Search Unity

Big Store with 50k+ objects

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by gfxguru, May 2, 2014.

1. gfxguru

gfxguru

Hi,
    I am presently studying about the feasibility of a 3d store, like a supermarket with 10000s of different producs(objects), totalling 100k of object in the scene. It is deployed as webplayer. I am doubting whether it can be done in an easily downloadable way. Since it is big single room we cannot have much occlusion or such method to cull.Two important things are:
    1. How to load this much data with less waiting time for users.
    2. How can we manage this much object in one scene.

Please do help with your valuable experince and comments.

Thanks in advance

2. Suddoha

Suddoha

I think you can do alot of occlusion culling there if you do have unity pro.
    As for the objects, do they all need to be a single object? You could include several 'products' into one mesh unless you really want to have every product as a single mesh.

3. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

When I walk into my local real supermarket I can't see the wine and beer which is over in the far left corner of the store. Actually, I can't see much at all, since the store is arranged into aisles, and I have to walk down the first aisle (which happens to have fruit and veg) before I get to other product areas. I'd assume the same approaches can be used in a virtual store. As the player walks around, start fetching content for the next aisle.

From a technical point of view, you'll want to use asset bundles, and will probably need to purchase a caching license to reduce your cdn costs.

4. techmage

techmage

You could get anything to work with some effort. I work at a company that focuses on interior retail design of retail spaces, and this is actually what I use unity for alot, making retail stores in 3D and then deploying to the iPad. Nothing quite as big as 100k objects, are you making a walmart? I've made smaller stores, like mall boutique shops. Have actually gotten entire stores compacted down to good enough specs to run at 60 fps on an iPad 2. The way you do this really depends on what your target is.

If you can maintain some higher end hardware, and you don't need an absolute 60 fps. You could just toss everything in a scene and let it go.

However if its going to go on mobile, you need to employ lots of texture atlasing and pre-combining of meshes. I use this package to do that: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/159258-Mesh-Baker-by-Digital-Opus-RELEASED
    It has a few quirks which you gotta sort out, but it has proven to be reliable to me for that purpose.

Last time I tried, static batching something with tons of objects on iPad 2 just couldn't work because of how much RAM static batching takes up. It would make the iPad 2 run out of memory with so many objects. However it was like 2 years ago that I last tried that, maybe it's changed? But I've been just manually setting up mesh combining and atlases with that mesh baker tool.