Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity UI big problem with lacking materialpropertyblock for ui image

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by mahdiii, Nov 30, 2017.

1. mahdiii

mahdiii

Hi all. I need to use materialpropertyblock for UI images. How can I handle it?
    I have a lot of UI square images that have different properties (Color property for example or another one). Thanks

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    mdrunk likes this.
  2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

You can't use material property blocks with UI. What is it you want to change? Color is better changed through the UI components than a MPB. The color is placed into the mesh as vertex colors. If it's just lots of squares then changing the sprite color is perfectly fine. You could also write a custom component that puts the color into the vertexes yourself if it needs to be more complex.

3. mahdiii

mahdiii

Thanks, I have written a custom shader. The property is not color. I know an image ui has a color property
    it is four float (vector4: x and y bottom left coordinate point and height width) , I need to mask a texture on these squares and overlay them
    I almost have 200 squares and can not have 200 pass call for that

Last edited: May 27, 2022
  4. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

What about putting the data into a different channel such as uv1 or uv2? The canvas allows for adding some extra channels. I have done something similar in the past using uv1 and a custom sprite to write in the channel.

mahdiii likes this.
  5. mahdiii

mahdiii

perfect I understood it
    Can you refer to me a link about that?
    So I set a channel uv2 float4
    float4 uv2:TEXCOORD2. my data are between 0 and 1 but I think a texture RGBA can not have enough precision
    putting the data into a channel instead of sending to a shader with setvector

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  6. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

You can create a new BaseMeshEffect class and then put the data into the verts like this example:
    Then make sure you have enabled the channel in the canvas under the Additional Shader Channels

7. mahdiii

mahdiii

some questions:
    1- ModifyMesh override function is executed only once?
    2- can we add different channels for different uis or not (in other words can we add texcoords to special uis not a canvas)

8. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Its called whenever the canvas needs to generate a mesh. https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/UI.IMeshModifier.html

What do you mean uis? You can modify selected elements, you dont have to attach your MeshModifier to every element.

domportera and mahdiii like this.
  9. mahdiii

mahdiii

no, you said I must change Additional Shader Channels from the canvas so I can change it only for the canvas and if I want to have different channels for different images for example,I need to add all channels to consider all of them

10. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Yes you need to make sure that the responsible canvas has the additional channels enabled. Then you can modify its child images.

11. mahdiii

mahdiii

:) again thank you
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Linq;
    2. using System.Collections;
    3. using System.Collections.Generic;
    4. using UnityEngine;
    5. using UnityEngine.UI;
    7. [AddComponentMenu("UI/Effects/Position As UV1", 16)]
    8. public class PositionAsUV1 : BaseMeshEffect {
    11.     [SerializeField]
    12.     RectTransform m_maskImageRectTr;
    13.     [SerializeField]
    14.     RectTransform m_imageRectTr;
    15.     Vector4 vec;
    16.     [SerializeField]
    17.     int m_rowIdx;
    18.     [SerializeField]
    19.     int m_colIdx;
    20.     [SerializeField]
    21.     Vector2 m_margin;
    23.     // Use this for initialization
    24.     protected override void Start() {
    25.         base.Start();
    26.         Vector2 vv = m_imageRectTr.sizeDelta.Divide(m_maskImageRectTr.sizeDelta);
    27.         vec.x = ((m_colIdx - 1) * (m_margin.x + m_imageRectTr.sizeDelta.x) + m_imageRectTr.sizeDelta.x) / m_maskImageRectTr.sizeDelta.x;
    28.         vec.y = ((m_rowIdx - 1) * (m_margin.y + m_imageRectTr.sizeDelta.y) + m_imageRectTr.sizeDelta.y) / m_maskImageRectTr.sizeDelta.y;
    29.         vec.z = vv.x;
    30.         vec.w = vv.y;
    31.     }
    32.     public void SetRowCol(int _row,int _col) {
    33.         m_rowIdx = _row;
    34.         m_colIdx = _col;
    35.     }
    36.     protected PositionAsUV1() { }
    38.     public override void ModifyMesh(VertexHelper vh) {
    40.         UIVertex vert = new UIVertex();
    41.         for (int i = 0; i < vh.currentVertCount; i++) {
    42.             vh.PopulateUIVertex(ref vert, i);
    43.             vert.uv1 = new Vector2(vec.x, vec.y);
    44.             vert.uv2 = new Vector2(vec.z, vec.w);          
    45.             vh.SetUIVertex(vert, i);
    46.         }
    47.     }
    48. }

Code (CSharp):
    1.     struct appdata
    2.             {
    3.                 float4 vertex : POSITION;
    4.                 float2 uv : TEXCOORD0;
    5.                 float2 uv1 : TEXCOORD1;
    6.                 float2 uv2 : TEXCOORD2;
    7.             };
    9.             struct v2f
    10.             {
    11.                 float2 uv : TEXCOORD0;
    12.                 float2 uv1 : TEXCOORD1;
    13.                 float2 uv2 : TEXCOORD2;
    15.                 float4 vertex : SV_POSITION;
    16.             };
    18.             sampler2D _MainTex;
    19.             float4 _MainTex_ST;
    20.             sampler2D    _OverlayTex;
    21.             float4 _Rect;
    22.             fixed4 _Color;
    23.             float _Factor;
    24.             float _Factor2;
    25.             v2f vert (appdata v)
    26.             {
    27.                 v2f o;
    28.                 o.vertex = UnityObjectToClipPos(v.vertex);
    29.                 o.uv = TRANSFORM_TEX(v.uv, _MainTex);
    30.                 o.uv1=v.uv1;
    31.                 o.uv2=v.uv2;
    32.                 return o;
    33.             }
    35.             fixed4 frag (v2f i) : SV_Target
    36.             {
    37.                 // sample the texture
    38.                 fixed4 col = tex2D(_MainTex, i.uv);
    39.                 float2 overlayUV=float2(i.uv1.x,i.uv1.y)+i.uv*float2(i.uv2.x,i.uv2.y);
    40.                 fixed4 col2 = tex2D(_OverlayTex,overlayUV);
    41.                 fixed4 finalCol=fixed4( col.r<=0.5 ? 2*col.r*col2.r: 1-2*(1-col.r)*(1-col2.r),
    42.                                         col.g<=0.5 ? 2*col.g*col2.g: 1-2*(1-col.g)*(1-col2.g),
    43.                                         col.b<=0.5 ? 2*col.b*col2.b: 1-2*(1-col.b)*(1-col2.b),1);
    44.                 finalCol=lerp(finalCol,col2*col,_Factor);
    45.                 finalCol=lerp(col,finalCol,_Factor2)*_Color;
    46.                 finalCol.a=col2.a;
    48.                 return finalCol;
    49.             }

Attached Files:

12. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Looks great. Happy to help :D

13. pbhogan

pbhogan

What is the justification for this obtuse restriction? Why doesn't CanvasRenderer have material property blocks?

It arbitrarily limits UI elements and its super unintuitive. I'm trying to write a custom UI component with a fairly complex shader that needs quite a few bits of data passed in and that's in addition to vertex colors and UVs.

I originally wanted to pass in several properties but I've been banging my head on this for hours only to come to find out there is no way to even pass in a single color property on a per instance basis. Encoding a uniform property value into additional UV channels is just silly and inefficient. And what if we wanted to pass in a second texture?

I need many instances of this component with differing data values so I don't want draw calls to scale with instances.

14. Aaron-Meyers

Aaron-Meyers

+1 for using MaterialPropertyBlocks with CanvasRenderer. MaterialPropertyBlock is an essential unity workflow. Why should it be any different for UI components with custom shaders/materials?

MrDizzle26 and chrismarch like this.
  15. better_walk_away

better_walk_away

Unity really should consider adding MaterialPropertyBlock for CanvasRenderer. My game consists mostly UI Text and Image that are using CanvasRenderer. This will have huge impact on my workflow.

MrDizzle26 likes this.
  16. fabiosagaz

fabiosagaz

Same problem here. This makes no sense at all. They could simply allow it to work. I have thousands of objects on a UI I need to set parameters dynamically, but there's no way to make it performantly assigning parameters manually

MrDizzle26 and Julien_at_work like this.
  17. tweedie

tweedie

Just came across this limitation for the umpteenth time.

There might be good reasons for this, but with no explanation why this is the case, it seems like such an arbitrary limitation. UI is such a great candidate for MBPs - 99% of the time, if I need a custom shader for a UI element, its going to be broadly the same with a few unique parameters. But nope. The "best" way I've worked around this is by trying to squeeze things into the rgb of the element's color tint (only good for floats), as that's at least per-element.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    squarelover, MrDizzle26 and mdrunk like this.
  18. Mehrdad995

Mehrdad995

Having "MaterialPropertyBlock" for "UI" would resolve pile of headaches for many of us.
    would be really nice to have it in a future update .

MrDizzle26 likes this.
  19. felipefujioka

felipefujioka

What if I want to use a Dissolve Shader effect and change the Dissolution Level in a specific renderer? That would require the support for controlling the renderers canvas by canvas.

20. Thomas-Mountainborn

Thomas-Mountainborn

Just gonna pitch in my support for MaterialPropertyBlocks for UI. Unity's UI has basically not changed since 4.6 in 2015, and yet UI is such a major part of any game or application. The kind of projects we build at the company I work at are pretty much only UI. Having to use new material instances for each UI element that you want to do more with than just the basics is a real performance bottleneck. Hacking around this by using additional shader channels is not a scalable or user friendly solution.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  21. j4n

j4n

Oof, just my luck. This is actually my first time writing a custom shader for something I need, and I just slammed against this roadblock that exists for no apparent reason.

MrDizzle26, Fressbrett and mdrunk like this.
  22. RedVonix

RedVonix

Adding my vote that MaterialPropertyBlocks are flat-out needed for UI. There is still too much separation between the UI rendering and standard Rendering for UGUI to integrate smoothly into the rest of the Unity workflow. I've been hitting UGUI based roadblocks daily for months now due to UGUI not integrating well with Unity's rendering.

MrDizzle26 and mdrunk like this.
  23. altair2020

altair2020

+1 MaterialPropertyBlocks

MrDizzle26 and Fressbrett like this.
  24. ianwexl0rz

ianwexl0rz

+1 MaterialPropertyBlocks for UI

I'm using MaterialPropertyBlocks to set data per renderer in custom shaders throughout my game. This limitation for UI interrupts my usual workflow and introduces seemingly unnecessary complexity. If there is a good reason for this, I would also appreciate an explanation.

MrDizzle26 and Fressbrett like this.
  25. Ruzihm

Ruzihm

I'm also chiming in with a need for UI MaterialPropertyBlock

MrDizzle26 likes this.
  26. Alexander_V

Alexander_V

GPU instancing is essential for UI. Please bring prop blocks to Canvasenderer. For example, I need to pass unity gradient into the shader and it 8 Colors + 16 floats(for positions).
    Also, I'm developing GPU scrolling tech for UI so setting prop block is needed.

MrDizzle26 likes this.
  27. MrDizzle26

MrDizzle26

+1 for UI Canvas material property blocks!

28. TJHeuvel-net

TJHeuvel-net

Its probably because all UI is baked to one mesh, so there are no multiple renderers to attach data to.

29. Pawl

Pawl

+1 Just ran into this and was surprised to find out that UI does not support MPB, would love to see support for this to provide API and developer consistency.

30. jamespaterson

jamespaterson

Would be good to get this supported. Or least a good reason why not :)

31. TJHeuvel-net

TJHeuvel-net

The UI is one renderer, hence no per-renderer-data. You can modify the meshes generated though.

32. jamespaterson

jamespaterson

Thanks for the response - this makes sense I guess. This is a limitation of the unity UI architecture rather than the GPU itself though I would have thought?

33. TJHeuvel-net

TJHeuvel-net

jamespaterson likes this.
  34. jamespaterson

jamespaterson

Thanks for the suggestion :)

35. Yandalf

Yandalf

Sorry for necroing, but then what's the purpose of the Canvas Renderer component that gets thrown everywhere? You'd think those would be an opportune target to hang PropertyBlocks to, without any knowledge of the inside of the system.
    That said the people here are right that as long as we have no official word about why this limitation exist, this might as well be arbitrary and considering it is almost reflexive for users to try this, Unity should implement it.
    The UI system as-is is really good, but adding a few features like these would make it so much less of a headache to work with and improve performance to boot, as it allows us to bake much more into a single draw call instead of having to split up all our elements!

Sorry for a bit of a ramble, but this discovery has basically put me back on square one for something I'm working on.

36. artplayer

artplayer

No solution yet?
    Has anyone managed to get around this problem?

37. TJHeuvel-net

TJHeuvel-net

See my response, there is only one 'renderer' for UI. Everything is combined to a single mesh, and a single draw call.

It might be possible to achieve the same if you add mesh modifiers and pass in custom data.

38. chriscode

chriscode

Yeah this caught me out too. You just assume that if you can set a custom material with custom shader like you can for other things that you'll be able to use property blocks. May be some reasons under the hood, but not intuitive.

39. Yandalf

Yandalf

Except it's not? UI elements create new draw calls all the time as soon as there's notable differences between two elements. There's a reason why voices critical of the current system suggest to use as few elements as possible and bake as much into simple bitmaps as you can (overdraw being the other major reason).
    Frame debugging UI quickly shows that if what you're describing is the intended effect, then the current system is doing a pretty meager job of it.

40. TJHeuvel-net

TJHeuvel-net

You are right, i oversimplified. There is more than one draw call, for example for each panel, or material.

However it does attempt to batch multiple elements together in renderers, and that is why you cannot have per renderer data.

41. madGlory

madGlory

+1 this completely bonked me.

MrDizzle26 and jashan like this.
  42. jashan

jashan

So how is it that you can use a different material for each UI element?

The funny thing is: Unity seems to internally use MaterialPropertyBlock or something equivalent for using different textures for sprites / images. Have a look at UI-Default.shader - it's right in the very first line:

Code (CSharp):
    1. [PerRendererData] _MainTex ("Sprite Texture", 2D) = "white" {}
    So, apparently, Unity uses "PerRendererData", which is also what is used for the general MaterialPropertyBlocks, to solve the issue of putting the sprites / textures into the rendering system without needing a different material for each sprite / image.

Not being able to use the standard procedure for this is super-annoying. I'd need this to set an HDR color for an Image (I already have a shader that supports that but I'd rather not have to create a new material for each instance). Obviously, if vertex colors would support HDR, that would be preferable - but I doubt that they do because otherwise, the restriction to non-HDR colors in Graphic wouldn't make sense. So basically, what I'm trying to do is use the usual color for the base color, and then increase value via a HDR-tint. Any other ideas on how to achieve that, @karl_jones ?

I guess I'll have to dig into the implementation of Graphic to figure this one out.

EDIT: Hrmpf ... so, first I tried Graphic, then Image, then RawImage. RawImage calls a method SetTexture(...) on CanvasRenderer. Unfortunately, that's where my search ends - because that's a call into some native Unity code that I don't have access to. The method description says: "Sets the texture used by this renderer's material". So, most likely this does exactly what I'm assuming it does but there doesn't seem to be an API for me to do the same. Not cool. This is pretty dumb because it means I have to create a different material for each of my backgrounds instead of being able to use one with MaterialPropertyBlocks. Not happy.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    MrDizzle26 likes this.
  43. unity_q7DClpA5dzbzxA

unity_q7DClpA5dzbzxA

Another +1 for this. This is making things quite painful.

MrDizzle26 likes this.
  44. Eric-van-Gastel

Eric-van-Gastel

After 4 years since the original post, another +1 from me. Specifically for a blur shader that shifts with the alpha of a fade layer behind popups and dialogs.

B-Erolskiy and MrDizzle26 like this.
  45. alan25799

alan25799

+1

MrDizzle26 likes this.
  46. treecki

treecki

47. NullQubit

NullQubit

48. unity_q7DClpA5dzbzxA

unity_q7DClpA5dzbzxA

49. TurgutHakki