsoft:
    Specifically, in multiple places, it's been stated that all games will be available through the same storefront. While I assume that there will still be featured titles and/or advertising outside of the storefront, the impression is very much that if someone is browsing the store they'll be seeing indie titles in the same listings side by side with big budget titles from major publishers.

The point is that they're curating this. You need to pass console certification and you need to meet a minimum quality bar to get in the front door. There's no need for them to shunt this stuff into some out of the way corner around the side.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  12. Meltdown

Meltdown

You're living in the past.

13. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I think Microsoft's best move would be to tell indie developers that if they want to develop for Xbox One they need to first release the game on Windows phone 8 or Windows 8, once a game is published on these stores for the developer can apply begin to submit Xbox One titles. Microsoft would have more games on Windows phone 8 and Windows 8 stores due to this being the route for Xbox publishing. Because these stores are dead in the water its stupid of them to expect us to bother porting games, but if the shiny Xbox One was at the end of the tunnel it would all change :D

This process would require only faith in there own company and by combining the confirming that a developer can output a quality product and publishing on the more Windows stores would potentially save money due to combining these things. This is just in theory though as for it to work the Windows stores would need to stop publishing the products they are now and be much more strict.

14. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Did you guys see this seems like the Xbox is going to be obsolete coming out the gate, everything is going to run in 720p
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lTkCS_0KbBY&feature=g-high-u

15. BFGames

BFGames

I am excited about this. But seems hard to get in without any titles already under your belt. Lets see how it ends.

16. RvBGames

RvBGames

17. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Yeah I got an email

18. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I think the same thing will happen that always happens you will have the featured content, and people will only buy from there, at the start they might try a few games but after a bad games they will probably stick with the same games. Unless its highly curated which means the average indie wont be able to get in, its kind of a catch 22.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/192755/XBLA_dropped_for_Xbox_One_all_games_lumped_together.php

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  19. im

im

well put!

20. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

What's worth noting is that, it seems they have upgraded there ID@Xbox website (or its a part that I haven't seen).

Its clear that this is not the replacement for XNA, though IMO in the future Unity is in a good position to take that position based on what is stated at the bottom of the quote. I think this is good and it sounds like developers get two free Xbox One dev kits so thats awesome :D