Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

[BETA RELEASE] Amplify Impostors

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Amplify_Ricardo, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Thank you for your support!

Apologies for the delay on that one, we're actively working on real-time impostor support. We don't have a current ETA on SDF support.

We would appreciate some additional details on what you're using so that we can replicate the problem on our side; a simple sample would be ideal.

2. GuitarBro

GuitarBro

Gotcha, good to know. Hope it doesn't take too long. :)

Amplify_Ricardo likes this.
  3. Poiytr

Poiytr

1. Create new project (in my case it was on version 2019.3.0f1)
    2. Install URP following this guide:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...versal@7.1/manual/InstallURPIntoAProject.html
    3. Install Amplify Impostors
    4. Install ImpostorsURP package
    5. Change StandardURP presets so it won't generate Emission & Occlusion textures
    6. Create any object, add impostor component to it, and generate impostor
    7. Put impostor next to original object so you can easily compare it
    8. Go to lighting settings and change lighting to gradient lighting
    9. Observe how impostor without Emission & Occlusion texture isn't affected by gradient lighting colors are being changed

Result:
    upload_2020-2-6_10-5-56.png

10. Change Emission & Occulusion texture to black, and observe how it works more properly:

upload_2020-2-6_10-7-22.png

Well, it's noticable darker, but at least it's somehow affected by lighting.

4. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

Thank you for the additional details! I was able to replicate the issue on new impostors; seems to not affect existing ones if you update them after changing the bake preset. I'm not entirely sure what could be causing the problem but the Amplify Impostors developer will be back next week; we'll reach out to you then.

Thank you for your patience, we really appreciate it!

5. Amplify_Paulo

Amplify_Paulo

Hi Poiytr

About your issue, that happens because indirect lit objects require an ambient occlusion value of 1, by telling it to not render the Occlusion texture you are only replacing the texture by the value 0. There's two possible solutions to that, you can either create a custom impostor rendering shader using ASE where you remove the occlusion entirely and replace it with a constant value of 1 or you can simply create a 1x1 texture that has black in it's texture and an alpha of 1 (since it's the alpha that contains the occlusion value)

If you are interested in creating the custom shader we have a guide here: http://wiki.amplify.pt/index.php?title=Unity_Products:Amplify_Impostors/Custom_Baking more specifically the "runtime shader" part of the guide.

cheers

6. Abruzzi

Abruzzi

Hi! I've just updated HDRP to 7.2.0 and impostors has problem.

It doesn't work with light, but if you turn light button in scene view it works!
    upload_2020-2-12_17-14-32.png

upload_2020-2-12_17-14-55.png

I Use Unity 2019.3.0.f6 + HDRP 7.2.0 + Amplify Impostors v0.9.6 rev003
    All works fine before.

You can easily reproduce it. Create empty project with HDRP, Update HDRP to 7.2.0, install and tune AmpImp for HDRP, load Example scene!

Thanks in advance!

7. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

Thanks for the heads-up!

We're aware of possible issues, we should be able to put out a few fixes soon.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

8. fuzzy3d

fuzzy3d

Hi, your impostors are a very interesting technology how to optimize 3D graphics and add details , I bought and tested them successfully yesterday (standalone PC HDRP build). Q: Will it be possible to support HDRP with VR enabled in the future?

9. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

Hard to say at the moment, as we've not tested it yet, but we'll definitely check it out.

Thanks!

10. Rich_A

Rich_A

I can see from your docs you support HemiOctahedron, but what about limiting the number of angles even further? In many topdown games, particularly those with non-rotatable cameras, objects are only viewed from a very limited number of angles, and in extreme cases just one angle with the only camera movement being from screenshake:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    MNNoxMortem likes this.
  11. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

You can already define the amount xy views when baking spherical impostors, but we do plan to offer additional baking control in future versions.

Rich_A likes this.
  12. Werti100

Werti100

I baked an imposter but all the textures came out black! I gave the LOD0 for the reference, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Thanks in advance!
    Edit: I think I've had this problem in the past, usually happens when I manually created the lod group.
    upload_2020-2-19_16-40-54.png

13. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

It could be a versioning issue, what's your current Unity and SRP version used? Any errors or warnings in the console?

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  14. Werti100

Werti100

Hello! we are currently on 2019.2.19 and use the built in pipeline. Only 1 error appears in the console when I do it, It's about hitting the maximum number of keywords for global shaders, but I do think that's unrelated, I've had this imposter issue in the past when we weren't having this error...

15. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Odd, not sure if this is strictly related to Amplify Impostors. Were they ever working or do you get the Keyword warning immediately after baking?

16. rosssssss

rosssssss

Hello, just downloaded this asset and it seems really cool. I'm not quite clear how the imposters interact with light baking etc.
    Basically i have a scene with a load of trees in, static objects - that are currently using material instancing (a simple opaque shader.)
    replacing them with Imposters - cuts down tris massively (2.6 million to 18k) but actually decreases framerate (20fps to 10fps)...
    there is a real time light in the scene - i'd like to bake it, but like i said not sure how that works with imposters.
    The other thing is that it's VR (Android) - and the player's head is actually completely static - is there some optimisation that could take advantage of that... i.e. there's no need to keep updating the imposters based on player position etc...?
    Thanks!

17. Werti100

Werti100

Yeah the plugin works, but only if my Mesh has a LOD0 and at least a LOD1. I can't just create the LOD1 using the imposter, I need to have a mesh LOD1 already there made by me. You can give this a shot and see if it works for you: manually creating a lod group for a high poly mesh with no LODS, then trying to bake an imposter for it to replace the second lod in the lod group. It doesn't work for me.. (not sure if that made complete sense)
    upload_2020-2-21_10-45-38.png

This is annoying because I don't want my prefabs to have mesh objects disabled and sitting there for no reason.

Also yes, I do get the keyword error after baking. Although I was having this problem in the past before we were getting this error.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  18. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello there, thanks for using it!

We would need additional details to determine what's happening there, we'd expect to see and increase in performance. However, there are cases where the impostor shader might be more complex than the original asset; we would appreciate any details possible, or even a sample project(small) via support@amplify.pt. Amplify Impostors is still in beta, we're looking for any improvements we can make.

Baked lighting would not work as you expect here, you'd have the same information repeated on all impostors. You can read more about the subject in the official Wiki page.

That's not the expected behavior, you should be able to create it without adding the LOD1 manually before baking.

Are you Inserting it after the LOD0? The default is "Replace Last"

upload_2020-2-24_11-24-47.png

19. ElevenGame

ElevenGame

Hello there,
    I just wanted to say, that I have the same issue Abruzzi mentioned above with the lighting in hdrp 7+.
    I am looking forward to possible solutions, even a description how to change the shader by hand would be very much appreciated. :D

20. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Sorry about that, best to wait for our update; we will update it soon.

21. apapineni_unity

apapineni_unity

Hi. I just wanted to know if these imposters have any impact on load time of scenes? Or do they just help with performance?

22. ElevenGame

ElevenGame

I guess they have the same kind of impact a regular object has. The main impact on load time is, that it's textures have to be loaded. I guess if one had an imposter for every unique object in a level, then it would be roughly twice the memory, of course always depending on the texture resolution that is used..

23. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

I suppose they could help reduce them given that an impostor uses a single simplified mesh and a single PBR material by default.

It will vary depending on the original asset; could be an improvement.

24. RiccardoAxed

RiccardoAxed

Hi, I'm rather sure it has already answered but I would ask you if impostors support GI lightmaps bake.

25. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Baked lighting does work in specific cases, but you'd have the same information repeated on all impostors. There's a few things you should consider, you can read more about the subject in the official Wiki page.

RiccardoAxed likes this.
  26. Rich_A

Rich_A

I ran some tests on some background environments:

Objects at close range that were perfectly in front of and aligned to the camera (ie. no visible angles), such as shelves placed in front of a wall (behind the weapon board), looked decent, good enough for mobile/Switch, even at ranges about 10m from the camera and when the camera was panning left and right.

But the ability to precisely specify the view bake angles, X+Y+Z, would still be essential for close-range objects. I think there are a lot of Unity Strategy-type games with 3D objects viewed at very limited positions. You want a high number of axes, but limited to a specific overall angle.

A 'half-hemi-octahedron' (not sure of the exact term!) could also work, as long as you could specify which way was 'forward'

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    neoshaman likes this.
  27. hurleybird

hurleybird

Just want to check, can this generate importers at run-time yet?

28. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

I agree it would be nice to be able to specify a hemisphere that's not locked to up so that increased resolution could be gained from it. Seems like a trivial fix if it's not in already.

29. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey there!

Good to know it worked out well. Impostors are not meant to be seen from a close distance but, with some tweaking, you can probably get away with a few things.

In terms of additional control, we do plan to expand on those options later on. Right now, you can somewhat force direction by adjusting the pivot of the parent object; and use Spherical impostors, which allow you to define the amount of frames per-axis.

Sorry, not yet, we're still working on it.

30. Little_Gorilla

Little_Gorilla

Hey Amplify Team, wondering if the Amplify Imposter script is stripped in builds or if the use case is to add the script, make the imposter, remove the script?
    Trying to optimize the prefabs as there will be many in a scene.
    upload_2020-3-11_8-49-40.png

And just a little UI issue, maybe the last column should expand as I ca't see the text.
    upload_2020-3-11_8-52-33.png

Side note, the Imposters are helping to optimize my game by getting the draw calls and vertex count down so much, thank you!

31. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello there,

It's an editor script so it shouldn't be an issue, you can even remove it after creating the impostor; I would not recommend it, just in case you might need to go back and adjust the impostor.

Good point on the UI, we'll keep that in mind!

Little_Gorilla likes this.
  32. Werti100

Werti100

Alright! So after some testing it seems that a reference mesh using a shader containing CUSTOM LIGHTING will break the bake. I haven't done more vigorous testing though. All I know is that the shader has custom lighting and stuff connected to the custom lighting input in the master node.

33. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Apologies for the inconvenience but AI standard baking baking is only supported if the shader exposes a Deferred path, such as Unity Standard shaders. However, the Impostors created can be used in both Forward and Deferred modes; Custom Lighting is forward only.

If you're comfortable with shader development, and you use Amplify Shader Editor, I would recommend looking into Custom Baking for a possible alternative.

Werti100 likes this.
  34. Amplify_Paulo

Amplify_Paulo

Hi all!

New version live in the store! Sorry for the delay on this one but I've been swamped with work and updating impostors to work correctly with HDRP as proven to be a difficult task. Also even after finishing it the new version of HDRP already broke it, but didn't want to delay this release even further so here it is. It works until version 7.1.8, support for 7.2.x and up comes next.

cheers

Amplify Impostors 0.9.7 - Asset Store - Amplify Products

Improvements
    • Added support to the remaining material types of HDRP (Anisotropy, Iridescence, Translucent)
    • You can now bake more than one material type to the same impostor in HDRP (ie: bark being Standard and leaves being Translucent)
    • Now bake progress windows displays the current stage of the baking process
    • Added EXR file format support
    • Improved impostors code to make sure it can exit early if not being rendered
    Fixes
    • Fixed issue with impostors failing to compile with MSAA turned ON in HDRP
    • Fixed issue with mismatch LOD crossfade effect in more recent HDRP versions
    • Fixed issue with motion vectors not rendering correcly in HDRP and breaking Indirect Instancing
    • Fixed issue with instancing in one of the shader passes for HDRP
    • Fixed issue with impostors not compiling in PS4

ElevenGame likes this.
  35. Werti100

Werti100

Ahhh sorry for my mistake. I would suggest putting some kind of warning messages so people like me don't waste time trying to figure out what appears like a bug with the plugin
    Thanks!

36. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

Apologies for the inconvenience, we do mention it in the product description and wiki but we don't refer to custom lighting shaders specifically, we'll adjust the text.

Thanks!

Werti100 likes this.
  37. rcazzy

rcazzy

Hello! A friend has recently purchased Impostors for a project, and when he tries to create the impostor, his textures appear like this,

He is not experienced with regards to shaders and rendering, and I've tried using TeamViewer to create custom baking presets for him, and the results are always lackluster. The objects he is trying to bake all use the Standard Unity Shader.
    Do you have any advice on how to proceed?

38. olidadda

olidadda

I've written an email, but I'll add a comment here in case anyone else is having the same problem: I just purchased Impostors and on Unity 2018 and 2019 versions can't seem to bake without the impostor remaining invisible: it doesn't seem to be generating the maps. I'm using the built-in RP and I've tried on lots of projects: nada.

39. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

That's odd, if he's using the Standard Shader you shouldn't even need a custom baking preset. Can you send us one of the problematic assets so that we can debug it on our side? (model, textures, material)

If sharing here is not an option, we're available privately via support@amplify.pt

Can you first try baking PNG textures instead of TGA? We've actually accidentally introduced a new bug on the latest update, we're working right now to fix that ASAP.

Thanks!

Hey there,

Let's try to keep one line of communication, else it gets a bit messy as we have multiple people checking different points of contact.

Please show us what you get after baking a model with Standard Unity Material(screenshot, including impostor material), you might be experiencing the same issue as the user above.

Thanks!

40. olidadda

olidadda

Here we go: did it in a really basic scene just to be sure it wasn't my project. This is on 2018.4, but the exact same thing happens on 2019.3.
    Screenshot (57).png Screenshot (59).png

View attachment 585610

41. olidadda

olidadda

Oh wow, just discovered if I change bake preset and switch to PNG it works!

42. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

That's it then, it's related to our TGA bug. We will correct this ASAP, apologies for the inconvenience.

43. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

@olidadda @rcazzy We just corrected the problem, please download the latest version from our website or the Asset Store.

Amplify Impostors 0.9.7 - Asset Store - Amplify Products

Improvements
    • Added support for HDRP 7.2.X and up (re-baking may be needed in some cases)
    • Added RLE compression to TGA for smaller file sizes
    Fixes
    • Fixed issue with images saved being broken while using TGA format
    • Fixed issue prevent save due to missing files
    • Fixed issue with motion vectors in older versions of HDRP

We expedited this update due to the recent issues so it's still missing the Custom Baking HDRP templates for ASE.

44. ElevenGame

ElevenGame

Thanks for the latest update, now the imposters work with my project again. :)

Amplify_Ricardo likes this.
  45. GoldFireStudios

GoldFireStudios

I'm not sure what is going on, but I'm seeing very strange results when applying the imposters. I tested it on just a simple stylized rock, and as you can see in the below video, the results aren't quite as expected. This is using the octahedron bake type at 4096 (results were even more strange at 2048) and all default settings. Any ideas about what might be going wrong?

46. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

Seems to be working as intended, Octahedron impostors provide smooth blending between views but breakdown at closer distances, spherical impostors hold-up slightly better but do not provide smooth blending; whichever the case, Impostors are meant to be seen from afar.

Do you see the same artifacts from farther away?

47. AntLewis

AntLewis

Hey there, just having a look at this package. Couple of questions - I'm assuming it'll work on mobile? And I'm assuming it'll work with rendering lots of foliage? Cheers

48. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Thanks for checking it out!

Yes, works on mobile and with vegetation; just be sure to use a compatible shader.

49. GoldFireStudios

GoldFireStudios

Ah, no it looks better from further away. I assumed the "breakdown at closer distance" was just referring to the texture quality. I do still see some of the odd pixels floating off of the rock at a far distance, though much less noticeable. Is that just an indicator that we've got some issues with our models?

50. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Yeah, the technique breaks down. Do you see the same problem with Spherical impostors? Please show us at what distance you're checking them with the Octahedron impostor.

As mentioned in our wiki: http://wiki.amplify.pt/index.php?title=Unity_Products:Amplify_Impostors/Manual#FAQ

A: This issue rarely happens because it's dependent on the original object shape. Those artifacts are actually the neighboring frames peeking through, in order to remove it you can't try to adjust the mesh to more tightly fit the object. If that still doesn't help, you can activate a shader define that removes it at a cost of a few extra instructions:

1. Search and open for the AmplifyImpostorsConfig.cginc file.
    2. At the top find the #define AI_CLIP_NEIGHBOURS_FRAMES 0 entry and activate it by changing it to #define AI_CLIP_NEIGHBOURS_FRAMES 1 and saving.

Let me know if that helps, we would be happy to test it if not.

unityunity