Search Unity

Feedback Better detailed documentation

Discussion in 'Unity MARS' started by ntvd1207, Jan 9, 2021.

1. ntvd1207

ntvd1207

I understand unity mars uses its own technology, but it can help linking some existing terminology to its own. For example, the basic concept of a proxy. Im guessing its an anchor? Once a game object is placed on this "proxy" is it considered a child of that proxy like an anchor?

It's said that this mars application is new and "friendly". I mean it is, but the lack of documentation doesn't breach the gap for new users and experienced ones.

2. Blinxel_AR

Blinxel_AR

Oh yeah, the docs are really not good yet.

3. jmunozarUTech

jmunozarUTech

Unity Technologies

4. Gareth-Tech

Gareth-Tech

To be honest running through the "Getting Started with MARS" does make it all clear. I jumped right in before going to the documentation so maybe that's why I didn't have a problem with it. It was all well written, clearly setup step by step. I recommend everyone go through that first to understand the basics of MARS.

jmunozarUTech likes this.
  5. jmunozarUTech

jmunozarUTech

Unity Technologies

Correct, the idea is to start reading the documentation through the Getting started with MARS if you are new to the tool (https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.mars@1.0/manual/GettingStarted.html) and take it from there.

The documentation starts explaining basic terminology and builds on top of said concepts, so its necessary to read the documentation from the getting started to have an understanding of MARS concepts.

6. Blinxel_AR

Blinxel_AR

@jmunozarUTech You're absolutely right. Sorry about the vague note.
    For me it comes back to great features like using a proxy mesh as an occluder, so that the objects placed by MARS are occluded properly. This is vital for any MARS scene that uses more than 1 room. However making this work was (as of a couple of weeks ago) undocumented. Apologies if that's since been added.

7. jmunozarUTech

jmunozarUTech

Unity Technologies

Great suggestion!, so pretty much boils down to making more examples.

@Blinxel_AR I will be creating a post for feedback on the MARS docs shortly, we would really appreaciate if you can come up with concise examples / stuff that we should take into consideration to make our docs better! :).

Again, thanks! :)

8. Blinxel_AR

Blinxel_AR

I'll use that thread.