Search Unity

Big list of web game portals for developers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by drmop, Oct 2, 2017.

1. drmop

drmop

2. FMark92

FMark92

Y8 is that high? That was a shock. Granted I haven't been there for years, but it didn't strike me as anything more than another .swf file bump.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  3. drmop

drmop

Yeah, I was also surprised that Miniclip wasn't at least 2nd place and that Newgrounds was so high up there. The Alexa ranks do vary over time though, this is just the rank on the day.

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

Nice list! I'm pleased to see itch.io and gamejolt up there, but not so happy to see y8, as I just found a pirated version of my game there. As far as I can tell, they don't do revenue share, either (you upload games for "noncommercial" purposes).

5. Shack_Man

Shack_Man

Did you upload it in Newgrounds? All games uploaded there end up on Y8, not stealing though.

Oh and thanks a lot for the list! In my opinion webportals are underrated. For me as a beginner they are a great way to get feedback on small titles.

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

I didn't submit it to Newgrounds, only Wooglie, Kongregate and GameJolt.

I'm actually not familiar with Newgrounds, but I don't see anything in the submission instructions there saying content will end up on y8. Newgrounds seems alright: they describe their background, it has instructions on how to report infringement, and it seems like a fine community.

Y8 in contrast doesn't talk at all about who they are, doesn't say anything about how to report infringing content, they don't list the uploader or source and provide no links or attribution for the games, and if they're just harvesting Newgrounds that seems pretty unethical, questionably legal, and a parasitic way of doing business.

The nice thing about this lengthy list is you can see there are plenty of sites that are respectful to developers and don't just try to make money off them (without their permission). I hope people will keep that in mind when they go to these portals.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2017
    theANMATOR2b and Shack_Man like this.
  7. Shack_Man

Shack_Man

Okay, I change my opinion about them :-( I guess that a game gets stolen is inevitable though, I have seen versions of my games with added cheat codes.

Deleted User likes this.