Search Unity

Better Visibility Testing using Raycasting and Projection to Screen Space

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by jefft, Mar 14, 2012.

1. jefft

jefft

I've been toying with ways to perform visibility testing. A simple view frustrum test doesn't count occluders, and raycasting can be very hit and miss (literally, depends whether you cast the ray at the right spot). I don't have Pro, so any technique using Umbra is probably out.

My current theory is a recursive approach as follows (if testing visibility of object A):
    1. Project the bounding box of A onto a coarse grid in screen space.
    2. Convert the centre co-ordinates from screen space to a vector from the camera and raycast in this direction.
    3. If we hit A, break out. It is visible.
    4. Project the bounding box of occluder O onto the coarse grid in screen space.
    5. If all grid cells of A are fully covered by occluders, break out. It is not visible.
    6. Pick another area of the grid that has low coverage (how? area x coverage?)
    7. Go back to step 2.

Obviously we need to end the recursion at some depth. Also subdividing the grid may be required.

I think this approach would be quite efficient if either there are no occluders or a few large occluders cover A. Transparent objects with colliders might be a problem, possibly another layer could be used for that.

Any thoughts on workability or efficiency of this approach?