Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[BETA TEST] Cartoon Heroes Pack

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dogzerx2, Jul 24, 2017.

1. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

BETA TEST V0.95

Hey I'm about to submit v0.95 of Cartoon Heroes. Though before making it official I think it needs some beta testing, I got it working finally without too many glitches, but I have a feeling I haven't seen the end of it.

If you're interested send mail me at dogzerx@hotmail.com

Cartoon heroes is a semi-customizable character pack, with male and female base models, and a set of clothes you can attach to the character.

Works by using Humanoid animation rig, so you can use your own set of animations.

*The characters clothing re-targeting now work when they're parented to another gameobject.

Thank you!

------------------------------------------------------
    (BELOW ARE OLDER POSTS)

Hello! I've updated the Cartoon Heroes pack with a new character. Those who already own the package can update right now!

Now with Humanoid rig and root motion support!!
    37 Animations each (Male and Female)

For more info, Asset Store Link:
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/characters/cartoon-heroes-90079

I'm working on adding base models for each now. And a Lara Croft type outfit for the female version (based on request)

If you have suggestions or request yourself contact me at dogzerx@hotmail.com

Thank you!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  2. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

As requested, going to add base models very soon!

Current progress:

3. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Paving the way to have customizable clothes!

I'm going to add the ability to disable parts of the mesh, so you can replace with clothing (without risk of clipping)

Stay tuned for more dudes! :p

As always I'm guiding myself by user requests. If you also have more suggestions for me to add to the pack, let me know here, or send me a mail to dogzerx@hotmail.com

Thank you!

4. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Base models rigged and already available for download!!

5. Acissathar

Acissathar

Are you planning on adding additional heads / faces / hairstyles as well? Seems like a great start to a cartoony modular character pack (which is awesome and sorely needed!)

dogzerx2 likes this.
  6. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Thank you!!!

That is the plan, hair mesh is already separated btw.

Current Status:
    Right now I'm working on a script that will automatically hide parts of the base model mesh, that will go under the clothes (to avoid clipping). So I can have customizable clothes that will hide whatever's below. Then this Asset will go from a 2 character pack, to a combinations of characters with different clothes/hair, though with same face.

I can already successfully delete triangles out of a SkinnedMeshRenderer, wasn't hard at all, but it is kind of slow, takes like a full second, or more, disgusting. I'm going to optimize it so it's no more than a hiccup. Right now I'm using Lists, which are slow, will switch to built in arrays which will improve, but I bet also going to be slow. BUT what I'm going to do as well is pre-calculate the meshes, either at start, or even better, do it in editor. So then assigning the mesh with hidden parts is no longer than a hiccup.

I'm also considering, further along the way, rig face with bones, to control eye size separation, also customize nose, mouth, jaw size, etc. Maybe ears too, for elves effect. Probably will make a script to handle it with a few clicks (rather than manually move bones ... and have user make a script to set bones position after Update) This script could easily work to alter character proportions, make arms thicker, wider torso ...

But, it does take time, so stay tuned!! <3
    Wish I had the hyperbolic time chamber to work on this! :p

Thank you again for your interest! I'm so glad that you say this is something you would need, right now I'm working blind, not really know what people truly need for their game projects .. but I figure this would be useful, so I'm pressing on.

Will always keep you posted with progress here, so stay tuned!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    Acissathar likes this.
  7. Acissathar

Acissathar

I can't speak for everyone, but I personally have a huge interest in modular packs. I love it when assets come with additional pieces, or at the very least, were designed with that in mind (such as the hair being separated).

From what it sounds like you already had this in mind though, which is sweet. I look forward to grabbing it sometime this month and seeing how things develop.

Also, and I may be in the minority, I don't have a problem buying additional packs. For example, if this was just a human base with the current armor, maybe some 'casual clothes' and just different tweaked heads / faces / hairs etc. (or ear tweaking for elves), and then you released a second pack filled with a set of weapons and armor to compliment the humans, I am totally willing to buy it as well to help fund development. This also lets people pick and choose without you having to constantly raise the price for features or sets they may not want.

Again though, I'm just glad to finally see the style of modular character I've been looking for recently so I'm buying regardless. :)

dogzerx2 likes this.
  8. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Awesome, thank you so much for your comments @Acissathar !

So far I'm very happy with this new style of characters. Working my way to make them customizable enough, so you're not confined to just "combination A" and "combination B", but rather a whole range of combinations.

Very good idea about using the expansion pack feature, I haven't explored it yet ... but when there's enough content, it will make sense to divide into categories. But for now the plan is to focus on this Asset, and once the base is solid, build on top :)

Acissathar likes this.
  9. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

I made a script so that I can remove triangles of SkinnedMeshRenderers, aka characters.

So now I can make clothes for them and remove underlying parts to avoid any risk of clipping. Good thing I can do this on the fly (sort of), because the problem was it took a little long to loop through all the triangles too see which ones should be removed ... so what you do is initialize the parts in editor, and assign at runtime, pretty much instantly.

Now ... I move on to the next step of my master plan ... make lots and lots of custom clothes.

Bhanshee00 and Acissathar like this.
  10. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

It works pretty good so far. Soon a swarm of new clothes will be available for them.

11. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Made a custom editor for the Transform Reactor script.

Will be available in next update with docs! very soon :)

Bhanshee00 likes this.
  12. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Custom clothing fully functional!

Will update first thing tomorrow! :-3

Acissathar and Bhanshee00 like this.
  13. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

14. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Below are some examples of character customization (available in next update) COMING SOON!!

Also just finished an axe model!!

15. Bhanshee00

Bhanshee00

That is some seriously cool modelling and texturing (and animating!). You could get a job at Blizzard with your skills!

I've been contemplating buying this for a while now. I think with the looks of your next update I will definitely purchase! I also really like the system you've included (Transform Reactor etc.) for adding new pieces of armor and clothing, pure genius!

dogzerx2 likes this.
  16. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Cool! I'm working as fast as possible to get this update ready to go! I still need to add female medieval clothes and hairs, I'm hoping to get update ready in 2-3 weeks.

Thank you! YOU'RE TOO KIND!!

17. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

New sword! :)

(Not the actual retopo)

Acissathar likes this.
  18. Acissathar

Acissathar

Don't know how I missed the Medieval pack you have (free none-the-less too!) and I absolutely love your art style. I hope you continue with the fantasy theme, I'd love to purchase more this year!

dogzerx2 likes this.
  19. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Hey! Thank you!

I'm still working on the upcoming update. It's taking ridiculously long, I know, I should have aimed for a smaller update. But it'll get there soon!

Stay tuned!

20. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

BETA TEST V0.95

Hey I'm about to submit v0.95 of Cartoon Heroes. Though before making it official I think it needs some beta testing, I got it working finally without too many glitches, but I have a feeling I haven't seen the end of it.

If you're interested send mail me at dogzerx@hotmail.com

Cartoon heroes is a semi-customizable character pack, with male and female base models, and a set of clothes you can attach to the character.

Works by using Humanoid animation rig, so you can use your own set of animations.

*The characters clothing re-targeting now work when they're parented to another gameobject.

Thank you!

21. Acissathar

Acissathar

What features specifically are you looking to beta test? Unfortunately I don't have anything close to a real project ready for my actual use cases, but I do have a bunch of random abandoned dumpster fires I can throw them in.

I can send my invoice number too if you need that as well. Still in love with the style!

dogzerx2 likes this.
  22. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Hey! Well ... mainly it was bugs and glitches. I have confirmed it's still very unstable, so I'm putting the beta testing on hold for a while, until I have a seemingly stable version again. I'm actually considering a different approach for the whole thing, something more unified and simple. The scripting's getting out of my scope and it's taking a toll on what's important which is the 3D art.

If you still want to give the beta a try, mail me at dogzerx@hotmail.com if not for the scripts, there's new 3D art.

23. thebaddie

thebaddie

I just found this package on the asset store and I really think it deserves more visibility.

Yours is exactly the style I was looking for and i really like you ideas and effort on customization and modularity.

I'm not really interested in a medieval setting right now but for what I've seen your next update will make the characters perfect also for different enviroments (right now the "lara croft" model could fit a modern setting too) and looks like creating new clothes will be easy enough thanks to your Transform Reactor script.

So, before I buy it, I would like to ask about progresses on v0.95, also because in your last post you refer to a different approach and I'm very curious now

24. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

I hit a wall with development right now. So I advise to wait a bit. I will re-write much of the customization script, aiming for more simplicity, to give as little room for glitches as possible.

Right now the asset offers male amd female with very mild customization options, everything described in screenshots and store page.

Acissathar likes this.
  25. TidyDev

TidyDev

Hi all, great characters here perfect art style IMO.

I made a purchase last night and decided to try hook the toons into UMA, with some tweeks to the base modals in 3ds max I managed to get it all working. Some texture issues but I will look into that tomorrow, thought id share my results.

hopeful, Jaimi and dogzerx2 like this.
  26. Acissathar

Acissathar

I've finally gotten time to play around with these, and I've got to say I love them and can't wait for more updates / add-ons, etc. The art style is exactly what I'm after, and it was super easy to integrate. I didn't even realize you had a large base set of animations when I originally purchased, and it's made it so easy to start a prototype.

Current Asset Store version works like a charm so far.

Beta test:
    (Disclosure, I'm a terrible beta tester. I asked you back in March and just now am I actually testing it. Forgive me :oops:)

I haven't run into any glaring issues so that's sweet. I'm going to try moving forward off of the beta package (more art stuff, condensed animations, lots of nice updates) and try it some more. I did notice there are a lot more scripts, what exactly are they trying to all account for? If I understand the initial (asset store) ones correctly, they were just setting Parents (for animations) and trying to optimize by removing unseen meshes?

dogzerx2 likes this.
  27. Acissathar

Acissathar

As expected, as soon as I say everything is working fine I run into something. It seems some of the clothing is trying to set itself below the actual spot when just dragging and dropping.

I've narrowed it down to the boots being the issue. Without boots (any style) on, everything is lined up perfectly. Putting boots on moves the character up a small amount which seems to throw off all of the scripts.

For what it's worth, boots aren't a deal breaker in this phase I'm at so I'll keep playing with it :)

Attached Files:

dogzerx2 likes this.
  28. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

No, thank you!! There's absolutely no obligation with the beta test files.

This is the current situation, I'm currently considering focusing on the 3D art, and make the asset be UMA compatible.

I think this way you'll get the tried and true UMA functionality, and more of the art. And honestly wish I had gone this route much sooner, because I spent a lot of time reinventing the wheel.

The alternative is that I keep trying to tidy up the scripts as well, but that would include spending a lot of time re-writing a lot of stuff, and fixing glitches.

Exactly what I was talking about, hopefully you'll be able to make use of the boots with no problem with UMA!

Acissathar likes this.
  29. Acissathar

Acissathar

I'm totally down that solution. Just the art stuff is what I was after, and there's so many other solutions people could be using (Morph is still around I think), so letting people just integrate themselves sounds like less headaches for you too.

dogzerx2 likes this.
  30. thebaddie

thebaddie

Hello again

I'd like to know if there are chances to have a release with this new characters soon and if you plan to make also modern clothes

dogzerx2 likes this.
  31. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Currently consider Cartoon Heroes just as what's shown in the store page. I am temporarily focusing on other assets. And in the mid-term future I plan to come back to Cartoon Heroes to add more content, and add UMA support as a first step, and then proceed to re-write my own scripts to provide a simplistic alternative to UMA.

Once I've tackled a good character customization method, I would love to incorporate it in most characters I do, including modern or futuristic characters. But this is a long term plan.

32. kdgalla

kdgalla

What happened to this? I don't see it on the Asset Store anymore. Do you plan to reintroduce this project some time in the future?

dogzerx2 likes this.
  33. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I really love the art style.

dogzerx2 likes this.
  34. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Hey!

I do plan to come back to it. But since it's taking longer than expected (plus I've gotten a couple of complains with the scripts even in current version which I thought was stable).. for now.. I've disabled new purchases.

For you nothing should change, you have access to the characters now, and when I re-submit you'll still have access to the updates. It's just that new people can't purchase it for now, until I have something that's 100% stable.

To give a better explanation Cartoon Heroes started small with just one character, and then I've added the female, then the base models, to which I wanted to add custom clothing, and then I wanted to add custom Unity Tools to modify the characters proportions, skin color, hair color, etc. And it became a little unmanageable for me.

My plan is to make it so I can just focus on the 3D art and not so much Unity Tools... making tools and ensure they don't glitch or break is very difficult, not something I can put together casually... I would have to invest myself entirely on it, when in fact I want to focus on the 3D art.

I'm about to finish a batch of characters I had planned for Asset Store. And after that I'm gonna make a new roadmap and focus on Cartoon Heroes again. But this time maybe focus on better 3D art, sadly maybe you can't customize as much, no morphs or things that can go wrong, less tools, but make up for it with more variety.

Acissathar likes this.
  35. kdgalla

kdgalla

Thanks for answering. I actually hadn't bought them yet, but they were on my wishlist. I was waiting to see where you were going to go with the customization features. I'm sort-of interested in a character creation system for cartoony characters. Right now, all the ones on the asset store seem to be for realistic characters.

I understand what you mean by not wanting to maintain a sprawling tool set for Unity, but I wonder if simply making them compatible with UMA would be easier then building your own. I don't know what's involved with that at all, though.

dogzerx2 likes this.
  36. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

As long as I can get a good ratio between how much work I put in and how much I deliver then I'm all for it.

Cartoon Heroes have 6+ months in give or take. I can't say for sure, but it's certainly not a good ratio of work:results.

I've been suggested UMA before and it might not be a bad idea, but I still haven't put my hands on it and see how difficult it is to use.

37. Jaimi

Jaimi

dogzerx2 and hopeful like this.
  38. hopeful

hopeful

Just guessing, but I think you could convert everything over to UMA in a couple of days. It shouldn't be that hard.

dogzerx2 likes this.
  39. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

If it took me just a week or two would be great. Maybe if I already knew UMA in and out I could confidently do it in short time.

I've been back and forth on this subject. I was going to do this before the year ends, but then I got intimidated by UMA's complexity >__>

I'm going to watch the videos @Jaimi linked, and see if I can make a list of all the requirements for UMA compatibility, hopefully I can make UMA Cartoon Heroes the first milestone of 2019

40. hopeful

hopeful

There may be more than one way to do it, but conceptually, at least, I think you'd start by taking one of your base toons and lining it up in Blender (or whatever) with the matching sex UMA base model. Scale and rotate your model till the rough dimensions of it matches the UMA exactly, and then transfer weights. That should make your model a new full body skin for UMA, which is needed for stitching body slot normals.

Export that, and see if you get it working easily in an UMA project. If you've got the right export settings and have zeroed out the scaling and rotation type modifiers, you should be good to go. The proportions of your characters will be using UMA DNA, which means they'll probably be a little out of proportion for what you want, but you can always adjust the DNA later. Play with that a bit, so you feel comfortable that you can get the look you want.

Then I think you probably want to return to that model and cut and possibly make adjustments to the mesh so that you get some body parts meshes. This isn't 100% necessary, as I think UMA now has a masking tool that can remove unwanted polys and especially those that cause poke through, but some devs are looking to cut every poly they can, so chopping up the body into head and torso and legs type slots would fall under optimization. You may also, for instance, want to have cartoon eyes, cartoon inner mouth.

As for blendshapes, if you have them on the Blender body skin I think they may automatically be available in UMA. Jaimi would know for sure.

After that, you just drag each piece of clothing or hair onto your new UMA skin, in Blender (or whatever), and export them separately as slots (meshes) and overlays (textures). It's pretty easy, once you've done your first one.

If you were already familiar with the process, I think you could possibly do it in a day. So, with a little UMA learning, but being familiar with your 3D modeling program and making the inevitable errors ... I'm thinking maybe two days? Possibly three if you find something is wrong and you want to re-do it all from scratch. ;)

The main thing is getting the UMA skeleton inside your body mesh, so you have access to all the adjust bones and facial expression bones. And I think you can get there by lining up your base mesh with the UMA mesh, eliminating your character's skeleton, transferring weights from UMA's mesh, then eliminating the UMA mesh and making that your new base model. Or something like that. Watch the videos about making a new race (i.e., new base model). :)

(I thought I'd put this up there in case I got something wrong, or if Jaimi or somebody sees an important complication to mention.)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    dogzerx2 likes this.
  41. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

That makes sense. I like the idea of completely hijack the UMA skeleton. I will try that, it sounds like it must work.
    I have a lot of clothing and I wonder if I will be able to easily implement them too.

42. Jaimi

Jaimi

That would allow you the most customization, for sure. And if you were able to do it by adjusting the armature, then you can shortcut the process for all the clothes.

There is another option though - that would be easier if I were doing it. That would be to just bring your model as-is into UMA, and then start adding adjustment bones where needed. That could get you in quickly. For the majority of your model, it's likely that you would just duplicate the legs/arms/spine/neck/head bones to create adjustment bones (parent the adjustment bone to the regular bone), and then simply rename the vertex groups to point to the new bones.

The tricky part happens when you get to the face - if you add adjustment bones (like for the nose), then you have to add weights for them. But then again, you can do that a bone or two at a time.

Whichever way works best for you.

The first thing to do though is to figure out how to make your "slots" - that is, the mesh pieces. If your body & head use a single material, then it's probably easiest to just have one slot for the body. If you have separate materials, then the pieces that use those will need to be broken out into their own slots. You can also cut your model up into even more pieces (so you can hide pieces of it). But that's not needed so much anymore, especially if they're not really high-poly. (there is a new system for hiding mesh parts to address poke-through).

dogzerx2 likes this.
  43. hopeful

hopeful

I would think it would be fairly easy, but there can always be little snags. Conceptually, you just transfer weights for each slot (clothing item mesh). Making the overlays might be more work than that, but they are just the textures for each individual slot.

44. Acissathar

Acissathar

I've been using the old version for development and I'm curious how things are going with the newer version. :)

dogzerx2 likes this.
  45. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

OMG I've been changing my mind back and forth regarding using UMA or starting over, and ultimately what I really want to do is to start over from scratch eventually. UMA seems VERY complete, but I foresee a lot of complications with it, and at least for now I don't want to get into something so complex. I will just end up in another time sucking spiral, and I can't afford that right now.

I want to have just 1 script, very simple and minimalist. Quickly choose character clothing with a few buttons, and then a few proportion sliders.

But I don't want to set any dates to start working on it. For now please consider the project on hold. I really want to re-make the project entirely in a way I can easily expand it without a lot of complications.

duencil and Acissathar like this.
  46. hopeful

hopeful

FWIW, I think it's fine to provide models that have extra costume parts you toggle on and off.

If someone wants to use them with UMA, they can convert them relatively easily. So I think it's fine to focus more on the art, and less on the clothing switching framework.

Just please provide the textures for the clothing pieces individually, as that's a help. Other tools, like UMA, SimpleLOD, Mesh Baker, etc. can do the atlasing, if that's desired. :)

Acissathar and dogzerx2 like this.
  47. Acissathar

Acissathar

I'm in agreement with hopeful if it helps any :) I have no problem rolling my own solution if we're just provided the models.

For what it's worth, not being forced to use a specific system like UMA might also be a blessing to some projects.

hopeful likes this.
  48. GreenTraveler

GreenTraveler

i would love to repurchase cartoon heroes with a rig and animations similar to your robot warrior or insect characters, just a nice mecanim rig to use my motion collections on

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    dogzerx2 likes this.
  49. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

YEAH, I want to do that! I might just do something of the sort. But I want to keep it feasible, no huge unrealistic projects! I'm already a crippled old man at 36 years old I can't keep dreaming big.

Obviously no repurchase required, I will resuscitate the deprecated asset, Asset Store allows me to do that with the press of a button.

But I want to make them very simple, 3 parts customization: bust, torso, and legs.

Animation will be handled by simple parenting to an invisible skeleton. Boom. You just animate the invisible skeleton like you'd animate any character.

No scripts involved. Some manual bone scaling could be required at best. This can be easily done manually but I will provide as many ready out-the-box prefabs as I can think of.

No body bone deformation messing with LateUpdate after animation. But a lot of blendshapes for body and shape customization, and various base body types.

Also, texture variations. I have been neglecting texture variations for ALL my assets, I should do something about that.

I had fallen in love with the idea of being able to transition from skinny to fat/muscular seamlessly. But how many people are really going to use that feature? And even then, while mesh swapping wouldn't be as gracious, it would work for that purpose, plus with blendshapes you can still do some interesting seamless body changes.

I'm finishing some current work right now, might take 2-3 weeks. But after that I'm thinking I'll revive Cartoon Heroes.

rrahim and Acissathar like this.
  50. GreenTraveler

GreenTraveler

the only thing keeping me from using the heroes on my current setup is the facial animations are seperate, my controller doesnt use masks so the toons dont blink and unless i manually move the jaw the guy has a open mouth ;p...but the style of the heroes i cant replace with any other character on the store they just look too awesome

ive been waiting on purchasing the robots to see what the last two are if your still doing 5 in a pack
    love the female bot and hope to see a male version, they would be great in a megaman style run and gun shooter

dogzerx2 likes this.