Search Unity

Big issues on Windows Mobile Unity 4.6x and Unity 5.x.x still

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Muckel, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Muckel

Muckel

Hello,
    well how did u get your Games and App's ported to Windows Phone if you use this:???
    This are the things i use and they don't work on Win Phone!
    1. Network
    2. System.IO
    3. Handheld.Vibrate

Well i'm Unity Pro User since the beginning on Mac... i paid all updates and upgrades in the hope when i need to switch to a different platform it works....
    I published successfully lot of App's and Games on iOS and Android since the beginning.
    Now have to build a App also for Win Phone... thought it's easy to do because Unity (they promised me) is cross platform.... just one click and your done!

NOOOOOO not true and not cross platform!!!
    it's over a year ago when i contacted the Unity stuff about these questions and they promised that all should work in beginning 2015. Now we have mid 2015 and nothing really changed...
    They are missing very important things without that i can not easy port my stuff to Win Phone.
    How long can we now publish to Win Phone? Aha so long but still very buggy....

So as always like on Unity... big big marketing words but than lot of hot air and nothing more...
    Again i'm very disappointed by Unity3d.
    @ Unity3 if you promise something than do it not 3 years later...

2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Copy pasting my reply from another thread where I answered to your questions:

3. yong_jian

yong_jian

Windows phone 8.1 Can't input chinese characters

4. Muckel

Muckel

ok so why not in Unity 4.6.x as promised?
    This is still not working in Unity 5 on Windows Phone
    if(!System.IO.File.Exists(Application.persistentDataPath + "/DemoButton.html")){
    System.IO.File.Copy(Application.streamingAssetsPath + "/DemoButton.html", Application.persistentDataPath + "/DemoButton.html");
    }

k. i understand this is the way to bring Users to update to Unity3d 5

5. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Just tried it on 5.0.0f2. Works perfectly fine.

What do you mean as promised? We never ever gave any promises of certain things apart from UI making their way to Unity 4.6.

No, that's just how development works. When we develop new features, version number goes up instead of stagnating. There was Unity 4.6 with its own features, then 5.0 launched with more features, then 5.1 launched with more features, and soon 5.2 will launch. It's only natural numbers go up.

6. Muckel

Muckel

ok now.
    i have made a simple network app that works with uNet on iOS and Android but still not on Windows Phone... i spend 2 day's just to show now that it still doesn't work with Unity3d 5.1.2p2 and latest beta 5.2b5.
    And ipadressTxt.text = Network.player.ipAddress; is also not supported on Windows Phone.
    We have tested this on 2 different computers and 2 different Windows Phone Lumia series....
    Attached is the demo that work on iOS and Android... Server & Client... but on Windows Phone you only can connect to Server no action is transferred... on Windows with the Editor works but not with Android/iOS as a client...

To the Demo: Start the server and notice the ip. Start the app on client and fill in the ip address... then push Join Server. Now on Server press the HideShowObj btn and on Server and Client the background should hide or show up....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  7. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

We actually got a bug report on this exact thing a week ago, and fix is under way. Case 714846 for reference.

8. Muckel

Muckel

ok hope it will fixed soon...
    btw why does Network.player.ipAddress not work on WP8?
    is there a other way to discover my IP?
    thx

9. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Network.player.ipAddress is the old networking API, which is not supported on Windows Phone.

As for why there isn't a way to discover IP address in the new API: local computer or phone can (and usually does) have multiple local IP addresses (for example, ethernet, wifi, VPN, any virtual machine connection, for phone this could be wifi or cellular network). Moreover IP address exposed to internet will belong to a router. Hence, there is a function NetworkTransport.GetConnectionInfo() which will return IP address of peer connected to you. It's also possible to use native platform APIs to enumerate all local IP addresses - if you're interested, I could get you a code snippet tomorrow.

If the only reason you want to get your own IP address is so LAN clients could connect to you, you can and should use the LocalDiscovery broadcast feature.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  10. Muckel

Muckel

11. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Could you go into more details of what doesn't work in that project?

12. Muckel

Muckel

yes got it working.... but it gives a error on the client only but works... don't know what the error means:
    btw: NetworkManager.singleton doesn't work
    can you help? It's the broadcast example...
    thanks

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  13. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

I think this error is a know issue. To workaround, turn off "Script CRC Check" checkbox in NetworkManager.

Muckel likes this.
  14. Muckel

Muckel

hmm where do i find that magic checkbox?
    thx

15. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Sorry, that checkbox is only present in 5.2 - I got mixed up. There's another workaround, though.

Call this at startup of your game:

Code (csharp):
    1. NetworkCRC.ReinitializeScriptCRCs(typeof(UNetAuthorityScript).Assembly);
    The UNetAuthorityScript would be any of your NetworkBehaviour scripts. It will fix the exception. Make sure it's called only once.

Muckel likes this.
  16. Muckel

Muckel

k super thx.
    what Namespace do i need to add?

i get this errors:

many thxx

17. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

You have to replace "UNetAuthorityScript" with the name of your script that derives from NetworkBehaviour.

18. Muckel

Muckel

thx works .... i'm blind...
    but there comes now a new error up:
    should i ignore that?

19. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Our networking folks say that it's just a warning that's safe to ignore.

Muckel likes this.
  20. Muckel

Muckel

Hello,
    some news when this got fixed?
    I'm on 5.1.2p3
    still can not make a connection from Windows Mobile to Android nor iOS nor Stand alone App. Only Windows Phone to Windows Unity Editor works... All other mobile are working fine...
    thx
    M.

This line made the problem on Windows Phone
    Code (CSharp):
    1. void Start () {
    2. NetworkCRC.ReinitializeScriptCRCs(typeof(NetManager).Assembly);
    3.     }
    if i disable it it works... but got this error messages on device console

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  21. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

"This line made the problem on Windows Phone" - didn't you say that it worked before? Or did I misunderstand you?

The bug in question was fixed in one of 5.2 beta releases. 5.2 is already out of beta and in release candidate stage, so it should be fairly stable if you use it.