Search Unity

Big Environment Pack [available]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Jacal, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Jacal

Jacal

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  2. goldencruz

goldencruz

3. Jacal

Jacal

@goldencruz: You're welcome.

4. JoeW97

JoeW97

Hi,

Could you explain how the texture format works? … when I try to edit a texture in photoshop, it loads as transparent.

Thanks

5. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

http://www.fnordware.com/superpng/

6. JoeW97

JoeW97

Thanks very much, that completely solves the issue :)

I've played around with it, and read the superpng manual, but I can't see any reason to use them in this context with Unity. There's numerous other RGB with Alpha formats available that are standard, so why create an extra (albeit small) hurdle to jump over? I guess I'm missing something!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  7. Jacal

Jacal

@Primederektive:Thanks for the help.
    @Steve555: Saving and loading as SuperPng, or without the SuperPng plugin in /Layer /Layer Mask/From Transparency...

8. ValrikRobot

ValrikRobot

This would make an awesome addition to my world

$MyReliefDemoB.jpg

Such nice rocks and trees. Would like to talk about this more privately

9. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Where does this come from? Don't remember seeing it in the pack.

10. ValrikRobot

ValrikRobot

This wasn't part of the pack, I was just showing my creation that I created, and considering using 'Big Environment' to add more details to it

11. ValrikRobot

ValrikRobot

After reading my post again, I get that I made its sound like I was talking about the picture when I wasn't. That's my fault I should have been clearer

12. BES

BES

Jacal I am getting a ton of errors(52) when I add this asset to my project...

Something about "Mismatched serialization in builtin class 'Mesh' "

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=70727

I tried it 4 times now ..each time 52 Errors

So I tried this with a fresh project and im still getting the errors ..nothing is in it except BIG Environment pack... I also downloaded it again from the asset store ..same errors..

Maybe a corrupt asset package from the asset store?

13. Jacal

Jacal

@BES: Which Unity version are you using ? There was a Mismatched import Bug in version 4.3.
    I could also upload an alternative BEP version for you, I will need only your invoice number first, you can send it to Philipp_Schmidt (at) Hotmail .com

14. BES

BES

Unity 4.3.4f1 ...now I know why :D

I will send you the email now .

15. BES

BES

Sorry Jacal ...but its worse ...got 170 mismatched serialization errors ..soon as I added the alternative BEP version to my project..

16. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

The mismatched serialization error is caused by the trees; Unity changed something in 4.2 or 4.3 in Tree Creator that broke almost all trees made before that. You can get them to go away by clicking on every tree in the tree folder one by one and pressing the "Refresh" button in the lower left corner of the tree diagram. It's super annoying to do but it's the only way to fix it as far as i know.

17. BES

BES

Ok thanks, I will try that.

18. goldencruz

goldencruz

lets us now if it works I had the same problem too. and if this work then we have to replace the tress with new ones

19. DirtyHippy

DirtyHippy

I'm curious why the non-standard scale factor was chosen for this. It certainly is easy to rescale a single actor as you suggest earlier in this thread, and I am sure this works fine for a vast majority of unity users who are hobbyists dropping a character in and running around. For complex use cases this is really not an overly workable solution.

To be clear your scenes are leaps and bounds above the others I have bought on the store (in terms of quality-performance) as you do more than just drop a bunch of your assets into a scene and call it a day.

20. goldencruz

goldencruz

has there been any fix to the mismatch to the tress please

21. Jacal

Jacal

@goldencruz: I've currently imported the BEP1 with the newest unity Version, No Errors, no bugs .
    If you still have problems you can send me your project and I can see if I can help.

22. Jacal

Jacal

Good News ! The BEP is now 50% off. (for limited time only)

23. dittt

dittt

Hi,
    Somebody knows where the first shot on the video is?
    I thought it's in the village scene, but I couldn't find it.

this place...

24. tmigh

tmigh

Have the models already been updated to fit the U5 scale?

25. nomax5

nomax5

Is this asset going to be updated for Unity5 or has it already?

I've always had my eye on this but not bought it I do have BEP Vol2 though
    and it was updated with release notes:
    I've always fancied making some castles

Roy

26. Jaimi

Jaimi

If you go to the asset page, there's a version number below the asset that you can click on and see the release notes. The latest release notes for this asset says "Unity 5 ready".

27. BES

BES

28. Jaimi

Jaimi

Delete the imageeffects folder its complaining about

29. BES

BES

Hmm....I was afraid to remove that folder but it seems to be working now ...looks really good ...getting a missing shader log though "vignetting" ..but other than that its really good looking ...looks better than before.

30. MrDude

MrDude

Does Unity5 compatibility imply PBR textures or just "it imports and you can use it" ?

I don't particularly need this asset but I am thinking it would be great to have for future use so I am thinking of picking it up while on sale but one issue I have had since forever with other kits I've looked at (even awesome kits like the ones make by Manufactura) is that when I drop my characters in the scene, the daisies are larger tan them. The grass are all 2m tall and the hanging rope bridges look like 3 or 4 lane highways....

Why in the world, when Unity gives you a character controller that has physics setup for real world units would anyone go and decide "Nahhhhh.... who cares about realistic physics? I want people to redesign everything else they have already done in their project until it eventually becomes compatible with mine" ??? What could possibly make anyone that egotistical to believe their asset is worth so much that everything else should change to accommodate it? Now, as I said, some of the kits I've looked at are actually exactly like that and for the life of me I can't understand why and unfortunately I can't just select everything in the scene and just scale it down so .... what? Do I have to change everything?

This was my main concern with this kit. It looks absolutely beautiful but I have no indication of what the scale is like. Will my 2m tall character be able to hide behind a blade of grass or duck behind a pebble? This is the one thing that is holding me back from buying this immediately. So I came here to have a look and I noticed someone complaining about an odd scale and the "fix" being to make other content larger... Does this imply that I am correct in assuming that this asset was also made for giants only?

If so then I also want to ask: "Why?" Why do developers spend this much time making something that looks this bloody beautiful only to make it useless to any project that doesn't START with this asset and do everything it does to suit this asset? Or didI understand this wrong and this asset is actually of a proper scale? Please tell me I have it wrong. I really, really want to be wrong...

31. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

fyi - I haven't had any issues with characters in any of the BEP sets @MrDude. I've used several of the different demo scenes in the Big Environment Packs and Left Island with no issues. Currently I'm testing with both UMA and Mister Nectorus models and the grass/environment seems to be perfect scale with my characters..

Not sure on the Unity 5 since I really haven't started doing anything with the actual graphics setup. Working mainly on core systems atm. Planning on going back and dealing with tweaking graphics down the road when more artists have updated their stuff for the PBR stuff. Curious to hear Jacal's response about PBR as well.

32. MrDude

MrDude

That is awesome news Shawn, thanks. Could you do me one favor if it's not too much to ask... Could you please create a default CharacterController prefab (the one that is 2M tall) or import the Kyle or Ethan model into the scene and just see how that compares with something like the grass or with the doors of the castle?

@Jackal
    Perhaps you could just upload an image of Ethan / Kyle next to something to use as a scale reference? That would be super useful for people who are so full of it, like me :)

Again, thanks Shawn. So far your news is real welcome... keep em coming, please :)

33. TobiUll

TobiUll

Any serious game developer would not use this pack because the models are not scaled correctly.
    Even if somebody would tempt to manually rescale everything, it would result in wrong physics.
    So currently this pack is absolutely useless.

chelnok likes this.
  34. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Personally have always thought this pack and all of @Jacal s work was particularly awesome!

35. Archania

Archania

But yet you might have to scale things no matter what asset you bring in. Nothing is perfect and if you think that then you need to get out more.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  36. MrDude

MrDude

Is that why there IS a standard size in the first place? They made it so that 1 unit = 1 meter for a reason, no? There is a reason the default character controller is 2 m tall (slightly taller than a person). And WHY is there a standard unit of measure? Why is physics setup to work to real word values? Simple... so that developer can create 3M tall daisies and have fanboys complain "Hey, nobody's perfect".

I actually also find Jackal's work to be amazing (from the screenshots) and actually bought his Left Island and Mobile kits (but haven't played with them yet). The question here was what is this world scaled at? I think TobiUII imported that character at a wrong size, personally because I've seen the standard character controller inside the door of one of the huts and it barely fits... 0.5x2 for a door... that sounds reasonable... The other models I compared the 2M character controller to all seemed reasonable so to me the scale of the models looked just right.... too bad I received the info AFTER the sale so it didn't help me much...

One thing I did notice, though, was that the grass and other plants (basically the stuff you paint onto the terrain) that was bloody huge! 1M tall grass and 2m tall flowers (that flower bed in the castle section)... So the meshes seemed to be properly scaled... but the pained foliage was way off...

This image posted by TobiUII makes me wonder how tall that character of his would be if you place a 2M capsule next to it... either he imported his character at a super small scale or all the screenshots I saw was strategically placed to make the models seem properly scaled

With the scale being what I saw, I would say this kit would be fantastic for use with UFPS but would suck big time for 3rd person games unless you just repaint the grass and flowers which I don't think is too much to do... unless Tobi's character really is 2m tall, in which case I agree that this asset is going to require too much time to fix to be of any real "time saving" use. Rather just get something else...

Standards exist for a reason and that reason is not for people to ignore it so fanboys can say "Yeah, well, up yours...". Noting is perfect but a good start would have been to consider scale when he started... I find it a great shame because I love his style and would love to use this kit for a project I had in mind but until I know for sure what the scale is on this thing I am not going to bother with it.

@TobiUII, dude, import the default Kyle or Ethan characters. They import at a proper size so import them and see how they compare to your character. Alternatively, create a cbe and set it's scale to 1,2,1 and compare with your character. Compare the rest of the asset with that cube and if it works well with that then you know the asset is top nothch... and then please come tell me so I know wether to get this or not! :D The suspense is driving me nuts :)

TobiUll likes this.
  37. MrDude

MrDude

Just as a side note... I was playing that Borderlands game on the XBO the other day and started in space then went down to the planet. There is another truly Awesome (!) asset on the store but I forget the name now... filled with space station models and exteriors and what not and it looks bloody amazing.... but he scaled it so that you need to scale your characters down to 0.001

So imagine trying to create a game like that and having to either fix that asset or this asset or have duplicate versions of each of your characters and their controllers so one can use physics for a 0.002m size human in one scene then use physics for a 4m tall human in the next scene.

"Nothing is perfect and if you think that then you need to get out more" is not even in the remotest a helpful reply at all...
    There exists a standard scale so there is no reason why 50,000 artists can't make models that can be used together. For one to use a scale of 0.001 and another to use a scale of 2 is a mistake. Plain and simple.

When one makes a mistake, it's generally a good idea to fix it, rather than letting countless other people do it for you... For example, if Tobi's model is super small and the scale is actually correct (as I thought it was) then I will admit my mistake and stand corrected... So let's get a definite answer, shall we? Is this thing scaled properly or not...?

38. TobiUll

TobiUll

@AdamGoodrich No, this asset is not awesome. Any serious game developer will notice that. But if it fits your demands, okay. :)

39. Archania

Archania

What he considers awesome and what you consider awesome are probably not the same thing.
    Don't go hating unless you can back it up with your awesome work. Which i can bet some people will not think is awesome.
    And how do you know that I am not some serious awesome game developer? I have no issues with scaling assets or modifying them to fit my needs.

AdamGoodrich and IFL like this.
  40. IFL

IFL

Hypothetical story: you bought a robot because it looked helpful in its advertisements, but when you got it home and tried to use it, it just flailed around and was generally very difficult to use unless you set it up perfectly each time you want to use it. Would it be wrong to go "hating" (sharing your opinion as a customer) if you couldn't create a better robot? I get what you're saying, but it's kind of an invalid point in this context.
    I fully agree and have posted such in another thread in this sub-forum. If the asset is of high-enough quality (like this one), then it's worth the effort to scale it.

AdamGoodrich and Archania like this.
  41. TobiUll

TobiUll

The problem is just that physics don't work right when scaling has to be altered in Unity.
    I am sick of developers telling "There is no ''right scale''".
    Currently I don't use these assets at all, I just wanted bring attention to the fact that the developers did not pay attention to the scaling, and now they have to deal with it or ignore it as long as they can. :)

But I can't stop anyone from buying this stuff. I just said that I would not buy it again.

42. TobiUll

TobiUll

ps: And you can be sure that the developers will spend at least half a year trying to ignore these scaling posts, just like Arthur G. (another developer of environments) did until he realized that he has to change something.

43. Archania

Archania

That can be very true. Would love to see all three of his assets upgrade for unity 5.
    wishful dreams I believe though...

44. acherpil

acherpil

Hi all,

I have a problem to render the trees in the environment pack.
    The trees have kind of fog on them (see attached picture). I'm quite new to unity and I don't know how to remove this 'fog'.
    (I'm doing a deferred rendering, don't konw if it helps)
    Thanks for you answers.

Alex

Attached Files:

45. MrDude

MrDude

Jacal hasn't been on this thread since September 2014 and that was just to advertise a promo. Last time he replied to any support questions was May 2014

I think it's safe to say he has abandoned this product or at least this thread. There hardly seems any point in being subscribed to this thread so I guess I'm off... good luck everyone.

46. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

It is really a shame too, since these are among my favorite environment packs. His brother has seemed to have disappeared too. Character System seems pretty much abandoned too. :(

47. siblingrivalry

siblingrivalry

well this was a really time for me to have purchased this pack :(

has anyone had any communication with Philip recently?

48. sluice

sluice

@siblingrivalry, he took time to reply to some asset store reviews 1 week ago.

All of his 3 Big Environment Pack are now saying Unity 5 ready.
    Does this mean that it's now using the Unity 5 Standard shader?

49. Assets-Reporter

Assets-Reporter

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
    chelnok likes this.
  50. sluice

sluice

Shaderland and Assets-Reporter like this.