Search Unity

Better way to resolve duplicated asset

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by optimise, Oct 28, 2018.

1. optimise

optimise

Hi @unity_bill, I see you introduce Analyze feature recently and your concern for the feature is to avoid magic. But I suggest that make it like Asset Bundle Browser that will directly show warning icon to the duplicated asset is better solution to make the iteration super easy and fast. I think this way will solve the problem of magic and also give better iteration experience. Of course, the best solution is to introduce the feature that able to set the rule to auto resolve the duplicate asset problem to make the problem never exist.

upload_2018-10-28_20-51-14.png
    Addressable

upload_2018-10-28_20-50-7.png
    Asset Bundle Browser

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    Gwom likes this.
  2. unity_bill

unity_bill

Thank you for your feedback. We do intend to iterate on the design and improve it. It may never be quite as streamlined as the bundle browser though, because we are choosing accuracy over speed. The bundle browser used all the data it had access to, which provided a very quick, but often wrong, view of bundles. With addressables, we have access to a lot more data via the scriptable build pipeline. This gives us a far more accurate view of the world, but at the cost of being slower to analyze.

Our intent over time is to get the workflow cleaner and more streamlined, but there will be limitations.

-Bill

optimise likes this.
  3. Gwom

Gwom

@unity_bill - just to second this, I have just spent ages tracking down a bug which happened because the prefab used in Resources_moved was duplicated in the Resources folder. This was being added as a dependency automatically so we were not aware, and loaded when referenced by name instead of the one in the Resources_moved folder, so I had no clue why my changes were not being reflected when loaded using the Addressable system and it was kind of hard to track down.

If not the solution proposed above, maybe just a warning when multiple instances with the same names are found at run time?