Search Unity

Big Environment Pack [available]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Jacal, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Rowlan

Rowlan

I only noticed this asset when The Messy Coder reviewed it last week. So I thought I'd try it. And it quickly moved to the top of my most favorite assets. This asset deserves much more attention, I wish someone would have forced me to check it out sooner. Here's combined with Malbers assets, MicroSplat and Maksim Bugrimov's.

test.jpg
    mb 1.jpg
    inc 1.jpg
    inc 5.jpg
    ud6.jpg
    And that's built-in. Can't wait to see how it looks in HDRP :)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
    shyamarama, pixelR, Goodgulf and 2 others like this.
  2. Invector

Invector

In playmode it's fine, about 2.7 - 3GB as you mentioned, the problem is when messing around in the editor, it's consuming something between 11~12GB here and sometimes when doing heavy processing like importing another package or compiling a shader it's crashing due to heavy ram usage.

I manage to reduce to about ~9gb by changing the quality settings to Very Low, now I can navigate smoothly in the scene

I did the memtest just to be sure and it pass the tests with 0 errors.

3. Jacal

Jacal

@Invector Thats crazy I have something around 630MB in the editor when importing and exporting packages it's going up to round about 2.5 GB, are you using occlusion culling for the scene view camera.
    Do you have the bad editor performance in all scenes of the pack?

4. Invector

Invector

Yep, actually, the first scene I ever opened was the inventory list and I've got a crash so bad that my screen was black and I had to force restart my computer lol

My PC is not that bad I can play most games on high-medium, I have never experienced memory issues before on any project...I really don't know what could be causing this issue, the occlusion culling doesn't make any difference for in editor performance

5. Jacal

Jacal

Do you already tried re importing the pack to a new project, It could be some data messed while importing.
    I have no clue what it else could be since the whole pack just using unity standard stuff.

6. Invector

Invector

I re-import into a new empty project on a faster SSD and although it's consuming the same high amount of ram, at least I can navigate through the scene faster with almost no stutter at all so... I guess it's a win lol

7. Jacal

Jacal

How much ram does the editor consume when you just fly around in the Isle scene now ?

8. Goodgulf

Goodgulf

Hi @Jacal when I saw the review on Messy Coder's channel I got really excited since the original Big Environment Pack was one of the first assets I bought back in 2015 when I started on Unity; I used it a lot over the years. You haven't let me(/us) down and I'm now using it for a proof of concept video on creating a Steam Networking Game (while trying not to be distracted by @Rowlan posting Dragon videos using your environment pack). Keep up the good work and looking forward to a URP updated pack!

p.s. One small request: quite a few of the trees (including almost all Oaks) don't have a collider attached. Can you please add these in an update of the package?

Jacal and Rowlan like this.
  9. Invector

Invector

Pretty much the same, around 8~12gb

10. Jacal

Jacal

Thanks a lot for your nice feedback man! Much appreciated! I'll fix the missing colliders in the next update thanks for pointing that out!

Goodgulf likes this.
  11. Jacal

Jacal

12. Rowlan

Rowlan

Quick combination experiment of this exciting asset with others:

Jacal likes this.
  13. Jacal

Jacal

This looks very cool man, it's awesome to see the world coming to life with dragons and orcs, the water looks nice too! :)

14. Rowlan

Rowlan

Thanks, I was only putting the characters in, there's more to come. Your asset is soooooo awesome, one really wants to dive into the world you created. I even updated my free prefab painter YAPP in order to place the characters conveniently along a spline on the bridge.

You did an excellent job there. Really highly recommended asset :)

Jacal likes this.
  15. Jacal

Jacal

Thanks a lot man, I'm glad you like it.

16. Invector

Invector

I have a suspicious thought that maybe it has something to do with Windows 11 which I'm using it.
    I've tried on 2019 LTS, 2020 LTS, and 2021 latest version, it all behaves the same

And it's something to do with the editor because I've exported a build and it runs beautifully at 80~90 stable fps with no stutter at all

17. Rowlan

Rowlan

This asset is really inspirational. I really like toying around with all kinds of things. Here's with color. Or rather reducing color :)

retro 4.jpg
    scanline.jpg
    retro 15.jpg
    retro 2.jpg
    retro 9.jpg

Swyfft and Jacal like this.
  18. Invector

Invector

I did a clean install of w11 again and wow, performance is crazy good now (both editor and playmode), it was definitely something eating ram from the previous upgrade from Windows 10 to 11, the clean install seems to fix it!

You have done an excellent job performance wise on this scene, it runs so smooth it's pretty incredible!
    Thanks again for the support even though it was windows falt in the end

Jacal likes this.
  19. Jacal

Jacal

That are great news man, I'm happy to hear everything works now smoothly for you!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
    Invector likes this.
  20. Jacal

Jacal

21. Jacal

Jacal

Hi all, a quick update about the srp conversion.
    I tried the newest HDRP version with the new terrain example scene methods from the demo and I got performance problems at medium quality (30-50 FPS), to that HDRP don't support the regular terrain grass at the moment, which is a big problem because I use it a lot in the scenes.

I want to give it try again when the HDRP terrain grass will be supported, at the moment I'm working on the URP version of the pack, it's looking not bad already.

Maybe someone have better ideas about the HDRP conversion, I would like to know what you are thinking.

22. Rowlan

Rowlan

Prior to 2021.2, grass and other details only worked in the built-in render pipeline and Universal Render Pipeline (URP). In 2021.2, Unity introduced instancing details that work with all render pipelines, including the High Definition Render Pipeline (HDRP).

https://docs.unity3d.com/2022.2/Documentation/Manual/terrain-Grass.html

You may also want to check out the Terrain Demo Scene:

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/environments/unity-terrain-hdrp-demo-scene-213198

23. Jacal

Jacal

Thanks Rowlan,
    Thats the Terrain Demo Scene I mean with "terrain example scene methods" , alone in the demo scene I got 25- to max 60 fps on medium settings.
    I also tried the instancing details in my scene and I got perfomance problems on medium settings.
    The biggest problem for the conversion is the missing terrain "grass texture" feature atm because I use it a lot in the pack.
    In URP I have no problems so far I just need to convert all the trees and bushes.

Rowlan likes this.
  24. Artomiano

Artomiano

@Jacal Any plans for a HDRP version? ;)

25. Jacal

Jacal

I would love to make a HDRP version but I still have problems with the missing "terrain grass" feature, I'm working on a URP version atm.

26. bvonline

bvonline

Will the URP version be a separate asset package?

27. Jacal

Jacal

It will be a separate asset package and free to download for all who bought the built-in version.

bvonline likes this.
  28. Jacal

Jacal

Hi guys, I'm finally done with the preliminary BEP URP version, it took me the longest to convert all the bushes and trees from the scenes with adjusting LOD levels and colliders etc.
    This URP version is temporary until the terrain integrated Tree Creator shaders will be supported in URP, untill then you can get a download link to the temporary URP version after sending me your Invoice per email: philipp_schmidt@hotmail.com

I still missing things in URP like TAA, nice ambient occlusion, pointlight shadows ...etc, also the performance is still better in built-in on my side, thats why I personally still sticking with built-in pipeline till URP having the same out of the box.

Rowlan likes this.
  29. Alexandus

Alexandus

Hi there, any hope of an HDRP package for this? Would be greatly appreciated! Loving the art

Jacal and psistalk like this.
  30. Jacal

Jacal

I'm still looking forward to bring the pack to HDRP but I'm still missing things in HDRP which comes out of the box in the built-in rendering pipline, like the standard terrain grass that I heavily used in the scenes, and a replacement for the Nature- (unity tree creator) shaders would be a blessing too.

31. Zaddo

Zaddo

I am trying to load the Low-Poly Big environment Pack into a URP project. I can't find a shader to replace the Diffuse Shake shader that is used on the Vegetation. Is there an easy way to make this work in URP?

Edit: If you email Dev with invoice, he will give you download link for URP version.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
  32. ZenFree

ZenFree

I purchased this asset yesterday however I can not download it through Package Manager. It gets to about 10% and then has a download error. I've tried without Anti-Virus/Firewalls, I've tried on a New Project and a New Install of Unity but still I have the download issue. Anyone know what could the problem be?

upload_2023-1-10_21-8-32.png

33. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

Have you checked that you have enough space on the drive where your asset packages get downloaded? (I think it's usually in C:\Users\accountName\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store)

34. koirat

koirat

I know the creator is waiting for features to be implemented but still.
    Thumbs up for HDRP.

35. frosted

frosted

Hi, I'm wondering what the UVs look like on the low poly environment pack.

Some low poly artists use uv layout that more or less just maps a face to a color swatch (synty does this). This is great unless you need to do additional effects or want to modify, in which case this uv layout makes life impossible.

Does this use more conventional uv layout?

If this uses more conventional uv tiling uvs for rocks etc then I pick it up immediately.

36. magique

magique

@Jacal I just upgraded to Big Environment Pack reforged, but I'm seeing issues in the Isle scene. I haven't tried the other scenes yet. In the Isle scene, I see the following errors continuously accumulate:

upload_2023-10-26_11-7-1.png

I've narrowed it down to the following items in the scene:

upload_2023-10-26_11-7-36.png

If I activate any of these items, the errors start occurring. I tried recalculating bounds on all LOD groups in these 3 items, but that didn't help. There are so many child items in each of these that I cannot determine as yet what the culprit is.

Any ideas?

[EDIT]
    I'm getting the same issues with Big Environment Pack Low Poly version as well.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2023
  37. Jacal

Jacal

Hi, you importet the pack in a fresh project? If you still have this problem please in a fresh project I would like to know what Unity version you are using.

38. magique

magique

Yes, I just imported both into fresh projects and the issue is there. Unity 2021.3.27f1.

39. Jacal

Jacal

I'll check it out, Downloading Unity 2021.3.27f1. right now.

40. Jacal

Jacal

@magique I've found the problem it's a Particle System Bug that appers when using Loop mode at Particle System/Shape/Arc/Loop. It can be quickly fixed by changing the Shape/Arc settings "In the ParticleSystems from the two prefabs Campfire and ChimneyFire" instead of loop to random.
    I'll upload a fixed version to the AssetStore, it could take few days till it's live.

Here is the bug info at the Issuetracker: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...system-with-loop-arch-mode-if-arc-is-set-to-0

sandolkakos likes this.
  41. magique

magique

That fixed it. Thanks so much.

Jacal likes this.
  42. mschineider

mschineider

I have a stupid question, but I need to ask it anyway: How do I set the texture resolution of everything to 2048x2048

43. Jacal

Jacal

@mschnieder I would go to project, select the button on the right /Search by Type / Texture: after selecting all textures I want to change set the Max size at the inspector at the bottom to 2048.then hit apply.