Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

☁ Weather Maker ☁ AAA Clouds, Sky, Weather, Water, Volumetric Light & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jjxtra, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Hormic

Hormic

Hey jjxtra, thank you for your offer and update!
    It's the same with me, i have so many other assets and my project file is so big, that sending is difficult.
    Also i'm not at that point in development where it would make sense to nail down the weather script now.

My only concern at the moment is that the clouds generation is not working in my project with WM ver. 1.74,
    rest is fine and i can set up day and nighttime, rain and so on.
    I don't know what the reason is for the clouds problem, could it be related to the project settings (colorspace, renderer) or is it because of an interference with another asset? I'm using RFPS and Dialog Studio as the base of the project.

cabanel likes this.
  2. jjxtra

jjxtra

What color space are you using? I just sent an update that fixes linear color space clouds.

3. Hormic

Hormic

Thank you i will check it out soon, right now i use gamma, but maybe will change that later.

4. tachyon-particle

tachyon-particle

Hi,

Here is some feedback of some recent updates:
    * The new ambient colors & intensity for day/dawn/dusk/night is a great feature, very smooth
    * The new storm cloud looks so much better than the older one
    * The new moon looks amazingly good

Some thoughts about improvement to the moon (or a wish list):
    * To be able to set and lock moon phases for the whole night (e.g. New Moon, Waxing Crescent, First Quarter, Waxing Gibbous, Full Moon, Waning Gibbous, Last Quarter, Waning Crescent, etc.)
    * To be able to set different moon orbital direction around the planet
    * Resize moon during runtime (maybe this is already possible, but I haven't tried it yet)
    * Multiple moons (oh wow, this would be amazing)
    * The above feedback of the moon is not just used for an Earth environment, but will be great for Sci-Fi and Fantasy environments

And another wish list for the sky, since it keeps getting better and better:
    * Aurora (this would be an icing on the cake! Imagine the demos for this one....would be out of this world)
    * Shooting star (falling star) from the sky, which could be invoked via code during runtime (this would make this whole weather package very amazing and would be a double icing on the cake :)

I'm looking forward for more greatness in the future!

Thanks again!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  5. tachyon-particle

tachyon-particle

Hi,

Running a build, there is a shader not found message showing up in the "output_log.txt":

Shader 'WeatherMaker/WeatherMakerCloudDomeShader': fallback shader 'Particles/VertexLit' not found

Unity 5.5.1p3 Pro

6. AGregori

AGregori

Hi, this seems to be a great weather system and it costs half the price of the established sky systems, which is a major plus.
    However, is there an easy way to turn on automatic/random weather generation, as in Tenkoku? I can't seem to find info on this. Thanks.

7. wood333

wood333

I asked this back on January 15th, but never got an answer. I tried again today in a clean project. Got the same result.

I just downloaded and imported the latest version of Weather Maker. I get the following two errors with Unity 5.4.1f1, both based on "WeatherMakerCloudScript2D" Since I don't use 2D, what's the best way for me to get past the error messages?

The error messages:
    error 1.JPG
    error 1.JPG
    Assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hello,

Does this asset have a built in snow shader to blanket objects/terrain in snow? also is this system capable of producing a blizzard type effect?

Can weather patterns be slowly increased over time? e.g. light rain slowly turns into a full storm over days of game play?

Thanks.

9. AGregori

AGregori

No longer half the price, in fact it now costs about the same as the established Unity sky systems.
    It's harder to get into and wield than the other systems, but is more modular and noticeably easier on the GPU.
    It's still my personal favorite and 2.0 is a cool update -- I just wish the author would be more present in the forum, oh and if the price would stop hiking.

10. txarly

txarly

hi,

- I have global fog off and fog(from lighting window) on, because i like the distant effect and colour that gives to my game.But when i play the game, the fog color becomes white and Density 0.007479297.Is there a way not to change and have the color and density i give in the begining?
    is possible to change the fog color sometimes during the game so the distant objects have a foggy toon shade?

- I have seen 2 vars(temperature and humidity.What are they use for?is possible to get temperatures so affects the players health?i am using ultimate survival pack

- Really enjoying the weather managers.I have a terrain with different biomes(snowy,forest,...).What is the best way to work with a specific weather manager to a bioma, i mean, for example the player is in the forest so enable the rain manager, enters in the snow, change to the snowy manager, and so on, may be with a trigger zone?

sorry, many questions, thank for your work

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

Is this the correct medium to get presales support?

12. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Ok, I just know this is going to be an easy answer, because I have spent 8+ hours attempting to find the answer before posting so....

How do I make the Sky Sphere larger. I have a simple Rift Experience where you are on a boat and it moves across the ocean. I have placed a mountain along the path, but as the boat object nears it I can see the mountain render into the scene as it comes into the Sky Sphere. Now I would think I select either WeathermakerPrefab or the SkySphere and adjust the X, Y, and Z.... but when I do this I get a blue circle showing up.

I have looked through the YouTube videos, Google, Reddit and cannot find out. I know I am a newbie, but damnit, what dumbass thing am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
    James

13. Akshara

Akshara

It may be that the mountain is entering the camera's Clipping Plane at that moment, rather than entering the Sky Sphere. To check this, on the Rift camera GameObject under the Camera component, look for Clipping Planes and set the Far to double what it is currently and see if things change. If yes, then find the minimum Far distance which works for your experience and set it there.

If it is the clipping plane, then increasing that setting could affect the ocean horizon as well, depending on the ocean asset, which could possibly increase aliasing or worsen performance. If relevant, on the Vive I use a free asset called Per-Layer Camera Culling which allows for setting different clipping plane distances for each Layer, so that for example the ocean and the mountain could be placed on different layers and have unique clipping plane distances.

Hope that helps. I know it's a bit off topic, and may not be related at all, lol, yet it's all Unity in the end.

JamesWjRose likes this.
  14. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

This seems to be the issue, thanks. Looks like I need to tweak some things but learning that the camera has a fall-off point is a good thing to know.

Thank you!

Akshara likes this.
  15. yonson_chappers

yonson_chappers

Hi Jeff,
    I'm having more problems getting the weathermaker up and running. I'm doing a web GL build, I also had the 'postEffectsBase' error so re-imported the file, but now I'm getting a series of errors listed below, could you let me know what I'm doing wrong? I've used the weathermaker fine in other projects.

Many thanks
    John delete.jpg

16. Epimolophant

Epimolophant

Hi! I'm having a very weird bug [edit: nevermind, was caused by another asset]

To make use of the topic, a suggestion: Make the sun and the moon automatically bigger when they get closer to the horizon. Thanks!

17. gibmation

gibmation

Hi, 1st well done - seems like a terrific product.
    Have tried other weather systems but they do not seem to have the great performance that Weather Maker has.

However I'm having some problems setting up with PlayWay Water, has this been tested at all?

Thanks

18. Epimolophant

Epimolophant

I'm using with PlayWay Water and it seems to work fine. Only issue is that it remains lit underwater even if the night is completly dark. What problems are you having?

19. gibmation

gibmation

Hi, yes water seems too dark - check attached images. Cap1 using weather maker, Cap 2 using other.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

20. jjxtra

jjxtra

Everyone- I'm sorry I thought I had turned on notifications for this forum thread but clearly Unity is broken in this regard. I will try to answer all your questions though, just give me a few hours.

21. jjxtra

jjxtra

Thanks for the feedback, I will put it in the queue :) Sorry I didn't respond sooner, Unity is not sending notifications properly. I have emailed them about the problem.

tachyon-particle likes this.
  22. jjxtra

jjxtra

Yes, automatic weather is possible as of a few weeks ago. See the tutorial here:

23. jjxtra

jjxtra

Are you still having this error? I would suggest not using the legacy storm clouds and just using the sky sphere clouds. You can change the line in that shader to Fallback Off.

24. jjxtra

jjxtra

Greetings. I apologize for not responding. I had turned on forum notifications, but wasn't receiving them. I've reached out to Unity for a fix, but in the meantime I will check manually more often.

AGregori likes this.
  25. jjxtra

jjxtra

Temperature and humidity are place holders right now. I will eventually update them based on the current weather state. In the readme.txt it shows an example of how to switch from one automation group to another. Let me know if you have trouble finding it.

26. jjxtra

jjxtra

Can you email me at jjxtra@gmail.com about the fog? Probably easier to figure it out working vie email than back and forth forum posts.

27. jjxtra

jjxtra

I am working on a snow shader, you'll have to manually apply it to the objects you want snow on. I don't have an ETA for release though.

28. jjxtra

jjxtra

Weather automation was added about a month ago. You can set the transition time yourself. Tutorial here:

29. jjxtra

jjxtra

On the sky sphere prefab, there is a sky sphere script, it has a far plane percentage. I think the default is 0.8, but you can change it. Let me know if you have trouble finding it.

30. jjxtra

jjxtra

Great suggestion, I will look into it for sure!

31. jjxtra

jjxtra

Thanks for the post. It should be as easy as dragging the prefab into a scene. Let me know what you found difficult and I'll try to add better documentation and/or video tutorials.

32. jjxtra

jjxtra

I haven't tested with PlayMaker, but that's a good idea. I'll need to download that asset.

33. jjxtra

jjxtra

You'll need to upgrade to Unity 5.5+, as those are the only supported versions right now.

34. jjxtra

jjxtra

FYI I added a rotate Y degrees to the sky sphere script a few weeks ago so you can control how the moon and sun orbit.
    Moon scale should be settable at run-time on the sky sphere, let me know if you can't find it.

I will commit to multiple moons, aurora and shooting star. Hopefully in a month maybe two. Multiple moons is easy but the other two will take longer. Just check the updates :)

Mark_01 and tachyon-particle like this.
  35. jjxtra

jjxtra

Ok I sent a fix to Unity and emailed you a patch file.

36. wood333

wood333

I already use Unity 5.5.2f1, but after waiting months for a response to my original question of Jan 15,I was forced to commence testing alternative store assets. I cannot say if or when we may get around to looking at Weather Maker again, but I do recall aspects of the asset that I liked.

37. jjxtra

jjxtra

Thanks for the feedback. I will double check that error in 5.5, but in the meantime you could just delete or comment out the 2d specific code.

38. gibmation

gibmation

Thanks - Please note its Playway Water, not sure if you have a typo.

39. jjxtra

jjxtra

Yes, my bad.

40. rgarrett7

rgarrett7

Those 3 extra features definitely sound cool!

41. rgarrett7

rgarrett7

Thank you for the comprehensive asset! I especially appreciate the detailed readme file. I am not a fan of video tutorials, personally, so the readme was helpful for me. The new weather automation feature is great, too.

For my WebGL build: I don't see clouds, lightning, or wind. Rain, snow, and hail do work. I am using Safari on a Mac. These all work fine within the Unity editor. Is there something I need to set to enable these features within WebGL?

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  42. rgarrett7

rgarrett7

Just a note: the sun and moon are not actually bigger near the horizon. That is an optical illusion, albeit one you might want to show in your game. I am an astronomy enthusiast, so I can't help myself ...

43. jjxtra

jjxtra

I'm looking into WebGL, it's possible there will be some work to get it working fully. Will post back once I know more.

44. Epimolophant

Epimolophant

I'm stupefied

45. jjxtra

jjxtra

Weather Maker is now 49 USD! I hope this encourages use, and I'm sad I didn't make it on to the sky package promotion on the asset store home page. Multiple moon support is almost ready and will probably get submitted to Unity tomorrow.

46. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Looks like a really good asset. I wish I had bought it when it first came out before the price kept increasing. ;) I am sure it is worth it though after all your hard work. It's come a long way. :)

47. jjxtra

jjxtra

It's not standard Unity procedure, but if you aren't very satisfied within 14 days and I can't fix the asset, I give a full refund. Policy for all my assets.

Mark_01 likes this.
  48. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

How well does this work on Mobile? I would love to use it in my current VR game (I am starting with Cardboard, upping the visuals and extending the levels for Gear VR and Daydream VR.)

49. jjxtra

jjxtra

Weather Maker runs great in VR and mobile. The sky sphere is a super optimized sky + cloud + night sky in one draw call shader that has no branching or ray-tracing.

50. rgarrett7

rgarrett7

Thanks! If you need any help with testing or anything on WebGL, just let me know. WebGL does seem to be a little quirky.