Search Unity

Amplify Impostors - Next Generation Billboards

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Amplify_Ricardo, Jul 10, 2018.

1. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

2. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

3. Poiytr

Poiytr

Greetings.

I am using URP and Unity 2019.3.0f1. I've noticed your shader doesn't work with with gradient environment lighting. Here is a screen comparing skybox lighting with gradient lighting:

upload_2019-12-16_13-4-13.png

4. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Are you using the latest version? We will have to run a few tests when we return, apologies for the inconvenience.

5. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Greetings everyone!

It's that time of the year where we all take some time off to be with our loved ones and recharge our batteries. We're usually around, more or less, but this year we've decided to officially shutdown until the 2nd of January. We apologize for any inconvenience caused but rest assured that we will be back on the 3rd at full force.

Please submit support requests directly to support@amplify.pt so that we can go through them when we return, we wont be able to monitor the Discord channel and official Unity Forum threads during December.

Happy holidays!

JBR-games and laurentlavigne like this.
  6. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

See you next year and thanks again for this solid release.

Amplify_Ricardo likes this.
  7. Poiytr

Poiytr

I am using v0.9.6 rev003

8. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Impostors are not selectable in the scene view. Any way that you can make them selectable?

9. RetroFlight

RetroFlight

Hello! I am trying to make an Oculus Quest (VR) flight sim and want full forests. I am using Amplify Imposters for my trees but can't get them to work in a way I am happy with. I have meshes of several hundred trees that I have several LOD levels, finally with an Imposter as the final LOD. In Unity they are amazing - reduce 300,000 triangles to 30,000, and they look great. However when I am in VR they load strange - they look out of shape, sink into the ground if I have any height. I have tried circular, hemi, oct and hemi, none seem to get the desired result. Do you have any ideas? Do they work in VR? Thanks very much - I really hope I can get these working in the editor they are amazing!

Edit: It might be an issue with large meshes - still trying to figure it out.
    Edit2: Large meshes don't seem to work. Also, all small and large imposters sink into the terrain, or into the mesh they are on, when the camera (player) goes above them, like flying over them in the flight sim.
    Edit3: They seem to be very unmanageable for mobile - any chance on a mobile shader?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  10. Iman_col

Iman_col

How do I work this with LWRP?

11. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

That's odd, I just tested it and it seems to be working. Does updating the lighting have no effect at all? Please confirm that you are using the later URP version available.

They are but Unity is a bit finicky, not sure if there's anything we can do to improve it at this time.

You could be hitting one of the limitations of this technique, we could really use some additional details in order to best debug the problem. We would appreciate a few screenshots with your rendering distance, sinking impostors, and other related issues.

AI works with larger meshes, it will ultimately depend on the actual mesh, bake parameters, and render distance.

You can disable unwanted channels for mobile impostors, we currently do not provide additional shaders other than what you can create with ASE for custom baking/runtime requirements.

The same way as it does with the built-in renderer, you simply need to import the required SRP package and make sure that your impostor is baked using the correct preset.

Iman_col and laurentlavigne like this.
  12. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Rectangle selection works, not click selection. They're not back facing though...

13. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

On which Unity version? I did test it yesterday, it worked with click selection but it is finicky.

14. Deleted User

Deleted User

Imposters is not working for some reason. I Just get pink. 2019.3.0f1 (Can't change this.. studio-wide lockdown) URP in a brand new project. Ideas?

15. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey there!

I recommend updating your package, if you have not already. Try re-importing the URP package located under "AmplifyImpostors\Plugins\EditorResources\RenderPipelinePackages", and be sure that you are using the latest URP.

Does our URP sample render correctly?

Let us know if it helps.

16. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

2019.3f3
    So when you said finicky I tried and tried and tried clicking everywhere, it never click selects so it's 100% repro (good news)

17. nt3dcompany

nt3dcompany

it is magic , extremely useful for trees , good job , i bought it

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    laurentlavigne likes this.
  18. nt3dcompany

nt3dcompany

i can bake texture , reduce polygon , but tree polygons is my headache , you solve my problem , i can make large exterior scene now

19. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

It's reproducible but, as I mentioned, not sure there's anything we can currently do given the way Unity is handling selections; it simply ignores vertices transforms as it stands so you'll have to manage to click the actual quad, which remains static without billboarding, to select it in the scene view.

Not ideal so we will definitely keep an eye out for possible workarounds.

Awesome, happy to hear it was useful!

20. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

so if i understand impostor shader changes the geometry and unity can't detect selection with those new vertex positions. i tried clicking in the center which should work but didn't. is it because the shader is also orienting the quad to the camera and in this case it's fading away?

21. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

No, the quad is not billboarded. Can you send me a shot of the Impostors? (wireframe selection visible)

22. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

upload_2020-1-9_11-29-5.png

23. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Thanks!

Not sure what could be happening there, we would have to try it out but, sadly, there's really not much we can do at the moment.

24. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

25. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

26. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Yours looks perfect as click selection works
    mine, click selection doesn't work at all
    see this new 2019.3f5 project, one cube impostorized, with the latest Version0.9.6.003

27. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Mixed results for me, I can select the cube but not a barrel impostor in the last test; drag-select did work as an alternative. Best to wait for any possible improvements at this stage, apologies for the inconvenience.

28. fpce

fpce

Hello Ricardo, let me first say this tool looks really promising and is quite impressive.
    We have however a question regarding functionality, will there ever be the possibility to use these impostors with a limited angle of view? We'd love to be able to use Amplify Impostors for background elements as that would give us a whole lot of freedom, but in our case, rendering the billboards from all angles just ends up wasting a whole lot of texture space. So I was hoping you could say there will be a way to use these impostors with a setting allowing to define how far from forward-facing the bake (and shader) view angle can be... Or if there was an easy enough set of changes we could make to achieve that result?

29. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

Thanks for checking it out!

Amplify Impostors is currently meant to be used specifically for baking multiple views of your assets. We do provide HemiOctahedron impostors, but not regular billboards. I would recommend using the spherical type with the lowest number of views possible for now.

We do plan to improve how bakes are controlled but I don't have any official details at the moment. We're still in beta, so definitely stick around for incoming updates as we still have a lot planned for this solution.

Thanks!

30. FloBeber

FloBeber

Hi guys,

I recently purchased Amplify Impostors and it looks really promising, but I'm unable to bake Albeda RGB colors. I get plain black while Alpha is OK.

I'm using Unity 2019.30f5 + URP 7.1.7 and a custom ShaderGraph Unlit shader.

Screenshot_2.png

Screenshot_3.png

Screenshot_4.png

I tried using the defaut URP Lit shader and it works quite well.

Screenshot_5.png

Screenshot_6.png

What am I doing wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    drzepsuj likes this.
  31. Dobalina

Dobalina

I have a question regarding the specular values circled red in this screenshot. I generated this octahedron imposter and noticed it has a strong highlight when back lit by a directional light, which breaks the illusion between LODs. I've tried adjusting the spec/smoothness and shadow view value.... though I can't tone down this highlight. I'm using the built-in pipeline/2018.3.8 Any suggestions?
    upload_2020-1-19_3-11-51.png

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  32. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello, thank you for your support!

I suspect that the shader used(Toon Free) does not expose a Deferred Path,such as Standard Unity Shaders, which is currently a requirement for baking. The Impostors created can be used in both Forward and Deferred modes. If the original mesh has a custom forward-only shader like many assets from the asset store do, you'll need to bake it using a custom baking shader.

Is the toon shader from a Unity sample? We would be happy to confirm it on our side.

I can't quite tell from the screenshot as octahedron impostors breakdown at closer distances, would it be possible to test or see a higher resolution impostor and a comparison with the spherical variant? Would be great if we could examine it just to be sure it's working as expected.

Thanks!

FloBeber likes this.
  33. FloBeber

FloBeber

@Amplify_Ricardo Thanks for the quick reply.

The shader I use is a custom ShaderGraph network I created from scratch.
    Any chance you have a tutorial about creating the baking shader with ShaderGraph?

34. Poiytr

Poiytr

I am using Universal RP v7.1.6

Some comparisons between "Amplify Impostors/Octahedron Impostor URP" (left ones) and "Universal Renderer Pipeline/Simple Lit" (right ones):
    Impostor Comparision.jpg

As you can see impostor completly ignores my Environment Lighting settings.

MinoanStudios likes this.
  35. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

The process should be similar but you'll still need Amplify Shader Editor if you need to create a runtime Impostor shader; do you have access to ASE?

From our tests it seems to be working. I recommend upgrading to the latest Unity 2019.3 version and using the latest URP package(7.1.7). Are you constrained to that specific Unity version?

Thanks!

36. OliverVSmith

OliverVSmith

We’re really excited about Imposters as they’re helping solve our tree rendering problem (City Builder game).
    We’re currently rendering our trees using Graphics.DrawMeshInstanced and handling LOD’ing and a variety of other things in there.

Tried dropping in our generated imposters as our LOD 2/3’s to reduce our Tri draw count but we’re getting some strange artifacting and was wondering if this had been encountered and whether using DrawMeshInstanced is a supported use case?

8EC66005-84E0-46A6-997F-3041F7DD9003.jpeg D990FB89-2EFD-4B89-89E4-ADF0F29CF7AB.jpeg

37. Poiytr

Poiytr

After upgrading URP to 7.1.7 it still doesn't work properly with gradient lighting.

38. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

We could really use some additional details regarding your project. Which rendering system are you currently using?

A sample would be ideal, this would speedup the debug process on our side. It could be related to HDRP bakes using multi-materials with different surface types but we can't know for sure without further testing/information.

I think we need to dig deeper into this one. Please send us a full project with just that prefab and Amplify Impostors using the latest URP, with a comparison side by side between the model and impostor.

Please use WeTransfer or a similar service to send it directly to support@amplify.pt.

Thanks!

39. OliverVSmith

OliverVSmith

Hi sorry, wrote at the end of a long day and forgot the additional details.

We're in Unity 2019.3.0f5 and using HDRP 7.1.7
    The Trees are all 1 Mesh 1 Material (The Material itself uses a shader created in Shader Editor).
    As for the rendering, we are calling where the first parameter is the relevant Mesh (Switching between LOD levels), second is Submesh 0 (as we always only have 1 Submesh), the relevant Material to LOD level (this really only matters when using the Imposter as the others use the same texture), the Matrix array of our trees including rotations
    Code (CSharp):
    1.  Graphics.DrawMeshInstanced(relevantLODMesh, 0, relevantLODMaterial, matrixArray, numberOfMatricesToRender, nullMaterialPropertyBlock, UnityEngine.Rendering.ShadowCastingMode.Off, false);
    I've uploaded our tree assets (with our Imposters). If you need any info, just let me know.
    https://we.tl/t-4ApAFzCey4

40. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Thank you for the sample, we really appreciate it.

Unfortunately, the AI developer has to be away for 2 weeks; support will return to normal as soon as possible.

Our apologies for the inconvenience.

41. Rodmanix

Rodmanix

Do you know of any reason that the leaves on trees would not be displayed? When I bake a speedtree, it only draws the trunk.

42. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

same here

43. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Which shader do you use for the leaves?
    What's the current renderer and Unity version?

Thanks!

44. naelstrof

naelstrof

In HDRP, having an HDRP impostor visible in a planar reflection probe causes NaN's to propagate. (Here I have Stop NaN Propagation enabled on the camera to see anything, usually the screen just turns black.)

I've tried both Spherical, and the Hemi Octahedron modes. I'm guessing the flipped camera matrix causes a divide by zero or similar.
    Here's a video of the problem as well: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/563793061939904512/672676623014821888/j1IiDSsX9P.mp4

45. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Made a few tests and it seems to be working as expect. As I mentioned in your Discord Sample, we need to know the exact versions used, a sample would help us debug any possible, issues.

Thanks!

46. Cascho01

Cascho01

Possible to try a demo before purchasing?

47. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

get outta here, just buy it, it's excellent

Amplify_Ricardo likes this.
  48. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey there!

Not at the moment but be sure to reach out to support@amplify.pt if you have model you would like to test.

49. GuitarBro

GuitarBro

Hi, I purchased Amplify Impostors quite a while ago now (and it's been great), but I was wondering what the timeline was for SDF alphas? I know it's on the roadmap, but I'd love to get my hands on it as soon as I can so I figured I'd ask. ;)

50. Poiytr

Poiytr

I've figured out this is not working properly when Emission & Occlusion texture in material is set to null. It's weird, because default texture is set to black, and it works properly when I attach black texture to it manually.