Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Better performance on stock rendering pipe then LWRP? Android

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by Immortalis94, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Berthil

Berthil

Thanks for your reply.
    Yes, I thought this kind of effect was possible only using LWRP. I searched for a tutorial and now it is working on SRP. So I ran some simple tests again using bloom to acquire the neon effect in SRP and LWPR. Got better results on SRP. I'm going to read about how to improve it for mobile in both renders to run more tests to decide which one use from now on. Thanks!

2. DavidSWu

DavidSWu

Good luck!
    I think that LWRP can be faster when everything is set up correctly.

3. Athomield3D

Athomield3D

I don't think that's the case, I kept playing around with the LWRP assets to disable some stuff and the FPS is not as best as it could be (compared to stock) and on some phone the result does not look like the editor version in the first place.

4. DavidSWu

DavidSWu

The two benefits that I have seen for our project with LWRP are:
    - SRP Batcher, this saves a lot of CPU overhead
    - I was able to modify the shadow code to use a version of LiSPSM. This allows us to push out the far shadow Z plane significantly as compared to the stock shadows with better quality at most camera vs light angles and at distances that matter to the player. I imagine that they are also more GPU cache-friendly at far distances but I haven't measured this.
    - LWRP also gives you the option of sacrificing some performance for cascaded shadow maps on mobile platforms, but this isn't worth the cost in our case.
    I am not sure if this justifies the time investment in terms of engineering hours for a small project, but for a larger project, it probably does.

5. Prodigga

Prodigga

Is there a bug report for this one for us to track the progress of the issue? :)

6. shamsfk

shamsfk

Hi!
    We experience significant (to the point of being unable to use LWRP) framerate drop when building for Oculus Quest (Android) comparing Legacy to LWRP on 2019.2.2f1.
    Both our scenes and empty scene with a cube have kinda the same amount of framerate drop.
    I saw it reported and confirmed by several developers somewhere on a XR thread, but this thread looks like the place.
    It is very easy to reproduce:
    - LWRP
    - empty scene
    - one cube
    - one light or no light
    - build for Oculus Quest
    BAM, 40-50 fps. While Legacy runs desired 72 fps even with much more complicated scenes, like actual gameplay and stuff.

Ehredt and FromTheFuture like this.
  7. DavidSWu

DavidSWu

One problem that I have noticed is that even if you have a short shadow distance, all objects use their shadow shader variant. With soft shadows, this cuts our fill rate dramatically as we have simple shaders which are memory bound.
    In theory, memory fetches should be nicely coherent, but in practice, we don't have MIPS for shadow maps and the shadow UV sampling positions with high res shadow maps are all over the place unless you are sampling very close to the camera.

8. lama89625

lama89625

Does anyone know the reason for that 'platformNeedsToKillAlpha' for mobile platforms? As far as I'm concerned thats just a blit pass for no reason.

9. Ehredt

Ehredt

News of the LWRP running slowly on the Quest is troubling. I've been able to run an app on the Quest using Unity 2019.2.0 and LWRP 6.9.0 at roughly 72 FPS consistently with 100k+ tris, a baked spotlight, and a realtime directional light with soft shadows, so I don't think it's universal, but I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this thread.