Search Unity

Assets [BETA RELEASED] CityGen3D | Procedural city generation from map data

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by CityGen3D, Jan 28, 2018.

1. CityGen3D

CityGen3D

Yes, how I see it working is a bit like around 1 minute into that video.
    You'll be able to draw all the different types of CityGen3D objects out in 2D (such MapSurfaces and MapRoads).
    Then any generator settings and functionality would apply to these just as they do for those created by OpenStreetMap at the moment.

Hypothetically if you draw a mesh even now, say using Pro Builder, and assign a MapSurface component to it, the generator would see that just as if it had been data from OSM. But obviously its really unintuitive at the moment. So this feature will be about providing a user friendly way of being able to draw the 2D maps using a toolbar and clicking out shapes and lines in Scene view (top-down) to make your residental zones, roads and whatever else.

2. jeffmorris1956

jeffmorris1956

When using CityGen3D to create 3D models of cities, don't try to create groups of terrains larger than 5X5 or you'll get messages about files larger than 4GB.

3. CityGen3D

CityGen3D

Unity has a 4GB scene limit.
    If you are processing very large areas in one go, after creating the terrains click the Convert To Scenes button (under Generate Terrains), which will save down each terrain as a separate scene.

However, since the terrain tiling workflow was introduced you also have the option of working on smaller areas at a time.

4. CityGen3D

CityGen3D

Here's a work-in-progress look at the new "Features" module for mesh cloning and extrusion along OpenStreetMap ways.
    Perfect for procedural generation of railways, fences, walls and hedges.

editor_features.png

5. jeffmorris1956

jeffmorris1956

6. CityGen3D

CityGen3D

Hi Jeff,

I'd really like to fix the issue you are having so please let me know the Lat/Lon of the 3x3 area that failed so I can reproduce.
    I have no outstanding bug reports from any other user, so I can look into your issues as high priority with a bit more info.
    Thanks!

7. jeffmorris1956

jeffmorris1956

Is it possible that I may have bad OpenStreetMaps data? What's the best OpenStreetMaps data?

8. CityGen3D

CityGen3D

I'm not sure what you mean by "best OSM data". Some areas are more densely mapped than others. An area like Staten island is great because it has lots of detail in the mapping, but this does mean it can take longer to process.
    However, if it's taking an excessively long time then that may indicate that there's something unique in the data set of a particular location that is taking really long to process.

Some OSM ways and relations (group of ways) can be huge, and it may be that CityGen3D is trying to process something it doesn't need to, as was previously the case with the Place-Island relation.
    So knowing the Lat/Lon coords is really helpful as it allows me to investigate the exact cause and come up with a fix.

Also note that you can speed up data processing by ignoring certain types of data on the Processing Filter on Location panel (v0.64+).
    For instance there's not much point processing Buildings and Features yet, because the modules that would utilise the data isn't released yet.
    You can also speed up processing fairly significantly by ignoring coastline processing if you know your current area selection doesn't cross a land/sea border.

But as I say, if you having to wait more than a few minutes after clicking Process then please give me Lat/Lon cords as an example and I will look into this further as priority.

9. jeffmorris1956

jeffmorris1956

Status report on CityGen3d?

10. CityGen3D

CityGen3D

Hi Jeff,

Next release probably a week or two away, but will include some good stuff including more 3D assets to demo the new mesh extrusion feature.
    I'll try and release more screenshots over weekend.

Planned roadmap at the moment for major iterations to give you a better idea:

0.7 - Mesh extrusion along ways such as railway, hedges, walls, fences. (Hopefully early August)
    0.8 - Buildings generated from OSM data (either BuildR2 integration, custom solution, or both).
    0.9 - Fixes for Asset Store approval (Undo functionality on Editor windows, etc).
    1.0 - First Asset Store release, if approved.

After Asset Store Release:
    * Support for 2D map editing and creating custom maps without OSM data
    * Scene streaming solution
    * Support for procedural bridges
    * Start work on separate AI add-on for CityGen3D to add traffic and pedestrians

hopeful and Bartolomeus755 like this.
  11. CityGen3D

CityGen3D

Here are some more test of the upcoming module in CityGen3D allowing you to extrude and clone prefabs along OSM ways, used in these screenshots for the hedges, wooden fences, and chain-link fencing.

screenshot1.png
    screenshot2.png

12. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Looks great. :)

CityGen3D likes this.
  13. DiscoJustice

DiscoJustice

Looks really good!

CityGen3D likes this.
  14. PhilipZ0

PhilipZ0

Any updates on when 0.7 version might come up? The plugin seems amazing.

CityGen3D likes this.
  15. CityGen3D

CityGen3D

Thanks. It’s in test now so hopefully at some point over next few days if nothing unexpected comes up.
    I’ll let you know here as soon as there’s any definite news.