Search Unity

Feature Request Better control over point cloud visualization

Discussion in 'AR' started by alexanderameye, Mar 31, 2021.

1. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Right now the point cloud prefab uses a particle system of which we can set the color, size and material.

Only setting color/size/material is pretty limited. Would it be possible to allow us to set more properties?

Specifically I would want to control the color/alpha over lifetime, and also I want to add noise to the position of the particles (only visually of course). Also instead of just having a constant size, I would want to have a random size between 2 constants. I'm already setting this in the particle system inspector, but ARPointCloudParticleVisualizer.cs just doesn't pick up on it.

If anybody knows a way to control these types of things, that would be great!

Cheers,

Alex

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  2. KyryloKuzyk

KyryloKuzyk

I'm afraid you have to write a custom ARPointCloudParticleVisualizer to support these features. The current implementation sets these particle properties, so any modification done in ParticleSystem inspector will be overwritten:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. for (int i = 0; i < numParticles; ++i)
    2. {
    3.     m_Particles[i].startColor = color;
    4.     m_Particles[i].startSize = size;
    5.     m_Particles[i].position = points[i];
    6.     m_Particles[i].remainingLifetime = 1f;
    7. }

3. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Yup that's what I saw :/ I'll try writing my own them, not sure how to hook it up though but I'll do some research. Thanks!