Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.

Better UI

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Hosnkobf, Jan 30, 2017.

1. owentexting

owentexting

Im getting this a lot - any ideas? Also I had an issue when installing the plugin - I would specify the optimised resolution in the wizard, and then id notice that after completing the importing textmeshpro step of the wizard the resolution monitor would change to default settings, and just revert all the changes I had set up.

BetterUI Version : 2.4
    TextMeshPro Version: 3.0.6
    UnityEditor Version: 2020.3.12f1

2. owentexting

owentexting

Tried with a different PC & unity version - didnt get the flickering mentioned above, but it seems that better locator & changing resolutions doesn't work for me on either machine.

When changing resolution between landscape and portrait I need to select a different element in the hierarchy for the scene & editor to update positions, and the better locator always takes the values from the previous resolution.

an example of what im talking about:

3. owentexting

owentexting

managed to resolve this by commenting out line 388 in resolutionMonitor:

Code (CSharp):
    1. #if UNITY_EDITOR // should never change in reality...
    2.             // || (Instance.GetCurrentDpi() != lastDpi)
    3. #endif

Basically every call to Update would flip lastDpi and currentDpi and ResolutionChanged() was getting called every frame.

4. Hosnkobf

Hosnkobf

Hi @owentexting,

Thank you for your reports and the videos.
    I tried to reproduce all your reports with Unity 2020.3.19 and the project which I use to work on Better UI - but it all works there :(

It tried it with a fresh project and imported Better UI from the Asset Store. Now, I could see the problem you describe in your second post. Interestingly this also happens if there is not any better-component attached to an object. And it only happens if you are using the pick resolution window.
    Looks like the internal methods inside of unity changing resolutions changed a bit and my reflection-magic doesn't fully work on newer Unity Versions anymore.

(... half an hour later ...)

I investigated this further and found out what needs to be done to update it correctly:
    Open
    ResolutionPicker.cs
    and finde the
    SetResolution(GameViewSize size)
    method (line 290) and replace it with this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.         void SetResolution(GameViewSize size)
    2.         {
    3.             var type = gameView.GetType();
    4.             selectedIndex.SetValue(gameView, size.index, null);
    6.             var updateZoomMethod = type.GetMethod("UpdateZoomAreaAndParent", BindingFlags.Instance | BindingFlags.NonPublic);
    7.             updateZoomMethod.Invoke(gameView, null);
    9.             var resizedNotifyMethod = type.GetMethod("OnResized", BindingFlags.Instance | BindingFlags.NonPublic);
    10.             resizedNotifyMethod.Invoke(gameView, null);
    12.             SceneView.RepaintAll();
    13.         }
    Side Effect: The game view window can be in the background when using the resolution picker now.
    Thanks for pointing out. This fix will be part of the next BetterUI version.

Regarding your other reports: I couldn't reproduce them. Not the Resolution Monitor reset when importing TMP, nor the position-flickering / dpi invalidation. If you could give me more information on how I can reproduce it, I would be thankful.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
  5. devpsst

devpsst

Just to check we are using this correct, if we want to support Phones and Tablets as our two screen configurations, we would be fine in generating a new Screen Configuration for "Tablet", and then phones can be the default Fallback behaviour?

6. Hosnkobf

Hosnkobf

Yes, that is what I would recommend. Make either phone or tablet your fallback and add one screen configuration for the other screen type.
    And only add non-fallback settings where actually is a difference (I have seen projects where people added a setting for every defined screen configuration while they all contained the same data. This is hard to maintain, so not recommended).

7. devpsst

devpsst

Thanks, this is what we are doing.

For some reason though on an iPad Pro 2020 (12.9) our configuration is not being detected. I am running a debug script now to output all details of the checks that are made to try and determine what is going on.

8. Hosnkobf

Hosnkobf

Can you post a Screenshot of your resolution monitor, so I can see your screen configuration settings?

9. devpsst

devpsst

Something strange is occurring. When checking my debug script I can see there is a screen configuration called "Landscape", but this is not something I have setup in the project...

We are using addressables, I am going to check if there is something off there. Is "Landscape" a default config ever found in a new ResolutionMonitor asset?

10. devpsst

devpsst

Here is a screenshot of our configuration settings.
    Screenshot 2021-11-17 093750.png

I am noticing that in the editor it is working fine, but when building onto iOS it is generating a new ResolutionMonitor asset meaning none of our settings are preserved.

11. devpsst

devpsst

@Hosnkobf Any ideas on this? Addressables is a common package and it seems there are issues loading this asset from Resources.

12. Hosnkobf

Hosnkobf

Hi @devpsst,
    First I thought it has to do with this problem that I actually already solved (AFAIK).

But after checking your Screenshot one thing jumped into my eyes: I am not sure if "infinity" can be parsed correctly (on all platforms).

Regarding addressables: This is a good hint. I didn't use this feature yet, so it actually can be the cause (I have to get familiar with it first, however).

Right now I am on vacation and when I return I probably have a lot of stuff to do on my desk. So, I cannot promise that I can provide a proper solution soon. But I will definitely take a look look at it as soon as I find time.

In the mean time you can try to remove all the instance-creation-logic from SingletonScriptableObject.cs (hope I remembered the file name correctly).

13. devpsst

devpsst

For now I have manually setup the screen configurations on boot in our bootstrap scene. This seems to have fixed the issue as we have a release imminent and are unable to wait for a further fix.

We will aim to look into this further when we have the time.

14. owentexting

owentexting

@Hosnkobf sent you a private message with some more info on this, but will also post here.

Specific issue down to deselecting a disabled gameobject & changing resolution.

Steps to reproduce:
    1. Add 2 supported resolutions to resolution monitor ( Landscape and Portrait (Fallback) )
    2. Add image & set its RectTransform's position in portrait (fallback) resolution
    3. Add a BetterLcator to the gameobject with this image component
    4. Add landscape resolution to the BetterLocator component
    5. Swap to landscape & reposition the RectTransform to your landscape setup
    6. Disable gameobject
    7. Deselect gameobject
    8. change resolution to Portrait (Fallback)
    9. enable gameobject

You will notice the gameobject is in the incorrect position. Heres an video of me reproducing it - you will notice that when I disable the gameobject, the Rect handles looks misaligned when swapping resolutions, but the bug only messes up the serialization when I deselect the object in its disabled state.

15. Hosnkobf

Hosnkobf

Hi @owentexting

Sorry for the late reply. I was on vacation and couldn't test what you reported.
    Now I could reproduce the bug. Thank you very much for your detailed report!

Here is a fix:
    open
    BetterLocatorEditor.cs
    (found at
    \Assets\TheraBytes\BetterUI\Editor\Scripts\UiLayout
    ) and edit line
    :
    from
    if (autoPullFromTransform && !(pauseAutoPullOnce))

to
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if (autoPullFromTransform && locator.isActiveAndEnabled)

16. Scalisco

Scalisco

Loving the asset so far! Just one question.

Is there any way to animate an object as it enters and exits a layout group? I'd like objects to come in from the side of the screen as they get added to a layout group, and exit when they're removed.

17. Hosnkobf

Hosnkobf

Hi @dlees9191
    Thanks for your kind words.
    What you are asking is only possibly through code. As documented, you can call
    Code (csharp):
    1. myLocationAnimations.StartAnimation("Enter Animation");
    after you added the object to the layout group (replace "Enter Animation" with your animation name). Similar, you can do it for exiting the layout group. If you want to play the animation within the layout group and remove it once the animation finished, you can use the onFinishCallback:
    Code (csharp):
    1. myLocationAnimations.StartAnimation("Exit Animation",
    2.     onFinish: () => this.transform.SetParent(this.transform.parent.parent));

18. theforgot3n1

theforgot3n1

On 2020.3.24f1 the ResolutionMonitor is not importing properly when opening the project on a different computer. When working on my desktop/laptop, references to a specific resolution is always lost when I transfer my work to the other computer.

I've tried resetting GUIDs and tinkering with such ideas, but to no avail. For now, perhaps it would be good to be able to manually set resolutions to prevent issues like this.

19. Hosnkobf

Hosnkobf

Hi @theforgot3n1,
    thanks for the report. Can you tell me if you installed assembly definition files?
    Also, was the resolution monitor copied over (if you use version control: was it committed / pushed)?

Edit: Just found out in a personal project which I recently upgraded from Unity 2019 to Unity 2020 that the ResolutionMonitor got a reset to its fallback state on upgrade. Did you upgrade as well? Does the problem remain when you make changes to the ResolutionMonitor after upgrading both project instances?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
  20. theforgot3n1

theforgot3n1

I am transferring it over using OneDrive. And so far in this project I am not using any assembly definition files.

21. theforgot3n1

theforgot3n1

This is indeed it in my case. This did not happen if I don't upgrade white transferring it to my other computer.

A fix for that would be great. :)

Unrelated to the import issue, I don't see a mention of compatibility with URP/HDRP. Any comments on that? I am working in a URP project and tried upgrading it and that's when I noticed the BetterUI build-in shaders.

22. Hosnkobf

Hosnkobf

It will be a lot of trial and error to find out what is causing this. But I will try my best to get it fixed!

If you don't explicitly specify a Better UI material (using Default) it works for sure because it uses unity's internal ui-material. Using one of Better UI's materials should also work because they are based on the default shader. However, they are based on an earlier version of the default shader and I actually didn't test HDRP recently. So, I am not sure if it still works with Unity 2020 / 2021.
    Please also note that material sometimes break under unknown circumstances (maybe also because of upgrading unity...). If you are facing problems with materials, please read in the Known Issues section of the documentation how you can fix them.

theforgot3n1 likes this.
  23. Hosnkobf

Hosnkobf

theforgot3n1 likes this.
  24. Timmy-Hsu

Timmy-Hsu

Hi,
    I have an issue with BetterImage.

A sprite 110x110 show different size when using Image and BetterImage.
    It seems like BetterImage crop blank area on the sprite.

Icon_Skill_Magic_1.png can reproduce this issue.

Snipaste_2021-12-21_14-01-15.jpg

Attached Files:

25. Hosnkobf

Hosnkobf

Hi @Timmy-Hsu,

That is an interesting issue you discovered. I could reproduce it.
    For now you can do this workaround: Select your image and change the Mesh Type in the import settings to "Full Rect":
    upload_2021-12-21_9-20-0.png

I will add it to my backlog. Shouldn't be too hard to implement the new render strategy.

Timmy-Hsu likes this.
  26. theforgot3n1

theforgot3n1

When I use snap parent to children it takes into account disabled game objects. Is that intentional? Personally I would prefer the default behavior to not include them. Just thought about it while developing.

27. Hosnkobf

Hosnkobf

I think you are right @theforgot3n1. I added it to my backlog. It should be easy to exclude inactive children.

28. Doomchecker

Doomchecker

Hi there,
    I have a BetterImage which I want to fade in.

So I set the alpha to 0 first:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. betterImage.CurrentSpriteSettings.PrimaryColor.a = 0f;
    But when I try to increase the alpha again (or set it directly to 1) with the same method, it doesn't work.
    Debugging in script shows that alpha is back at 1 but it is not visible in game view.

I can do a similar thing with BetterTextMeshProNGUI, where I use
    Code (CSharp):
    1. betterTextMeshProNGUI.alpha = 0f;
    Setting it back to 1 works perfectly fine with the text.

Any idea here?

Thanks a lot for helping out!

29. Hosnkobf

Hosnkobf

Hi @Doomchecker,

What you describe is a similar problem as explained in this post.

Changing the
    CurrentSpriteSettings
    will not apply the changes to the Sprite immediately. These settings are applied when the object is instantiated or when the resolution changes.

So, in your case it is probably enough to treat the better image as an ordinary image and set
    betterImage.color.a
    instead.

30. Doomchecker

Doomchecker

Yes I tried that too but this method is not working for some reason.

Code (CSharp):
    1.                         Color color = betterImage.color;
    2.                         color.a = 0f;
    3.                         betterImage.color = color;
    Debug shows me alpha is at 0 but it is still visible in game.

31. Doomchecker

Doomchecker

Hey,
    could this be a bug? Can't get it to show up with those medhods :(

32. theforgot3n1

theforgot3n1

Color.a = 0f;
    does not work. You are trying to modify a struct, which is not valid. You have to do

Code (CSharp):
    1. Color color = new Color(betterImage.color.r, betterImage.color.g, betterImage.color.b, 0f);
    2. betterImage.color = color;
    If you want to set the alpha to 0.

33. Doomchecker

Doomchecker

Setting the alpha to 0 works perfectly fine as I mentioned above.
    Setting it back to 1 works as well in code but it's not visible in game view.

34. Hosnkobf

Hosnkobf

Hi @Doomchecker

Sorry for the late reply. I was on holidays and didn't have the possibility to test it myself.

For me it works fine. I did a test with the following code:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using TheraBytes.BetterUi;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    5. public class ChangeAlphaTest : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    7.     [SerializeField] BetterImage betterImage;
    9.     IEnumerator Start()
    10.     {
    11.         betterImage.CurrentSpriteSettings.PrimaryColor.a = 0.5f;
    12.         var col = betterImage.color;
    13.         while (true)
    14.         {
    15.             col.a = 0.5f;
    16.             betterImage.color = col;
    17.             yield return new WaitForSeconds(1);
    18.             col.a = 1f;
    19.             betterImage.color = col;
    20.             yield return new WaitForSeconds(1);
    21.             col.a = 0f;
    22.             betterImage.color = col;
    23.             yield return new WaitForSeconds(1);
    24.         }
    25.     }
    26. }
    I can clearly see how the assigned image changes the alpha value every second.

So, maybe something is interfering in your case. Perhaps you have a color or alpha transition which affects the same image?

35. theforgot3n1

theforgot3n1

I am deploying to android at the moment but my resolutions are not working. The screen is a bit wider than 1920x1080 so the resolution is thrown off. I suspect betterui is just not working in my build because the LocationAnimations does not animate in the build. How do I deal with this, preferably without making another resolution?

36. Hosnkobf

Hosnkobf

Hi @theforgot3n1
    I am not sure what problems exactly you are facing. Android builds should work (and worked for me in the past without issues). Can you give me more details?

37. theforgot3n1

theforgot3n1

This is how it looks on desktop versus android (first pic is desktop, second android)

The reason why the ui in the middle is blocking everything is because it does not animate with the LocationAnimations. In general tho the UI is stretched out. It looks much messier in the lobby/main menu. Lemme know if you want more screenshots.

38. Hosnkobf

Hosnkobf

I cannot see the images. Instead of linking to imgur, you can upload the screenshots directly to your forum post...

39. theforgot3n1

theforgot3n1

Yeah I didnt get it to work at first but now I did @Hosnkobf.

EDIT: Wait does it have something to do with IngameResolutionMonitor.Create()? Cuz I havent called BetterUI in any way while playing.

40. Hosnkobf

Hosnkobf

from what I see from the screenshots I have some general advise for you:
    • If you don't do that already, use the snap anchors tool (I am not sure if the labels are so big because of your animation problem or because they are not anchored correctly)
    • for elements which should keep their aspect ratio (like circles) wither check "preserve aspect ratio" in the (better) image or add a (better) aspect ratio fitter component.
    • Add another resolution to your game view that matches the one of your device to see if you can get the same results in the editor (which would make it easier to find the cause)
    • Uncheck "Raycast Target" in your Image (or other Graphic component) to allow clicks through them
    Regarding your problem: The IngameResolutionMonitor should not be required because the resolution probably doesn't change (as long as you don't allow portrait orientation for your app). However, maybe the system provides the portrait resolution in the first frame and later changes to the actual (landscape) resolution. That would be a bug in unity or android. It is worth a try. But it shouldn't break your location animation.

If I get you right, you have set up a location animation that automatically starts a certain animation when instantiated. That works in the editor but doesn't work in an android build, right? Can you send me a screenshot of the Location Animations settings in the inspector?

41. theforgot3n1

theforgot3n1

I do allow rotation because there is a specific other part of the app where portrait works better.

If I get you right, if the phone's resolution is not exactly 1920x1080 (e.g. 2100x1080) then it is inevitable that the components will have to automatically scale, and this is likely to be the case for most phones. So therefore you have to prepare for that with anchors etc. In my mind I just assumed somehow setting stuff for each resolution would be pretty much it. But this makes more sense.

EDIT: Animation problem fixed itself now. Not sure why. I added the IngameResolutionMonitor to every scene now, maybe that helped.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  42. Hosnkobf

Hosnkobf

Ah, then you need an IngameResolutionMonitor. You probably have seen all the times the settings for portrait because landscape couldn't be detected.
    You only need to create it once in the first scene. It will survive scene changes (as long as it is in the root of the scene). However, it will also work if you have one for every scene (Better UI will destroy the ones in the loaded scene if they already have an IngameResolutionMonitor).

There are always multiple ways to achieve something. However, in one way or the other you will need anchors. Either you can use a canvas scaler with "Scale With Screen Size" (Not recommended for Better UI) or use "Constant Pixel Size" with anchors around the element borders (recommended to make variable sizing work correctly in Better UI - e.g. Font Size).
    You usually don't need to have a dedicated screen configuration for every resolution. In your case, a config for Landscape and one for Portrait is probably enough.
    Almost everything can be tested in the editor with the Pick-Resolution window.

Hard to tell what it was... maybe you had location animations for portrait mode which werent setup correctly (like going from the start location to the start location)?

theforgot3n1 likes this.
  43. Doomchecker

Doomchecker

Hi Hosnkobf,
    nevermind late replay, thanks a lot for taking the time to test it out, really appreciated!

I actually (just today) found a more practicable solution for my usecase.
    I can put a CanvasGroup to a gameobject, parent it to all images and use it to fade. Probably also a tiny bit more performant.

Thanks and have a great new year!

Hosnkobf likes this.
  44. theforgot3n1

theforgot3n1

I might have encountered a bug. The BetterImage component's PixelsPerUnitMultiplier field when using sliced image type does not have any effect. If I switch to the regular Image component it works. I am using 2020.3.24f1. I tested with 2 projects but neither are blank projects because I am too lazy atm to do a minimal repro.

Btw in the known issues section in documentation it says The Snap Anchors Tool does not work correctly, if your canvas or UI Element is rotated (for X- and Y-Axis. Z-Axis works although the Anchors appear wrong). Is this still the case?

45. Hosnkobf

Hosnkobf

Ah, thanks for pointing out. Indeed this doesn't work. I add it to my backlog. However, with Better UI's Border Scale secion you can mimic the same behavior.

This is incorrect documentation. since the previous version it is possible to snap to rotated canvases. I will update the documentation with the next version (or maybe earlier, but building documentation is also always a bit time consuming).

theforgot3n1 likes this.
  46. theforgot3n1

theforgot3n1

Editor optimization:

Add shortcuts to the most common Better UI operations, like snapping (all) anchors and trim parent to children. I just started improving my workflow with shortcuts recently and wanted to add Better UI to the shortcuts, but found it wasn't possible at least not through the Edit/Shortcuts system. Is this something possible to add?

If that is the case, perhaps I don't even need to have the better ui windows open which removes one of the biggest drawbacks of the better ui tools imo which is having to have the windows open for quick access.

47. Hosnkobf

Hosnkobf

@theforgot3n1, this is a great idea. I plan to refactor the tools code to have static functions, so that snapping and trimming can easily be done via code. Once this is done, adding shortcuts is a no-brainer. So, I added it to my backlog.

theforgot3n1 likes this.
  48. nooxouille

nooxouille

Hi there !
    I want to set up a specific UI disposition for *drum roll* 4:3 ratio handled devices (I am watching at you, 2018 iPad Pro). But somehow (there is probably something I understood wrongly, badly) I haven't managed to do so : after setting up everything as wanted for that specific case, and when trying to switch from a 16:9 to the 4:3, everything I did (positionning, sizing ect) is f*cked up, but I don't get it. I've tried several times, but the result remain broken.

and this .... was yesterday : today. when trying to use the align tool, the editor just crash (apple silicon 2021.2, 2020 M1 MacBook Pro).
    Are you aware of crashes on MacOS system ? This, so far, happen only when using BetterUI components.

49. Hosnkobf

Hosnkobf

I'm not sure what exactly you mean. But here are some general notes you should know:
    1. Introduce a screen config for 4:3 devices in your resolution monitor (if you really need to adjust the UI so much that proper anchoring + aspect ratio fitters are not enough)
    2. When using the Better Locator component, first adjust everything in your default configuration (probably 16:9), then switch to 4:3 but before you change anything, make sure you actually added a setting in your Better Locator (or other component) for that screen configuration. Otherwise, you will overwrite your previous (default) settings.
    I know that it is too easy to forget about adding a setting. I will try to find a way making this workflow more intuitive in the future.

I am not aware of crashes. Maybe there is some useful information in the crash log? (you may send it to me via PM)
    Did you also test it with a new project with only Better UI in it?

50. nooxouille

nooxouille

Hi ! I will try that way, I might have made something wrong several time (ya know, tunnel vision and stuff).
    For the crash, I haven't been able to test it (yet) in an empty project (lack of time because of other unrelated issues). I will send you the yesterday report after testing to repro it in an empty project.

Hosnkobf likes this.