Search Unity

Beta testers needed—View your native Sketchup files in VR

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Jyakku, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Jyakku

Jyakku

Hi everyone! My name is Jack and I'm a programmer at IrisVR, a virtual reality company using Unity as our 3D renderer. Our application takes any native Sketchup file and generates a one-click Oculus VR walkthrough for it, allowing users to explore their creations in virtual reality without having to export to a generic file format (OBJ, FBX) and create a Unity project for it.

We're in an early access phase right now where feedback from the community is invaluable, and I'm here to find out if there are any VR fans who use Sketchup and would be interested in testing our software. If you are, head on over to app.irisvr.com and let us know who you are and what your rig is like. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about our process or the technology behind our app as well!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  2. virror

virror

Hmm, very interesting! : D

3. maart

maart

Me too,
    how did you handle the import from sketchup?
    will you be selling such a feature separately?

4. Jyakku

Jyakku

Hi maart,

The import process from Sketchup is handled by a C++ backend that we designed that reads model data directly from the .skp file. We won't be selling this feature detached from our VR application, but if you want to import models into a game engine manually, Sketchup Pro allows exporting to generic file formats such as OBJ and FBX.

Let me know if this answers your question--you can also get in touch with me via private message!