Search Unity

☁ Weather Maker ☁ AAA Clouds, Sky, Weather, Water, Volumetric Light & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jjxtra, Jun 30, 2016.

1. jjxtra

jjxtra

Underwater and buoyancy are on the TODO list :)

nirvanajie, Mark_01 and Dreamaster like this.
  2. Dreamaster

Dreamaster

Epic! Good luck!

3. jjxtra

jjxtra

Thanks. I'm hoping to provide an all-in-one package for weather, water, sky, volumetric light/fog, ambient audio and more. Weather Maker is pretty much there, just needs the underwater and buoyancy, and at some point an option for high quality volumetric clouds.

Mark_01 likes this.
  4. jjxtra

jjxtra

Sending an update today with real-time area light support, including volumetric area lights. Not sure why area lights have to be baked by default in Unity, the performance hit of adding them in is nearly identical to a spot light...

Mark_01 and Dreamaster like this.
  5. ghiboz

ghiboz

great!!!
    another question: could you implement some 'haze'?

6. jjxtra

jjxtra

One of the full screen fog profiles is a "haze" profile.

7. Da-Icon

Da-Icon

Thank you for your help with the networking I was able to solve it and the weather now syncs just fine.

I do have another problem though.. after last update I started getting this error "ONLY AT BUILD"

"Assets/WeatherMaker/Prefab/Scripts/WeatherMakerLightManagerScript.cs(327,50): error CS1061: Type `UnityEngine.Light' does not contain a definition for `areaSize' and no extension method `areaSize' of type `UnityEngine.Light' could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?"

I can hit play without any errors... so i didn't notice this happening until i tried to build a few days later. any ideas?

8. jjxtra

jjxtra

Sending an update for that as we speak. Look for it to hit the asset store within the hour.

9. Da-Icon

Da-Icon

Ty very much.

10. jjxtra

jjxtra

Here's the sparkle video in 4K. If you view it below 4K, youtube horrible compression will blur out the sparkles.

11. ghiboz

ghiboz

thanks! but how can I use it?

12. jjxtra

jjxtra

I would suggest cloning the haze profile first in to your own custom profile. Then drag your new custom profile on to the fog script in the weather maker prefab. Once you are ready, press play. In play mode, once again drag your custom profile on to the weather maker prefab fog script (weather maker clones profiles upon play mode to avoid accidental changes). Now any changes you make during play mode will apply to your original profile.

Let me know if that makes sense.

13. jjxtra

jjxtra

After researching multiple water systems and how they did water caustics in both Unreal Engine and Unity, I realized most are using projectors and/or render textures. I decided to integrate caustics into Weather Maker water today - no projector or render texture required.

Caustics fade nicely as water depth increases or is very shallow, or eye distance from water increases. Sun shadows block caustics as well.

This will be available in version 3.8.1, which should be out later this week. Performance should be just fine even on mobile and VR.

Right now the caustics work only with the sun, no other lights will contribute to caustics currently, and you can't go in the water yet (that is coming).

Here is a screenshot, I would love any input.

Caustics.png

14. Mark_01

Mark_01

To me it looks really good. great ideas :) Really nice work !!!

15. jjxtra

jjxtra

Weather Maker 3.8.0 is out with water bug fixes and water caustics option. Caustics are a 3D texture which can be changed to anything you like. Scale, animation speed, color, distortion and more can be configured.

Enjoy!

16. Da-Icon

Da-Icon

I have 2 Ideas for your water.. First and foremost I love your water. and if you never change it again ill still love it.

adding "floating water plant texture" to the where water meets terrain. (i'm sure that's more work then idea - but it sounds like a great idea)

and closer to the middle of the water plate could go a darker blue or green to simulate deeper water.

Just thoughts and like i said above. if you never change it again ill still be as happy as i am now. This is a great product.!!!!!

17. jjxtra

jjxtra

Thanks for the feedback! I do have a foam option that is not turned on in this demo, but I like the idea of a second shore detail texture.

Any chance you could post a screenshot that looks like what you are suggesting? I am terrible with colors and visualizing things.

18. jjxtra

jjxtra

Sent an update to fix the null ref errors with some lights in demo scenes. I've also removed cloud shadows as they were broken. I will be bringing them back soon. I've also started underwater shader and sounds, but they are not ready yet. You may notice some references to underwater materials and objects, just ignore for now.

This update should be on the store within an hour or two.

Dreamaster and Mark_01 like this.
  19. iichiversii

iichiversii

I'm curious to know more about the clouds, so what I'm working on is a helicopter simulation in unity using VR, I'm wondering if I can actually fly into the clouds ?

20. jjxtra

jjxtra

No currently. You could put a fog cube prefab in the sky and use that however.

21. Da-Icon

Da-Icon

Hi JJxtra,
    (had to re-edit the forums didnt like my images from lightshot :/)
    You asked for help visualizing so i will see If i can picture this right. here is a image of a scene in my build WITHOUT water. To create the "water line" i have actually painted the underwater terrain blue.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1aAbMm6wgPU7qJhhVJSItAfGxeV5b-SPv

This i realize isn't the best option. Part of my problem is that the scene I'm working on is a ocean beach.. the water would be bright greenish then fade to dark blue. For fresh water this isn't so much a problem.
    being surrounded by tree's, grass and shrubs it blends in nicely.

But the beach line has more of contrast in color. So if i leave the bottom unpainted it looks too clear. I know i mentioned adding a second texture to the water edge.. but if you add foam - that may be the only component the scene needs to look better.

I notice you are adding waves.. which is great. but the wave motion causes a odd line as it moves.. possibly if you have it dressed up with foam the line may look better. screenie of that line.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yOkQ7PYslcAeJO7x07FI4tVBEjSBJCZh

the image above has those lines i was mentioning.

You have done a outstanding job. I think you should raise your price back up to 40$ because this asset is worth that.
    I hope the info and images above help with the water changes.
    ps: as a side note: do you recommend one big water plane for the the ocean or a bunch of small ones? I am trying to mitigate fps issues.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  22. jjxtra

jjxtra

You can do one big water plane unless you need detailed waves, then you may need to break it up into multiple.

23. Da-Icon

Da-Icon

Hi jjxtra,
    I know you love my questions.. I have one concerning the sound zone damper. I have created a terrain piece that my player teleports to. This area is a "underground/sewer" area. I wish to completely block or dampen the sound from outside. I have tried dragging a "SoundDampeningMesh and SoundDampeningBox" into the scene into the area where the players is transported.. Neither seem to dampen the noise for the rain or wind... what am I doing wrong?

24. jobo22

jobo22

Hi my brother just bought this asset and we love it! But the snow overlay isn't working for us. I just have everything kept at default settings, but when I drag up the overlay intensity, nothing happens. The rest of the weather works perfectly.

EDIT: It works now! I don't know why, but it does haha. Absolutely love this asset! :)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  25. jjxtra

jjxtra

Glad you got it working. Sorry did not respond sooner, was on holiday.

jobo22 likes this.
  26. jjxtra

jjxtra

Does using the null fog zone prefab work? I think I bundled everything into that...

27. jjxtra

jjxtra

28. RendCycle

RendCycle

29. Kalle801

Kalle801

Im my scene if i add Weathermaker, i get extremely darken Shadows. All Walls and such become Black only, no matter if its normally bright in my scene. How can i change that please. I tryd everything i could try but no luck.

30. Da-Icon

Da-Icon

Hi,
    I have a quick question. How do i stop it from raining or snowing inside buildings?

secondary question:

I noticed in WeatherMakerDayNightCycleProfile that there is the date day and year variables. I have made a reference to them. and added them to my UI... at midnight the date does not adjust... what variable ad where should i be tapping for current date? I do have "adjust date when day ends" checkmarked

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  31. Kalle801

Kalle801

Rain drops are "walking" if I do! How can i fix that please?

32. mlaibow

mlaibow

I have purchased both the Procedural Lightning and the Weather Maker assets. The lightning has been working well.

But I am having a problem with the Weather Maker. It seems to conflict with the Entity Component System (entities package 0.0.12-preview.8).
    I know that ECS is in preview and not a full release, but i know a lot of people are using it already since it allows safe multithreading without getting too far out of unity into straight .net.

If I do not have ECS installed, I can import Weather Maker and it works. If I then install ECS, I get a sharing violation with UNet and the project cannot compile. If I remove either Weather Maker or ECS, it works again.
    The opposite is also true, if I have ECS installed and then I import in Weather Maker, same errors, removing either one and the one that remains works again.

Here is the error that cause it to fail:

UNetWeaver error: Exception :System.IO.IOException: Sharing violation on path Temp\Assembly-CSharp.pdb
    at System.IO.File.Delete (System.String path) [0x00073] in <e1a80661d61443feb3dbdaac88eeb776>:0
    at Unity.UNetWeaver.Weaver.Weave (System.String assName, System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] dependencies, Mono.Cecil.IAssemblyResolver assemblyResolver, System.String unityEngineDLLPath, System.String unityUNetDLLPath, System.String outputDir) [0x002cf] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Extensions\Networking\Weaver\UNetWeaver.cs:1862
    at Unity.UNetWeaver.Weaver.WeaveAssemblies (System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] assemblies, System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] dependencies, Mono.Cecil.IAssemblyResolver assemblyResolver, System.String outputDir, System.String unityEngineDLLPath, System.String unityUNetDLLPath) [0x0004c] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Extensions\Networking\Weaver\UNetWeaver.cs:1888
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    Unity.UNetWeaver.Log:Error(String) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/Networking/Weaver/Program.cs:20)
    Unity.UNetWeaver.Weaver:WeaveAssemblies(IEnumerable`1, IEnumerable`1, IAssemblyResolver, String, String, String) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/Networking/Weaver/UNetWeaver.cs:1896)
    Unity.UNetWeaver.Program:Process(String, String, String, String[], String[], IAssemblyResolver, Action`1, Action`1) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/Networking/Weaver/Program.cs:34)
    UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorCompilationInterface:TickCompilationPipeline(EditorScriptCompilationOptions, BuildTargetGroup, BuildTarget)

It has no mention of Weather Maker, however, I can reproduce it every time I install Weather Maker. Restarting Unity and rebooting my computer do not have any effect, as would usually be the case of a sharing violation in the temp folder.

A bit more info...
    It seems to me that it has to do with the .NET framework version. If I set the API compatibility to .NET 2.x then Weather Maker works but ECS does not. If I set it to .NET 4.x then it is the opposite. I thought that if you set the .NET framework to 4.x but the API compatibility to 2.x it should allow code that uses 2.x and 4.x to run, but apparently not. The issue might just be that Weather Maker is using something from 2.x that is not in 4.x.

Any thoughts on this?
    I would really like to get Weather Maker working, but I can no longer live without ECS.

Thanks,
    -mat

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  33. ghiboz

ghiboz

hello again @jjxtra !
    I have a question: it's possible have an option do disable completely the update process?
    I ask this 'cause also if I set 0 to the update time,there are some things that will update, like the sun position, etc...

thanks

34. imagoculturae

imagoculturae

Dear All
    I have modified the runtime controller in order to set the time of the day to the system time, however I need one final push in order to actually set the time, can you give some help? Many thanks in advance.
    Code (CSharp):
    2.  private void UpdateTimeOfDay()
    3.         {
    4.             DawnDuskSlider.value = WeatherMakerScript.Instance.TimeOfDay;
    5.             if (InputTimeOfDayText.IsActive() && ShowTimeOfDay)
    6.             {
    7.                 TimeSpan h = TimeSpan.FromHours(DateTime.Now.Hour);
    8.                 TimeSpan m = TimeSpan.FromMinutes(DateTime.Now.Minute);
    9.                 TimeSpan s = TimeSpan.FromSeconds(DateTime.Now.Second);
    10.                 InputTimeOfDayText.text = string.Format("{0:00}:{1:00}:{2:00}", h.Hours, m.Minutes, s.Seconds);
    12.                 if (TimeOfDayEnabledCheckBox.isOn == true)
    13.                 {
    14.                     DawnDuskSlider.interactable = false;
    15.                     TimeOfDayCategoryText.text = string.Empty;//(How do I set the string? not really important but would be nice )
    16.                     //MISSING INTEGRATION TO SET TIME TO SYSTEM TIME, MAYBE THIS?
    17.                     // WeatherMakerScript.Instance.DayNightScript.Day = DateTime.Now.Hour;
    18.                 }
    19.                 else if (TimeOfDayEnabledCheckBox.isOn == false)
    20.                 {
    21.                     DawnDuskSlider.interactable = true;
    22.                     TimeSpan t = TimeSpan.FromSeconds(WeatherMakerScript.Instance.TimeOfDay);
    23.                     InputTimeOfDayText.text = string.Format("{0:00}:{1:00}:{2:00}", t.Hours, t.Minutes, t.Seconds);
    24.                     TimeOfDayCategoryText.text = WeatherMakerScript.Instance.DayNightScript.TimeOfDayCategory.ToString();
    25.                 }
    27.             }
    28.         }

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  35. ghiboz

ghiboz

hi again!
    I have a strange question: I wish create a cubemap from the sky using
    camera.RenderToCubemap(theCube);

and it works except for the clouds.. have you got an idea about this?

thanks

36. imagoculturae

imagoculturae

Sorry just got it...

WeatherMakerScript.Instance.TimeOfDay = DateTime.Now.Hour*3600;

37. imagoculturae

imagoculturae

What is the difference between this two?
    Code (CSharp):
    1. WeatherMakerScript.Instance.TimeOfDay;
    2. WeatherMakerScript.Instance.DayNightScript.TimeOfDay;

38. imagoculturae

imagoculturae

Code (CSharp):
    1. [Tooltip("The year for simulating the sun and moon position - this can change during runtime. " +
    2.             "The calculation is only correct for dates in the range March 1 1900 to February 28 2100.")]
    3.         [Range(1900, 2100)]
    4.         public int Year = 2000;
    How do I change this in order to get dates from -5000 BC to 3000 AD?

39. jjxtra

jjxtra

Sorry all Unity stopped notifying me of posts here (again). I'll get to responding ASAP.

40. jjxtra

jjxtra

I haven't tried it. I have recently added water to weather maker. Depending on your needs it may be good enough. And it will definitely outperform the ocean shader and aquas, among other water due to my single pass all light shader.

Mark_01 likes this.
  41. jjxtra

jjxtra

Are you still having this issue? Have you tried tweaking the day night script -> day night profile ambient settings and shadow strength settings?

42. jjxtra

jjxtra

1] Turn on collisions for the snow / rain particle system. This will affect performance so watch that carefully.
    2] I am not able to reproduce this with the latest asset from the store. Feel free to email me and we can figure it out offline.

43. jjxtra

jjxtra

This is fixed in the latest version of the asset.

44. jjxtra

jjxtra

I will get this working with .NET 4 scripting. Look for an asset store update soon.

45. jjxtra

jjxtra

On day night cycle script -> day night profile set day and night speed to 0.

46. jjxtra

jjxtra

The time of day is settable from a 24 hour seconds. The text is read only. So set the TimeOfDay property in the day night cycle script to the second from midnight. So this should work: dayNightProfile.TimeOfDay = (h + m + s).TotalSeconds;

Let me know how that goes.

47. jjxtra

jjxtra

That is odd. I had this working with cubemap rendering a few months ago. I wonder what broke. I will have a look and put an update in the asset store if I can get a fix. Thanks for letting me know.

48. jjxtra

jjxtra

WeatherMakerScript.Instance.TimeOfDay is simply a convenient wrapper around the latter.

49. jjxtra

jjxtra

You can try your luck, but the positions may not be accurate. I don't have any short term plans to support dates out of the range.

Mark_01 likes this.
  50. jjxtra

jjxtra

I am able to reproduce this. I've reached out to Unity to show them the bug. It appears that just having any networkbehaviour in the project will cause this error. So short term you could comment out the WeatherMakerUnet excention code and just leave the null network class. Then you could delete the Unet object underneath the extensions object in the prefab. Do all this before importing ecs. I will post back here once Unity gets back to me.