Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct here to familiarize yourself with the rules and how to post constructively.

2. Unity 2022.1 is now available as the latest Tech release.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improve your project's performance with our new guide on profiling in Unity.
    Dismiss Notice

Beta Upgrade Workflow

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by Claytonious, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Claytonious

Claytonious

Should we, as a matter of practice, be doing anything manual upon each upgrade during the beta cycle? For example, when we upgrade from beta 20 to beta 21, should we reimport "sample assets" again in order to get any important shader changes, etc.? Are things like the standard shader *always* upgraded for us without any manual action?

Thanks!

2. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

You shouldn't worry about this, if needed, shaders will reimport automatically. Same is for other assets

3. Roni92

Roni92

Related question... Are you going to make some auto-updater, instead of Dark Ages-like reinstalling whole Unity?

4. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

As far as I know this is not in the roadmap.

5. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

I'd prefer they didn't, I would much rather be able to keep the last few versions around so I can step back in case something breaks, as is known to happen.

6. Claytonious

Claytonious

Certainly compared with MUCH higher impact roadmap items!

7. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Not any time soon. Though as you'll see from the release threads in this forum, we've already begun breaking up the installer into pieces so you don't have to redownload the example project, standard assets etc if you don't want them.

8. Roni92

Roni92

Ok, I guess I can live with that :p Thanks for answers/

unityunity