Search Unity

☁ Weather Maker ☁ AAA Clouds, Sky, Weather, Water, Volumetric Light & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jjxtra, Jun 30, 2016.

1. jjxtra

jjxtra

Re-uploaded late last night, try downloading it again.

2. jjxtra

jjxtra

Wow that looks wrong :) Is the configuration canvas prefab at the root of the hierarchy?

Duffer123 likes this.
  3. Duffer123

Duffer123

4. jjxtra

jjxtra

Can you double check the canvas scaler is scale with screen size?

5. jjxtra

jjxtra

Some people have had questions about random weather. The tutorial video is kind of long so here is the short answer: you can easily create global random weather by simply activating the global weather zone object under the prefab. Or you can place weather zones throughout your game with different weather group profiles. Up to you!

Just make sure your main camera has a trigger collider and an audio listener.

Mark_01 likes this.
  6. jjxtra

jjxtra

Weather Maker has a discord channel! Visit https://discord.gg/5KjfBjt to join. Lots of great discussions and screenshots going on there.

Mark_01 likes this.
  7. jjxtra

jjxtra

Weather Maker 4.1.0 is now available in the asset store with lots of good changes. As always, back up your project first. You'll also need to re-add any water prefabs.

8. p87

p87

hey i'm using 4.1.0, and i am noticing this weird issue where when i go underwater it's kind of sketching out and everything above water starts showing up as white, see below embedded video. Any idea what might be the cause?

I've followed the readme (i think) - camera is clearing solid black, i have player tagged object with the child camera tagged maincamera, camera has a rigidbody set to kinematic and a sphere collider set to trigger with radius 0.001. The camera object is offset on the y axis a bit, so its y position is above the parent player gameobject position. Linear color space, etc.

One thing of note, i suppose, is that i'm on mac OSX using an RX 580 in an external GPU setup, and the external GPU support is a fairly new thing in OSX high sierra thats only been around since about march. So the drivers themselves may be a bit dodgy. The editor seems to be running in openGL 4.1 mode. if there is any additional information i can provide, i would be happy to do so. I haven't had a chance to try it on windows.

9. jjxtra

jjxtra

I’ve not done any Mac testing so I will do that and get back.

p87 likes this.
  10. p87

p87

i just double checked and im not sure mac is the issue - i dont experience this issue in the water demo scene, the water demo scene seems to work fine. I think i've janked something up in the particular scene i'm working on.

11. p87

p87

ok, i found it ... i guess i rescaled the water prefab on the Y axis and that was causing the issue. Usually i just scale the water on the X and Z axis, and leave it to 1 on the Y axis.

i can reproduce the issue by dropping weather maker prefab in scene, then changing the Y axis scale to 1. Issue is resolved by reverting the prefab back to a uniform 4096 scale on all 3 axis.

12. jjxtra

jjxtra

If you go under water, you will want to keep that y scale for sure as it influences when the player can be under water. The water mesh is a cube. I am testing on my mac now, opengl works fine, metal has some strange artifacts (like triangle outlines) that I am looking into.

13. p87

p87

that explains it, didn't realize the water mesh was a cube. I'm used to it being a plane :)

Thanks for the quick response, i'm enjoying the asset and all of the updates you've been doing. Keep up the excellent work my friend!

14. Kalle801

Kalle801

hmm i get no ambient sound in my scene.
    and could you please make an integration for uSurvival?

15. jjxtra

jjxtra

You need a weather zone for ambient sound, or you need to set a profile on the player object. If you open the demo scene, you can activate "GlobalWeatherZone" under the prefab, or go to the Player object and find the sound zone script and drag a sound profile in there.

16. derkoi

derkoi

I have a question that might be a bit silly.

I want to rotate the sky to match my real world based terrains north, Is the sky's Z axis north or something else?

Thanks

17. Kalle801

Kalle801

Not even a sound zone works. Only rain zones do work with sound.

18. jjxtra

jjxtra

You can rotate the sun by change the y rotation in the celestial object script attached to the sun.

derkoi likes this.
  19. jjxtra

jjxtra

Please try "demo scene weather zones". Let me know if you get ambient sounds for clear weather and no ambient for rainy / snowy weather.

20. Kalle801

Kalle801

In the Demo Scene it works just fine. In my scene not even the Manager active does anything.

EDIT: It works. I should try to work with zones a bit more. I just like the global things ^^

PS: I try to use Hard Shadows but these are Pixels only.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  21. jjxtra

jjxtra

Ok, let me know if you need further assistance. You can email support@digitalruby.com or visit the Weather Maker discord channel at https://discord.gg/5KjfBjt

22. derkoi

derkoi

Thanks, I'll try that.

Is there a way to make the single weather profile have no fade in when the scene starts? Thanks

23. jjxtra

jjxtra

On the weather zone script, there is a single profile transition duration, set to 0,0

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    derkoi likes this.
  24. derkoi

derkoi

Thanks, how can I set this in script please?

I tried this but it's not working:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.  WeatherZone.SingleProfile.TransitionDuration = new RangeOfFloats(0,0);

25. jjxtra

jjxtra

WeatherMakerWeatherZoneScript has the property too, try that. Make it a tiny value, I think it is ignoring zeroes, I will fix that later.

Code (CSharp):
    1. WeatherZone.TransitionDuration = new RangeOfFloats(0.001f, 0.001f);

26. jjxtra

jjxtra

Willbkool_FPCS likes this.
  27. derkoi

derkoi

Hmm, I tried that bug get this error:

Edit:

This works but it's a bit hacky:

Code (CSharp):
    1.    RangeOfFloats floats = new RangeOfFloats();
    2.         floats.Minimum = 0.001f;
    3.         floats.Maximum = 0.001f;
    5.         WeatherZone.SingleProfile.TransitionDuration = floats;
    Had to change back to WeatherZone.SingleProfile.TransitionDuration too as WeatherZone.TransitionDuration was continuously trying to swap the weather and the cloud were spinning around

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  28. jjxtra

jjxtra

Sorry that is the danger of coding in a web form. You should be able to do

Code (CSharp):
    1. new RangeOfFloats { Minimum = 0.001f, Maximum = 0.001f };
    ```

29. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

I'm getting strange light effects when I add Weather Maker prefab to a scene. This is only when weather maker is in the scene.

I see light refections of tree limbs and leaves, even when there are no trees near by.
    See picture attached for example.

I've tried adding the point lights to the light manager and also tried putting them ignore, and tried auto find lights.
    I have fog in the scene. It only seems to happen when I get close to the light source. The lights further away don't do it until I get near them.

How can I stop this as it ruins the scene. Any ideas?

Thanks. Grab 20180923182026 w1920h1080 x-162y0z-527r248.jpg

30. jjxtra

jjxtra

Do you know if those are billboard trees? Does it happen without fog?

31. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

I am using Vegetation Studio, so billboard trees are created. I'll turn off the fog and let you know about that one.

32. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

I am sorry, it is not weather maker causing it.
    I turned off billboard trees and the fog. I still get the glowing leaves in the air. Then I turned off weather maker and I still get them. I am not sure of the cause but I'll keep checking.
    They are not stationary, in that they move as I move the character. Once I leave the radius of the light it goes away.
    Sorry to have bothered you, at some point it started and I thought it was when I added weather maker.

It turns out to be something in Vegetation Studio causing it.:oops:

Very glad it's not your weather maker, I love the atmospheres it can create. A lot of new learning with the new version, but it does seem to work even better. Thanks for your hard work and continued updates.:)

33. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Jeff, just to follow up.

The problem was a grass setting in Veg Studio. I had a grass set to 'instanced indirect', when I changed it to 'instanced' the problem went away. It caused the grass to glow and appear in the sky when near a light source, weird.

Just in case someone asks you the same question, it is a VS issue with shaders that are not compatible with the indirect option and can be corrected inside VS.

Thanks for your quick response, as always.:)

34. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Here is a shot of how my scene is coming along with the atmosphere created with Weather Maker. :) Long way to go but I love the feel.
    Grab 20180919220729 w1920h1080 x-102y-20z38r188.jpg

35. jjxtra

jjxtra

Looking great! Keep posting updates :)

dsilverthorn likes this.
  36. Duffer123

Duffer123

@jjxtra ,

Just wondering if you were looking at doing perhaps oceanic water zones as well ie. rolling darker waves and shore line effects...?

dsilverthorn likes this.
  37. jjxtra

jjxtra

Next update, yes! I will have ocean material, waves and foam parameters.

38. Duffer123

Duffer123

@jjxtra , I almost can't believe it! Excellent! Thank you!

dsilverthorn likes this.
  39. Duffer123

Duffer123

I already have my dramatic storm-over-the-sea opening cut scene within my grasp... ;)

dsilverthorn likes this.
  40. jjxtra

jjxtra

I hope it looks ok for you. I am not the worlds greatest designer or artist but I will try to make it look nice.

Duffer123 and dsilverthorn like this.
  41. Duffer123

Duffer123

@jjxtra , with Pegasus and Helios, you betcha!

42. jjxtra

jjxtra

Weather Maker 4.2.0 is available and adds waves, foam and dampening zones. See readme.txt for details or feel free to ask questions here. I've also added ocean and blue water materials.

I am not 100% satisfied with the ocean water appearance and am open to any suggestions or input. Head over to the discord (https://discord.gg/5KjfBjt) for best results :)

43. ClaudiaTheDev

ClaudiaTheDev

I am using the snow overlay and love it ! Especially the noise features are amazing - it looks so good *_* !
    But I really need help with this two issues - I cant figure it out myself :-( :
    1. How can I exclude specific objects/models completey from the snow overlay?
    (Examples: player in third Person game, animal/humans, moving things)
    2. How can I exclude "areas": I have a roof and under this are objects. I want that the area under the roof is excluded from the overlay. Because when the snow falls from above, it falls on the roof. Can i do this somehow with colliders or layers or something?

44. jjxtra

jjxtra

1] Use a null zone
    2] Use a null zone :)

There is an indoor prefab, along with a null zone tutorial where I show how to make a null zone on an outdoor structure with a triangle roof. Let me know if you have trouble finding it in the readme.txt file. Posting here just so everyone can see...

Duffer123, Mark_01 and ClaudiaTheDev like this.
  45. ClaudiaTheDev

ClaudiaTheDev

Thank you for the fast answer! I tried it and it looked and it worked like charm for static objects :)
    For moving objects with a SkinnedMeshRenderer it didnt work so well because of the box collider.
    Instead of the shape of the mesh there was a box on the ground.
    But I could fix the issue by playing around with the Render que.

46. Kalle801

Kalle801

a "Trigger Collider" ?

47. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

@Kalle801
    I think that means a collider on the main camera set as a trigger so that the zones will activate when the camera enters.

48. jjxtra

jjxtra

Yes a simple sphere collider with radius 0.001 and set as trigger will do the trick. You may also have to add a kinematic rigid body depending on if Unity is behaving that day.

Duffer123 and dsilverthorn like this.
  49. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

@jjxtra
    Thanks for the new update! Loving the waves and looking forward to exploring everything in the new update.
    I am so glad I purchased weather maker last year! Your continued support and improvements make you and your assets stand out! :)
    I have seen others speak highly of you and weather maker in other forms! Your hard work is getting noticed.
    Keep them updates coming :)

Duffer123 likes this.
  50. jjxtra

jjxtra

Thanks for your kind words. I am trying. Next on the roadmap is better clouds :)