Search Unity

[BETA RELEASE] Amplify Impostors

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Amplify_Ricardo, Jul 10, 2018.

1. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Sorry I mean the shader pass, so that the GPU can reject drawing expensive pixels for most of the insides as we don't need transparency all that much :)
    In this case I would've used it for clouds. clumpy smoke etc...

Thanks for the great answers.

2. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

I'm afraid it wont work well for those types of effects, it's best suited for opaque and cutout assets.

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Thanks - just I saw the technique used for clouds and thought it would be cool here. I'm 100% OK with that and it hasn't put me off this asset either!

4. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

No problem!

The technique itself could probably be adapted but, as is, it's not something we would recommend. Not to say it's not something we might look into in the future, we've received a few requests along those lines.

Thank you for understanding.

Lars-Steenhoff and hippocoder like this.
  5. barker_s

barker_s

Hi guys, it appears that in Unity 2018.3 impostors no longer cast shadows. Is this a known issue? When can we expect an update?

6. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

We don't support 2018.3 yet, you can expect an update soon.

Thanks!

7. marcatore

marcatore

I agree with your suggestion. Any kind of UV space & resolution optimization is more than welcome.

ledbetterman likes this.
  8. reggie_sgs

reggie_sgs

I'm seeing an issue where imposters don't seem to be lit the same as the base object. They appear darker and you can see a distinctive line where the imposters start. Are there any lighting tricks I should be aware of so these blend in better?

9. WildStyle69

WildStyle69

Seems there could be a lighting issue with Unity 2018.3 if you're using that, check a couple of pages back in this message thread. New asset build coming soon, that should hopefully address this and other minor issues that have been report.

// WildStyle

10. reggie_sgs

reggie_sgs

We're using 2017.4.3f1 and we're supposed to release within a few weeks. Any chance you could send me a fix before that time?

11. Chesney

Chesney

Hi there,
    First of all this is genius! Loving the idea although when i implement the impostor into an object my LOD distance changes, even though camera distance has not. Settings have not changed. max LOD0 prefferred LOD1.
    this is without.....
    withoutImposter.PNG

then when i add imposter to the object the LOD goes weird everytime like this, even though still 60%.
    imposter is replace last which is LOD2.
    withimposter.PNG

Any idea to what is going wrong?
    Best Regards,
    Steven.

12. spinaLcord

spinaLcord

You need Scale 1,1,1 on target object then bake in imposter script then scale it again to the orginal scale. I think its a bug.

Chesney likes this.
  13. Chesney

Chesney

Thanks very much for the reply,
    This fixed my issue!

14. Cobo3

Cobo3

Hi!

I think I might need a little bit of help.

I setup the following building with the following configuration.
    The pivot is in local space, and the size of the model is around 50m each dimension.
    Sin título.png

The final bake doesn't look good at all, though. It is so small because it is supposed to be looked at from around 150m far.

Any help?

15. Bzuco

Bzuco

@Cobo3 Hemi octahedron will not work as you expected from 150m on 50m height object which has plenty of details like small tiny towers. Blending between frames in this mode is breaking the visual fidelity. Maybe from 300m distance it will be OK. Try to use spherical mode or wait until Amplify company will add hemi spherical baking mode. They are working on other modes which will brings more potential from impostor technology :). Also you can use less pixel padding, 32 is not neccessarry, 8 or 4 should be OK.

16. Deusald

Deusald

@Amplify_Ricardo Will amplify impostors support baked light? Is it on roadmap?

17. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hello, can you share a sample with the issue present to support@amplify.pt?

Unfortunately, we can't offer any ETAs regarding fixes or the upcoming build as our developer is currently overloaded, but we'll be happy to look into the sample and see if there are any possible workarounds.

Hey there, this is a known issue that will be solved in an upcoming build, thank you for pitching in!

Hello, the video is unavailable, can you re-upload it or send us a sample so that we can look for any potential issues, or did Bzuco's suggestions work out for you?

Hello, although this is not in the current roadmap, we might be able to look into it further down the road.

The problem wouldn't just be supporting this feature, but rather the way that it would be configured by the user, since it would likely be necessary to create a new map with the baked light per impostor, which would defeat the impostors purpose in a way.

18. Cobo3

Cobo3

Maybe you can try now :)

And no, reducing pixel padding did not solve the artifacts.

Thanks in advance!!

19. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Thanks! There's definitely something wrong, could you please share a sample with the issue present to support@amplify.pt, so that we can debug it on our side?

20. eXiin

eXiin

Any ETA for the support of 2018.3?
    When trying to bake, It look like the ambient light is not taken in consideration:

Unity_2019-01-18_09-27-15.png Unity_2019-01-18_09-27-21.png

21. Bzuco

Bzuco

For now you can bake in 2018.2 and replace the baked textures in 2018.3 project.

22. eXiin

eXiin

In fact, the baked texture look almost correct, It's more the shader to render the Octagon that look like it's not taking in consideration ambient light

upload_2019-1-18_9-44-2.png
    (Yes I use paint, and I have no shame)

here is the result with an extra light
    Unity_2019-01-18_09-48-11.png Unity_2019-01-18_09-48-27.png

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  23. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hey there! We really apologize for the delay regarding the next update, it's definitely coming soon as we're ironing out the last couple of issues.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  24. eXiin

eXiin

I've fixed the ambient issue by just adding a black texture in the Emission & Occlusion
    upload_2019-1-18_12-15-28.png

And the fact that Assets are baked in black, you need to set a default scene in
    Edit > Project settings > Editor > Prefab Editing Environments
    upload_2019-1-18_12-16-53.png

Here is the result:
    upload_2019-1-18_12-19-6.png

upload_2019-1-18_12-19-23.png

25. StrongCube

StrongCube

Thx, i wait update.

Amplify_Ricardo likes this.
  26. StrongCube

StrongCube

Can I use Imposter only from code? To automate the process

27. dooly123

dooly123

I really need this feature as well I have cut down the code as much as I can but its a lot to do just to make way to call a force rebaking of all assigned impostors.

I created some code that iterates over the scene and looks for examples where impostors work. e.g distance from navmesh vertice, size of the game object, mesh density.

my current solution can only assign impostor system then get it set up but actually cant build an impostor.
    but besides that early tests are very acceptable. for reference, we are going to use impostor for https://lastepochgame.com/

28. corjn

corjn

Hey @eXiin, @barker_s @Xefier @kilik128

Amplify says the update is coming soon (the developer seems overloaded, as a developer myself I can understand that)

But if you really need to work with Amplify Impostors right now because of deadlines, I made I very basic PBR patch, so everyone can start working with amplify impostors with 2018.3.

No more white, but as you can see, I did not manage to fix the shadows with directional light.

But it's working well with point and spot light.

So I think everyone can sort things out with that meanwhile Amplify is making an update.

Here is the patch:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1K65sVQBjuEalxDDAk9qDnUwowREtwwu9

(A note to Amplify team : don't worry, there is just some custom presets and shaders made with ase here, not the full package. If it's still a problem just tell me if you want this to be removed for legal issues)

Just use the preset "StandardDeferred_Octahedron_Fixed" if you work with Octahedron workflow for example.

(If no impostor appears, try deleting everything and just restart with "Insert After" and make sure your mesh is selected in the references)

barker_s likes this.
  29. Suki-W

Suki-W

30. locbh

locbh

Hi guys,
    Do you know the ETA for the next version?

31. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Glad to know you found a workaround, the update is almost complete.

You can but it's not ideal at the moment, we will include batch baking soon.

That's an interesting application, definitely speeds up the testing process.

Ideally we would provide you the means to simply run a batch bake, definitely one of our priorities.

Looking forward to your game!

Thank you for understanding, and for your contribution!

The update is very close now, that's actually one of the issues we already corrected.

Soon!

1-2 weeks, hopefully much less.

Thank you all for your patience.

32. threeguysgamestudio

threeguysgamestudio

Hey there! My game has a fixed camera angle, a la Diablo 3 - I'd really like to be able to use a camera view as a reference for axis frames to bake - as it stands when I reduce to 1 axis I'm stuck with the bottom-up view..or maybe it's top down, not sure.

Anyhow, If I could just bake the 1 camera view axis that I need, I could do other fun things like use an atlas for lots of different impostors instead of having a bunch of different view angles on each texture that I won't use.

Any way to make this happen?

33. Royall

Royall

Upgraded from Unity 2017 to 2018.3 and rebaking imposters turns them to a fully white silhouette. Is the project abandoned? I see the last update was September 2018?

34. eXiin

eXiin

Scroll up two messages above your message.

35. Royall

Royall

Ahh whoops, don't know how I missed that, thx!

36. magique

magique

I started using this, but can't get similar results as seen in the screenshots and videos. Every time I bake an imposter, the results are very blurry and choppy, but the examples look crisp and higher res. I am using the default texture resolution of 2048 and other default settings, but results are unsatisfying. From far distance it's not too bad, but certainly not what I see in the videos. Any tips on how to get results like in the videos?

LIVENDA_LABS likes this.
  37. Bzuco

Bzuco

Check this post https://forum.unity.com/threads/beta-release-amplify-impostors.539844/page-8#post-3940705
    and few posts above, it looks like similar issue.

38. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hello, thank you for your feedback!

We do hope to provide additional baking options in future builds, so that users may have more control over the generated impostors, but I can't offer any estimates on this.

For now, you may take a shot of any side if you place your object within another and rotate it inside it.

Hello, could you share a screenshot of your results? Please be aware that certain objects might work best with different Impostor Types, and that they are all meant to be used at a certain distance from the camera.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  39. Royall

Royall

Is there a new ETA for the 2018.3 update?

My imposters look like this now:

Inspecting the material shows that the Emission & Occlusion bake is fully white. Will this also be fixed in 2018.3?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  40. serberusno1

serberusno1

So just wondering, does this now bake in lightmap information? Also, does it bake any kind of reflections etc?

41. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Apologies for the inconvenience, we're almost done with the 2018.3 update which will also introduce SRP support.

It does not currently bake lightmap information or reflections, it does support lighting even casting and receiving shadows. For a fully customized bake and runtime shader, we recommend using Amplify Shader Editor.

Let us know if you have any followup questions, thanks!

42. ohbado

ohbado

Hello.
    I am using a Forward custom shader.
    I would like to modify the shader to bake with Amplify Impostors.
    Can you present a TIPS that makes shaders correspond to Impostors without using Amplify Shader Editor?
    Thank you.

43. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hello! At this time only shaders exposing a Deferred path are supported for baking ( such as Unity Standard shaders ), but the resulting Impostors can be used in both Forward and Deferred modes. It won't be possible to bake Forward shaders.

Regardless of the above, we are unable to provide assistance with custom shaders or packages as we lack the resources to do so, unfortunately. Still, if you are an advanced user and want to create custom bake or runtime shaders for Amplify Impostors manually, you can still follow our custom baking guide by comparing the results with the sample provided, which you can find within the 'AmplifyImpostors / Examples / Scenes / CustomBaking' folder.

44. Royall

Royall

It will be 2 weeks tomorrow. I assume it will take longer.. Any new ETA?

45. Amplify_Paulo

Amplify_Paulo

Sorry for the long delay, I've been personally busy so this updated took a lot longer than expected. Also, SRP is it's own beast and supporting it prove to be difficult. This build solves a bunch of issues that were pilling up, hopefully the majority of them are now fixed.

SRP support has been added, due to recent changes to HDRP the supported version is 4.9 and up. Since SRP is constantly changing future issues with SRP seem to be bound to happen so keep the reports coming.

We also don't have any sample for SRP yet, I work on it in the next few days, I didn't want to delay this release any longer for it. Download it from the website as usual.

Amplify Impostors 0.9.3 - Asset Store - Amplify Products

Improvements
    • Added support for both LWRP and HDRP including custom baking support through ASE (different packages for each to prevent shader compile errors)
      • Standard HDRP impostors only support the Standard and Standard Specular material types for now, more advance maps like Anisotropy, Subsurface Scattering or Iridescence are supported but only with a custom map baking.
    • Lots of shader code was recreated and refactored providing various small performance optimizations
    • Frame clipping should now prevent neighbor frames completely (before it was still showing some few artifacts)
    • Bounds are now calculated from the mesh and not from the renderer which should make bounds more tight and compliant with LOD groups
    • Material has a new property called 'Shadow View' which allows further adjustments to shadows in cases where self-shadowing generates too many artifacts depending on the view
    Fixes
    • Fixed issue with namespace conflicts with other plugins
    • Fixed support for Unity 2018.3 that was causing baking white impostors
    • Fixed issue where impostors would progressively face a different direction when in orthographic
    • Fixed issue where auto generated mesh was not being generated on first bake and in other specific occasions
    • Fixed issue where LOD impostor had huge bounds when original object was scaling the LOD group instead of the LOD object
    • Fixed issue where LOD impostor had different depth from original LOD group object
    • Fixed issue with insert mode "insert after" that was create an impostor with "pink shader" in some situations

v0.9.2 rev002
    Improvements

• Added support for clipping frames to the Amplify Impostor node

v0.9.2 rev001
    Fixes

• Both worldPos and viewPos ports of the Impostor node now work correctly in both vertex and fragment outputs

best regards, Paulo Pinho

46. DarkGate

DarkGate

Yay! Finally, the fix is here! Thank you in advance! Waiting for the version to become available on the asset store.

47. 3d_Artist1987

3d_Artist1987

Any roadmap to support skin mesh render (character idle animation)?

48. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hey there!

It's in our roadmap to support Runtime baking impostors with animation support, but we can't offer any ETA at this time.

49. 3d_Artist1987

3d_Artist1987

Thanks for reply

Amplify_Borba likes this.
  50. Jbs_GameZone

Jbs_GameZone

Hello,

Purchased Amplify Impostors, looked over the manual but I'm having issues into generating impostors for prefabs.
    Below is an example of one of my prefabs (one mesh, shader & texture) that contains multiple buildings:

Impostor_0.png

I've added Amplify Impostor script and baked impostor but it doesn't contain anything (the billboard mesh is empty), here is a snapshot from the scene ( LOD1 still displays the original prefab ):

Impostor_1.png

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction with this, looking fwd for your feedback.

Thanks