Search Unity

Bicycle controller

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by csokasibeni, Jun 22, 2019.

1. csokasibeni

csokasibeni

Hello
    Im a beginner of Unity
    A wanna make a bicycle game, and I have a good model
    But I dont know how to make a simple controller
    I need your help guys
    Thanks!

2. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

First you need familiarity with the basics of c#.

Some people will suggest learning straight from unity, but if you are totally uninitiated with programming like I was, it may be better to start with some coding 101 tutorials. Microsoft has some really good ones called "complete beginner c#" or something like that. JUst google its easy to find. You don't need to go too far into it before jumping back to Unity. Just try to wrap your head around how the syntax works and how basic things like functions and variables work is all. I just found myself really confused about all of that until I jumped outside of unity first.

Then, if you do the unity learn section tutorials like roll a ball that should cover the basics of makinig a thing move. You'll need to dig into the documentation deeper to really understand though. Then just try to recreate what you've done from your own intuition. When you run into walls just post your specific questions to the appropriate forum to get advice. Do google search beforehand though because most issues you'll face as beginner have been answered many times already. So that's the fastest and most thorough way to find your answer.

I'd avoid trying to create "realistic" bicycle physics at first. Just a simple push forward to go, press a key to stop type thing will be challlenge enough. from there just add one little feature at a time. It's very easy to become overwhelmed as a beginner so try to manage that. Chew your food slowly -- don't swallow the whole watermelon at once.

Getting more advanced, it may be worthwile to purchase any of the hundreds of controllers available on asset store and reverse engineer what others have done (but first you gotta know enough to know whhat you're looking at.)

deznod2 likes this.
  3. Arowx

Arowx

Check out this input class example for the basics https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Input.GetAxis.html

It depends on how you want the bicycle to work, e.g. you could build a physics based game with two wheels or build your own more game/arcade style of control.

For instance is your game 2D (side or top down) or 3D?

Unity also has a vehicle example in the standard assets a car and a jet the car example could be an ideal starting point for a bike.

https://learn.unity.com/tutorial/live-training-on-physics