Search Unity

[BETA RELEASE] Amplify Impostors

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Amplify_Ricardo, Jul 10, 2018.

1. rubble1

rubble1

Looks really promising, I've had a good experience with your shader editor. Does this work with flat shading? Such as a shader like Marvelous Techniques or COLR?

2. Bzuco

Bzuco

If you are using octahedrons baking type, then you will see some blending on impostors which will decrease overall texture sharpness. You need to increase baking resolution or use spherical baking type(no blending between frames). You can also open impostors diffuse texture in external application like photoshop and use sharpening on mipmaps when saving as DDS format.(nvidia dds plugin for photoshop is needed).

Octahedrons looks good when you are a little far from object...or exactly when the object size on screen is the same size as on diffuse texture(watching it on 1:1 scale on monitor). Otherwise you need to use simple spherical baking method if you want to have better quality on impostor which is closer to camera...and also play with number X and Y axis frames, resolution, to find some compromis between texture sharpness/size and impostor popping.

3. Jean-Carlos-Gregolon

Jean-Carlos-Gregolon

I got that, I know its not supose to have high quality at near distances, but I can't understand why its not at the same quality level shown on the videos and documentation.
    It's exactly the same configuration, actually, it's a demo scene, it should work same way as on the demo videos.
    My question is, why is there a diference so absurd when placed side by side the imagens below? mine and from the documentation.

Mine:

Documentation one (http://wiki.amplify.pt/index.php?title=Unity_Products:Amplify_Impostors/Custom_Baking):

4. Bzuco

Bzuco

Check your mipmap bias in impostor shader, or somewhere in windows graphics driver settings, it looks like something is forcing use lower mips on everything. And maybe after hit bake impostor button there is asking something about overriding texture resolution... Check what baked resolution is, maybe is just 1024x1024 and not 2k.

5. Jean-Carlos-Gregolon

Jean-Carlos-Gregolon

Thanks for the quick reply.
    I've tryed even 8k resolution and got same results, but, soon after placed the last post I've tryed it on an empty project, and there it has worked fine.
    I'm not sure what's causing the issue, but it's for sure something in my project options.. I guess I was too excited to try that asset out and jumped into my main project with it.
    Sorry for wasting your time anyway...
    But if you do know wich option may be causing that, I would love to know that without having to tweak everything to find out hehe.

6. DarkGate

DarkGate

upload_2018-11-30_15-11-30.png

I am using Unity 2018.3.0b2, I get white emission and occlusion when baking an impostor. The example on the left is the default one from the asset, and the example on the right is a rebaked-duplicate of the left. Shouldn't it yield the same results?

Seems like everything I bake results in pure white emission. Am I doing something wrong?

7. HP

HP

@Amplify_Ricardo If I import Amplify Imposters there are some naming conflicts with other projects like Ciconia Studios Shader Painter ( https://forum.unity.com/threads/shader-painter-beta.512369/ ).
    They uses the TextureScale as a class and Amplify Imposters uses TextureScale as enum and both are without namespaces!
    Please use namespaces for all plugin projects to minimize those conflicts.

Mipmap and Bzuco like this.
  8. Stardog

Stardog

They don't support beta versions of Unity. Right now just put the albedo in that slot, but the model still won't react to lighting.

Amplify_Ricardo likes this.
  9. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Could be an interesting addition.

I'm afraid we're unable to support beta Unity versions. Is the issue also present in previously stable versions? I'm not entirely sure if this is a Unity or WebGL related issue.

By default, the Impostor tool only creates the Impostors which can be use by themselves. Using a LOD group does simply the process, and allows you to fade between each level.

Be sure to check the tutorial: Amplify Impostors - Unity LOD Group

Does seem a bit off, what's your current Unity version and is the problem also present in a new empy project?

Thanks!

It really depends on the shaders used, Amplify Impostors currently require Deferred shaders for the baking process; it does work with forward at runtime.

Could you be forcing texture compression/size in the previous project?

I'm afraid we're unable to support beta versions, be sure to use a previously stable Unity version for your bakes; support for 2018.3 will be available at a later stage.

Thanks for the heads up. We usually take good care to avoid this type of problem, we'll look into it ASAP!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  10. skinwalker

skinwalker

I am getting this error when building for Linux, I tried building again and it worked but my third build failed.

Shader error in 'Hidden/Amplify Impostors/Octahedron Impostor': the size of constant buffer UnityInstancing_PerDraw0 is 4499 16-byte entries, which exceeds maximum allowed size of 4096 entries at /Software/Unity 2017 3.1/Unity/Editor/Data/CGIncludes/UnityInstancing.cginc(235) (on vulkan)

Compiling Vertex program with DIRECTIONAL SHADOWS_SCREEN SHADOWS_SHADOWMASK LIGHTPROBE_SH LOD_FADE_CROSSFADE INSTANCING_ON
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_LIGHTMAP_RGBM_ENCODING

11. skinwalker

skinwalker

The other problem is when I play the build and ALT + Tab then ALT + Tab again to enter the game, sometimes the LOD is bugged and I see the imposter from a very close range. What happens in most cases, once I enter the game again, I see the imposter (LOD1) slowly transitioning to the LOD0, but as I said once it got stuck to the imposter and didnt change to LOD0 until I reached the lod switch distance and got close to the object again.

12. gecko

gecko

Are you still working on support for skinned mesh renderers? If so...any ETA?

ftejada likes this.
  13. witcher101

witcher101

Does this work on webgl

14. jnbbender

jnbbender

Please help me understand. Looking at the BarrelsAndBoulders demo as well as a simple impostor I created, it appears all I did was create an additional mesh. I still need the original mesh. All Amplify Impostors did was simply create an additional "low res" mesh as a child of the same prefab. Am I missing something?

15. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Thank you for the heads-up, we'll have to examine it as we've not done extensive Linux testing.

Can you replicate this issue without impostors?

Getting close ;)

Sorry for the lack of information, we're not too far off!

Also not tested extensively, will be covered soon.

Impostors do not require the original mesh, the LOD Group we included in the example does.

An impostor is an individual "fake representation" of the original, which can be described as "low resolution" when seen from a close distance. In our example, given the way it's setup, the impostor will be created as a child object.

Do you need additional assistance setting it up?

I recommend starting with the Amplify Impostors tutorials, #1 and #2; and checking the available wiki information.

Thanks!

16. skinwalker

skinwalker

I think it's LOD switching problem, because when I ALT + TAB and then resume the game I can see the LOD transition even if Im very close to the house, and once the roof was stuck to LOD1 (billboard) and I was only a few inches away from it (you must be very far away to trigger LOD1 transition in normal cases)

17. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Interesting, might be worth submitting an official bug report to Unity ;)

18. real2u

real2u

Hey there,

First of all I love your asset, it´s really helped us a lot.

We are currently using Unity 2018.3.b11 due to ARFoundation + LWRP, however, we haven't managed to get impostors working properly . We are using LWRP 3.3.0 due to a few ARFoundation limitations.

We've noticed that the billboard mesh isn't recognised and we receive a bunch of errors. Basically the generated Impostor doesn't have a mesh

I've uploaded our base project with AmplifyImpostors already imported so you can have a quick look
    https://wetransfer.com/downloads/ec...86aeebbc98407209e76971ba20181206191700/f38c64

We love your asset and thanks for everything upfront
    Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 17.14.40.png

19. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Thanks, we really appreciate it!

Unfortunately, we're unable to support beta Unity versions; support for LW SRP is also not yet available.

LW and HD SRP support will be available soon while Unity 2018.3 support will likely be added around the same time it leaves its beta stage.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

20. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

LAST CALL!

Quick heads up for anyone interested in adding Amplify Shader Editor, Amplify Impostors, or any of our other products to their collection, the Unity Asset Store CYBER WEEK MADNESS SALE ends today!

Now is the best time to get our packages at half price!

MADNESS SALE - Amplify Products at 50% OFF

21. MoribitoMT

MoribitoMT

I am really interested in this asset, I am developing project for mobile ( iOS and Android )

I have 2 major questions
    1. How does this tool effect final project size after build ( .apk or ipa for android / ios ) I mean, does it create images and store before build, or does it do everything on the go?
    2. How does effect performance really, does it increase draw calls ? ( I am aware in reduces polygon count drastically )

22. radiantboy

radiantboy

Hi, looks great, is there a free demo I can try first? I often find these things don't work for my scene so it would be great to try before I buy. Real shame I just missed the sale too!..

lod3 likes this.
  23. lod3

lod3

Have to echo this. It was the only reason I didn't pick it up during the sale. This is really one of those assets you need to evaluate with your own content to see if it fits your needs. Maybe e.g. an eval version where every angle is watermarked?

radiantboy likes this.
  24. Willbkool_FPCS

Willbkool_FPCS

I've watched the 2 tutorial videos but I can't get the imposter to show up. Whether I let this asset make the LOD group or I create one first, the imposter just doesn't show up, and the textures are all blank. I've deleted AI and reimported it, but the imposter still doesn't show up.

I also get this error:
    IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range. AmplifyImpostors.Vector2Ex.ReduceVertices(UnityEngine.Vector2[] P, Int32 maxVertices) (at Assets/AmplifyImpostors/Plugins/Scripts/HelperExtensions.cs:286)
    AmplifyImpostors.AmplifyImpostorInspector.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/AmplifyImpostors/Plugins/Editor/Inspector/AmplifyImpostorInspector.cs:1058)
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditor (UnityEditor.Editor[] editors, Int32 editorIndex, Boolean rebuildOptimizedGUIBlock, System.Boolean& showImportedObjectBarNext, UnityEngine.Rect& importedObjectBarRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1375)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility-ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

And another similar one to the above.

/Edit I created an entirely new project and this is still happening. I'm using 2018.2.19f1. I did get a barrel working yesterday, but a building with less than 2000 triangles won't show up at all.

/Re-Edit I found out part of the problem, for some strange reason the imposter is placed at 0,0 on my terrain instead of at the model coordinates, that's why I couldn't see it. If I move it to be with the model, the LOD levels are messed up. The LOD0 will stay visible until I am off the map(4kmx4km), and that's without adjusting the LOD slider.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  25. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Happy to answer them!

1. Comparable to standard texture use in a PBR material, you can define which channels to bake(emission, normal, etc) for additional control, and even the compression used just as with any other texture.

2. It actually reduces draw calls as you can bake multiple objects, or even single objects with multiple materials, into a single impostor; not to mention the instancing support that you get by default.

Unfortunately, we currently do not provide an Amplify Impostors Trial version. Should you be interested, we would be happy to test one of your assets privately(or here if you prefer) via support@amplify.pt; we can really use varied test cases during the BETA period.

Can you replicate the issue every time? We would really appreciate it if you could send us a small sample for further examination as it should work right out of the box in Unity 2018.2.

Thanks!

Willbkool_FPCS likes this.
  26. radiantboy

radiantboy

I agree with @lod3, it would save us all a lot of hassle if you made a trial which watermarks or times out or something. Many of us dont want to be sending our game across to other developers, and at times it would be insane, im topping 300gigs of 7 years personal work on a game that no one has played, I dont want to send it to someone (and it would be huge/hell to extract), nor would it be that feasible without a lot of time. Also with a project this silly you probably would not know where to start and what to choose, and be frankly baffled by the 900k objects in my scene (or coincidentally the 900k files in my project), whereas me personally could go in and do the exact right tests I need, and that would be my time spent not yours. Demo makes sense :))

27. lod3

lod3

Thank you. But it's not about compatibility, but rather usability. Particularly in regards to aesthetics. Have you considered a build, or WebGL demo that shows off Imposters?

28. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Unfortunately, given the open nature of the tool, a trial is not possible at the moment; definitely something to consider post-beta.

I understand, sending a full project would be unpractical for both of us, I meant a specific object as an example.

Of course, it's a courtesy and not intended to replace product evaluation.

A WebGL demo is a strong possibility at a later stage, we're still figuring a few things out during the beta period.

Thanks!

29. Willbkool_FPCS

Willbkool_FPCS

Hi, last night I was able to add imposters for most of my buildings, but not the ones I was having problems with before. The imposter is still showing up off of the map.

Here is the LOD0 where it is supposed to be.

And here is the imposter way far off the map.

As I said, I was able to get other buildings working with imposters. I will send you this building tonight when I get home from work.

30. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

That's an interesting case, any chance of a small sample with the issue present?

I would be great to learn more about your current hierarchy, I'm not sure what could be causing the problem.

31. mangax

mangax

@Amplify_Ricardo i really want to buy this asset once LWRP support added..
    mobiles are the most platform will benefit from this.. as it enables devs to show more scenery on the limited power of mobiles.

32. unyunburst

unyunburst

Lightmap support, is it coming "soon," say, within 2 months? :) Pretty please! Hell, I'll buy 2 copies.

33. Mipmap

Mipmap

I bought it this morning to look into using it as a means for further optimizations on an existing project.

Right off the bat I'm getting conflicts with other scripts:

Assets/Scripts/Misc/TextureScale.cs(6,14): error CS0101:
    The namespace `global::' already contains a definition for `TextureScale'

`TextureScale' does not contain a definition for `Bilinear'

It seems to also result in other installed tools not being usable anymore.

Edit - Someone else appears to have mentioned a similar issue earlier in the thread:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/beta-release-amplify-impostors.539844/page-8#post-3947263

34. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

It's currently being worked on by the developer, we're looking forward to supporting it as well!

We're hoping to support this in the future, no ETA as of yet though!

Hello, the developer is aware of this issue and it will definitely be fixed in the next build, apologies for the inconvenience!

35. TokyoWarfareProject

TokyoWarfareProject

TBH I cant understand what is the big issue supporting lightmaps. Lightmaps are just another texture channel right?! so?! why not just bake em among with the albedo?!!

36. real2u

real2u

Thanks for fixing issues with 2018.3!

Still looking forward to LWRP support

37. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hello, it's not exactly an issue but, as with any other feature / addition to the asset, it requires investigation, planning, implementation and testing, which takes time. Since our tool is currently in Beta stage, we're mostly focusing on performance and bug fixes, but we'll definitely take all feedback into consideration and do our best in regards to implementing requested features as soon as possible.

Thank you for understanding!

No problem, we appreciate that you took the time to report the issues you're having!

TokyoWarfareProject likes this.
  38. sebas77

sebas77

on user generated content, can impostor be baked in run-time?

39. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hello, this will be possible soon, as we're going to add Runtime Impostor generation in the next couple of updates!

40. NUKKschocke

NUKKschocke

So I've only just working with this editor extension after a colleague set it up for the project.
    I noticed that some impostors are 85MB - 350MB in size alone, which kinda defeats the purpose IMO.
    After digging around a bit, I came upon the bake presets which (according to my colleague, I haven't checked) aren't mentioned in the documentation.

I proceeded to adjust the settings and created a preset that should be fine for our project (impostoring large buildings, mostly):
    upload_2018-12-19_12-23-16.png

However. This was the result:
    0002-AmplifyImpostors-01.gif

... which I don't think is the intended behaviour. :D

Before I start deep-diving the documentation, I'd appreciate a few pointers in the right direction.
    edit: Unity2018.2.10f1, Win10 64bit, building for Windows standalone (and later iOS)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  41. xxxgashekxxx

xxxgashekxxx

Hello!

Just started working with this asset, and like the post above, I also notice that the file sizes of the generated impostors are pretty huge, a low poly tree with solid coloring and 800 or so tris is generating a 87MB file.

Is that expected? I'm currently running Unity 2018.3 and I understand you guys probably don't support this version yet Impostors.PNG

42. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Finally got around to implementing this! Intended to use this for plants with Vegetation Studio.

WorldBuilding_720p_(2018-12-20_10-03-33).jpg

Though all the setup and finetuning, I can't help but wonder if it's possible to add cylindrical impostors in the future? Any plants I have will only ever be viewed from the top at LOD0, certainly never from the bottom. I assume omitting the top and bottom renders would yield a higher resolution for the side-views. Thoughts? :)

marcatore likes this.
  43. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify Impostors generates standard textures, in your case PNG files, that sounds like the expected size for this type of format and size. We don't do any type of custom texture compression, it's entirely up to you what to use just as with any other material.

I recommend checking the available Unity Texture Compression information in order to identify the solution that best fits your requirements.

As for the second issue, I think we'll have to examine it on our side. Please forward us a small sample of that building to support@amplify.pt, impostor and original, with the problem present.

Hey there!

That's expect, we don't apply any type of custom compression to the generated textures. You'll have to set the required compression options as you would with any other texture in your project.

Great to see it in action!

We've actually been discussing adding additional baking options, definitely stay tuned for future updates as we don't have any specific details to share at the moment.

Thanks!

44. reggie_sgs

reggie_sgs

We just bought this for use in a PS4 VR game. After putting some imposters in the scene and trying things out, we built for the PS4 and started having some really bizarre rendering issues and hard crashes of the game. We deleted the package but are still having crashes related to the rendering thread.

There were some other changes that happened before this build was made so it's possible it's related to something else but the game has been very stable for a while and these sorts of crashes are very rare. Is it possible that installing AI changes any of the default shaders or project settings so that just deleting the asset would not completely revert things?

45. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Hi Amplify!

I'm interested in trying this out, but a bit worried about a few things and I hope you can help...

1. Need HDRP support, lit node is in 2018.3 and I'd like to use shader graph to tweak it... such as how the fade out over distance, scale etc...

2. Is cutout supported? Kind of want to reduce overdraw as well.

3. Want to render lots of grass only using this but do you use DrawMeshInstancedIndirect? When I say a lot, I mean the kind of numbers that make your hair stand on end hence DMII plus we don't have a lot of CPU to spare.

4. I want to bend grass but rotating impostors in shader from base is also a nice compromise if possible via graph / being able to rotate from the base of the quad/mesh not the center...

5. Want to make impostors that also have other properties like density for effects etc, so how tweakable is all this? Could I capture a dense particle system frozen in time for example or something with multiple transparent cards? While my main use would be for vegetation, & destruction bits I'm not against using it here and there for effects too.

6. Works well with Unity's mip streaming?

46. reggie_sgs

reggie_sgs

Ok, it turns out it wasn't Amplify Imposters, it's actually the latest version of Amplify Occlusion that's causing weird distortion, corruption, and eventually a hard crash on the PS4. I'll post over on the AO page for assistance.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  47. mmvlad

mmvlad

Does your plugin work on GL ES 2.0 devices?

48. GCat

GCat

I would buy it right now if it supported LWRP

49. wilgieseler

wilgieseler

I just purchased this on sale and in 2018.3.0f2 all the impostors bake to flat white. Is there a fix for that?

Hazkin likes this.
  50. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

That's an odd one, AI does not alter anything, it's mostly shader work - removing the folder would completely remove it from your project. Any files kept around by version control? Not sure what to recommend in this particular case, we have Amplify Impostors in our own game and it works just as expected on PS4.

Hey there, thank you for your interest!

1. HD and Lightweight SRP support will be available soon, along with 2018.3 support.

2. Yes, impostors are cutouts; our custom Billboard Mesh can definitely help there.

3. I don't believe we do but are looking into getting it to play well with the GPU Instancer package.

4. Rotation and translations are supported.

5. I'm afraid particles are not supported, since Impostors are Cutout I'm not sure it would work for this case. Can you provide an example?

6. As far as we know, yes it does.

Be sure to let me know if you have any additional questions, we would be happy to elaborate.

Good to know, that narrows it down, we'll discuss it there.

While it should work, we can't guarantee that it universally supports 2.0 given possible extension differences depending on the hardware used.

Happy to hear it, we're not too far off!

Apologies for the inconvenience but 2018.3 is not supported yet, we're going to update AI asap.

Thanks!