Search Unity

Better results from overhead lighting in small rooms/hallways?

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by dgoyette, Oct 15, 2021.

1. dgoyette

dgoyette

I've long struggled with the way I light some confined spaces. Many of my environments are connected by hallways with relatively low ceilings, in which I place ceiling lamps, like the following:

upload_2021-10-15_11-16-44.png

The main issues with this approach are:
    • The spotlight cone needs to be fairly narrow, or the shadows get too pixellated.
    • With a narrow cone, the light doesn't extend to far. Therefore, I either need to add lots of lights (performance concern) or use fewer lights and crank up the light intensity.
    • With very intense lights, objects very close to the light get blown out. And objects even a short distance from the light often end up being very dark.
    I've tried mitigating the lighting issues using post-processing effects, but I haven't found an arrangement that looks quite right.

I was just wondering if anyone had some general suggestions on overhead lighting that lights a decent volume, without blowing out objects immediately under the light?

valarnur likes this.