Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Big FPS drop and TextMeshPro is really big on android after switch to 2D Lights, LWRP and 2019.2b7

Discussion in '2019.2 Beta' started by MayoNinjaGames, Jul 7, 2019.

1. MayoNinjaGames

MayoNinjaGames

Hi!

So I recently switched to Unity 2019.2.0b7 to take advantage of the new 2D Light system, but I'm having some problems on my android build. I have big FPS drops (down from atleast 60fps to 30-40fps) and all GameObjects that are in the world space has really blown up text that covers up most of the screen.

These problems only occur on my android devices, but not on PC. I've tried changing a couple of different settings, but nothing has worked.

Example screenshot:

https://imgur.com/a/lXtutMA

EDIT: Okay, I'm unsure if this is an issue with the beta version since a fresh new project with only a TMP GameObject displayed just fine on my android devices now. Maybe it has something to do with the switch to LWRP and my font material?

Here's my settings: https://imgur.com/a/HLi2x1w

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    GabrielSants likes this.
  2. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Did these problems occur right after the upgrade or only after you implemented any changes? It would be helpful if you could submit a bug report with a minimal (stripped) reproduction project.

3. MayoNinjaGames

MayoNinjaGames

Okay, so after some digging in old backups I found out that the text problem happends after I switch to LWRP and upgrade the materials using "Upgrade Project Materials to LightweightRP Materials." I'm not able to reproduce this in a new project, so I must have messed something up myself.

Though it's odd that's it's only a issue with android build and not on PC. Don't know if anyone have any pointers to what the issue could be?

4. MayoNinjaGames

MayoNinjaGames

Finally figured out what the issue is! Having "Auto Graphics API" enabled in the Android Player settings is what causes the issue. It seems like I also need to have Vulkan enabled, but I'm not 100% sure about that one. I dunno if this is some sort of bug or an issue, or just me using the wrong settings. I have a sample project now that shows the issue. Do you still want me to file it as a bug?

5. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Please submit it, Unity staff can then decide whether it's an issue they should investigate.

LeonhardP likes this.
  6. PkNofal

PkNofal

I'm having the exact same issue. It was working fine, but then I switched to LWRP so I could use 2D lights and this issue happened. Tried upgrading to unity 2019.2.9f1 in hopes that it'd resolve the issue, but it still persists. I'm also using version 6.9.1 of LWRP. Text appears fine in the editor, but is too large when I build and run it on my android device.

Edit: I've done some further testing and it seems like the issue only happens when using openGLES3. Vulkan and openGLES2 seem to be working fine

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  7. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

If you can reproduce this issue, please submit a bug-report as described in this document:
    https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting

It's important that you report these issues together with a reproduction project if you want them to get fixed. If you don't do it, it might be a long time until someone else reports them or until Unity Technologies find them.

After you submitted the bug-report, you receive a confirmation email with a bug-report Case number. Please post the Case number (number only, not the link) in this forum thread for Unity staff to pick up.

8. PkNofal

PkNofal

I'm currently trying to reproduce the issue, but it isn't working. I'll reply to this thread with the case number if I manage to reproduce it.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019