Search Unity

Between Light And Darkness

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by BlueRadius, Jul 29, 2011.

1. BlueRadius

BlueRadius

I finally get to start on my first RPG game that I have written design documents for years ago which was origionally intended for PC but decided to optimize for iOS and most likely Android. This game is called Between Light and Darkness and is about a peasent named Leo who has been possesed by evil spirits which have turned his body completely dark purple.
    I started modeling and optimizing existing modular props for the game immediately after I finished my first iOS title Zombie Bounty: Unload For Gold last week.
    I have been modeling my arse off since last week designing/ coming up with ideas about gameplay, items, stationary dynamic camera angles etc for Between Light and Darkness. So I decided to show off what I have so far. Hope you all like what I have so far, it isnt much but I will be updating occasionally with new screens of items, and characters etc. I am also trying to go with a cool shader for this game for the characters and environments, more screens and info soon on that as well.

The main character Leo

King Gustav

The Shadow Ogre is an extremely strong enemy, mainly found Underground

The Shadow Reaper, very powerfull enemy and can steal your collected souls if he hits you

The shadow knight, fast and swift, can also counter your attacks

Some WIP of the castle exterior and interior

Throne Room WIP

The dining area

Modular Props WIP

The prison, lots of interesting things going on down there

The castle exterior, there are secret passageways, a well that leads underground, sewers, training grounds, bridges that lead to the huge towers etc.

modeling the castle exterior on top of the design, the little blue guy is for proper scale. The castle exterior has been optimized and broken up into multiple scenes.

More to come.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  2. ASchumacher

ASchumacher

I love the concept art. Very well done. I think you've got a great design scheme as well. I'm very intersted to see how this progresses. Good luck with it but it is clear that you are off to a great start.

3. WelGames

WelGames

It looks like you need a texture artist. I'd suggest looking for one in Collaboration.

Other than that great job. Looks great so far. Just put together a team and stick to it!

4. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Looks cool, good luck with your project!

5. BlueRadius

BlueRadius

Thank you ASchumacher!! I wanted to make the game have a unique feel to it. And do something completely different than what RPG gamers are used to seeing. I am working hard on this so ill post more enemy concepts soon, as well as more screens of the other areas inside and outside of the Kings castle.

6. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Wow, love the screen shots!

7. BlueRadius

BlueRadius

Thanks Rush!!!

8. BlueRadius

BlueRadius

here are a couple of new enemy concepts

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  9. elvaxq2010

elvaxq2010

very coooool~~

10. BlueRadius

BlueRadius

testing out some lighting in the castle corridors....

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  11. fransh

fransh

If you really want the lighting to come forward, disable the ambient light by setting it to completely black. Than tweak the lighting as you want it to and than slowly increase the levels of the ambient lighting if some area's are still to dark.

I like the way you set up the level design btw, and I also love the general idea of the characters. Really interested to see how this will end up :)

12. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

Awesome progress so far I like it. Are you going to use a glow effect on the outline of your character models? Cause I noticed in your concepts they have a purple outline and I thought that would be cool to have on your character models in the game. Keep up the good work.

13. xxxDjdogxxx

xxxDjdogxxx

shall i request shadow spider :]

14. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

+1 to everything FransH said.

15. fransh

fransh

I am noticing one more thing, I am not sure if your current textures are final. If the are not, than I said nothing :p

The texture on your ceiling/floor is stretched, extremely stretched compared to the walls. If you do not have the texture space, make the texture tillable and increase the texture tiling within the material. If you work the lighting out properly it really will not be noticeable that you repeat the texture, but it will look a lot sharper and look better with the walls, that do have a nice texture :)

Good luck on the development!

16. BlueRadius

BlueRadius

Thank you for the critiques and compliments. the tip you gave me on the lighting is a good idea and I will take that into consideration as I am still playing around with lighting.

17. BlueRadius

BlueRadius

Hey slkjdfv yea Im adding a glow material with a purple outline to the character models to give a nice contrast against the dark environments, and their eyes will glow bright orange/yellow and give off light. thank you for your compliments.

18. BlueRadius

BlueRadius

No the textures aren't final and I am editing the tiling and adding more detail to the floor, but by all means share any critiques you may have, I am open for all opinions. Thanks for all of your critiques btw bro

19. BlueRadius

BlueRadius

One huge shadow spider comin up

20. spurge0n

spurge0n

Love the skeleton in the boots!

21. BlueRadius

BlueRadius

Thanks spurgeOn!! More to come.

22. SEG-Veenstra

SEG-Veenstra

I like the character style you have chosen!

Good luck!

23. Hellblaze123

Hellblaze123

Keep the updates coming, this is gonna be an awesome game!! I can't wait to see more :)

You should have a Berserk class to the enemy. Something that is very powerful, but normally slow, but has a burst speed attack as kind of a charging attack ya know. Be real interesting to fight lol

24. BlueRadius

BlueRadius

random

will showcase a combat gameplay video with shaders soon

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  25. BlueRadius

BlueRadius

Oh dam thats a good idea, cant believe I didnt think of that, that will be very interesting for gameplay. Thanks for the concept Hellblaze.

26. BlueRadius

BlueRadius

random attack pose

27. xxxDjdogxxx

xxxDjdogxxx

Spider??? :,(

28. BlueRadius

BlueRadius

haha hes comin up, no worries...

29. BlueRadius

BlueRadius

testing out shader, opinions..

30. Blacklight

Blacklight

The purple outline looks really out of place.

31. Alienchild

Alienchild

Just my opinion; give the purple material you use on this dude 50-60% alpha. As for the outline I really like the color, although I would blur it out a bit.

32. BlueRadius

BlueRadius

hmm ill look into doing these things, maybe post a screenie as well of the results..

33. fransh

fransh

34. Hellblaze123

Hellblaze123

I agree that the outline is a bit over powering. Maybe a bit blurred, or slightly darker color would remedy that. The idea of the outline works perfect with how the characters are, being as shadows, but its a bit too bright an outline is all. And give the eyes a smidge more glow. Give an creepy look lol

35. ivanzu

ivanzu

The purple outline makes it look like he has been cut/pasted into a game from photoshop.

36. BlueRadius

BlueRadius