Search Unity

[BETA RELEASE] Amplify Impostors

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Amplify_Ricardo, Jul 10, 2018.

1. meichen8050753

meichen8050753

can Amplify Impostors suport forward renderpath backing ? I'm developing in moble game, Impostors is import for me, but shaders used in project almost only support forward rendering.

paulbettner likes this.
  2. Amplify_Paulo

Amplify_Paulo

No and yes. What I mean is, the default baking uses the deferred rendering path to bake the impostors and then either uses deferred or forward to render them. However, you can create a custom baking shader using ASE (Amplify Shader Editor) that renders your forward shader as you wish. So if you are using the default unity shaders you are probably fine since they have both forward and deferred versions. And if you are using a surface shader that was either created by hand or using a shader editor you most likely are fine as well since surface shaders generate both forward and deferred versions unless stated otherwise. The real issue arises when you use a custom forward only shader (typically a vertex/frag shader written by hand or a custom lighting shader) and for those cases you need to create the corresponding baking shader that tells the baker what is going to be baked and how.

You can check a more detailed explanation here (includes tutorial): http://wiki.amplify.pt/index.php?title=Unity_Products:Amplify_Impostors/Custom_Baking

3. ronjart

ronjart

Runtime baking can't come soon enough... ;)

knup_ likes this.
  4. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Sorry, super overloaded...but not forgotten!

cashtrevor and knup_ like this.
  5. knup_

knup_

Given this is open source, what are the blockers to make this perform at runtime? What are the Editor dependent functions?

6. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

It does include full source but it requires a specific implementation; it's an actual runtime generation that allows for animated impostors, it does not create static impostors as it currently does in the editor.

Thanks!

7. gecko

gecko

I'm trying to rebake some imposters I set up some months ago, but they don't work now -- no errors, but the imposter is solid red. On the Amplify Imposter component on the mesh, the Billboard Mesh is blank white with "Update" button. Clicking that changes it to an octagonal shape, but doesn't fix the problem. The imposter mesh is also about half the size of the mesh. I've updated to the latest version on the Asset Store, no help. Using 2018.3.11 on Mac. Any idea what's going wrong?

Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 2.07.29 PM.png

8. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey there, did you happen to have also changed Unity or Rendering Pipeline version?
    Is the problem also present with new impostor bakes?
    Please share a small asset sample for further examination.

Thanks!

9. gecko

gecko

I was probably using 2018.2 initially, now on 2018.3. Have not changed rendering pipeline.

I deleted the old imposter files for this object, and when I try to make a new imposter, I get this error, and no imposter is created in the scene. The textures appear if I click in the project pane, but again the albedo texture is all red, and I presume the others are messed up as well.

EDIT: Oh, it is creating the imposter in the scene (I had assigned the LOD Group so thought it would put the imposter in there, not at the bottom of the hierarchy.) But it's pink, no material assigned.

[AmplifyImpostors] Something went wrong with the baking process, please contact support@amplify.pt with this log message.
    Object reference not set to an instance of an object at AmplifyImpostors.AmplifyImpostor.RenderAllDeferredGroups (AmplifyImpostors.AmplifyImpostorAsset data) [0x014c2] in C:\Users\.....\Assets\AssetStore Tools\AmplifyImpostors\Plugins\Scripts\AmplifyImpostor.cs:1130
    at AmplifyImpostors.AmplifyImpostorInspector.DelayedBake () [0x00002] in C:\Users\.....\Assets\AssetStore Tools\AmplifyImpostors\Plugins\Editor\Inspector\AmplifyImpostorInspector.cs:971
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object)
    AmplifyImpostors.AmplifyImpostorInspector:DelayedBake() (at Assets/AssetStore Tools/AmplifyImpostors/Plugins/Editor/Inspector/AmplifyImpostorInspector.cs:976)
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallDelayFunctions()

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    Willbkool_FPCS likes this.
  10. Willbkool_FPCS

Willbkool_FPCS

I've been getting the same errors as Gecko. It makes the imposter at the bottom of the hierarchy, and the same error message.

I'm using the latest 2018.4 version.

11. Amplify_Paulo

Amplify_Paulo

Thx for the reports and the logs, I'll look into it asap.

Edit: I just looked at the error and I don't see anything wrong and everything is working fine here. I would need your sample in order to reproduce it and the steps taken. When you say you deleted the old impostor files, what do you mean by that? just the images? the asset file? the prefab? Also, were you editing in prefab mode?

Please considering sending us a sample and a detailed description on how to reproduce so I can find the bug.

Thank you in advance and sorry for the inconvenience.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  12. gecko

gecko

I figured it out, at least on my end: I've got MicroSplat on my terrains, and MS Terrain Blending set up on these objects. I removed that componentand the second material it assigns to the mesh, and now I can create imposters again. (Still can't update them, have to delete and start over, but it'll do.)

13. sekever-n00b

sekever-n00b

HI,
    Would the anti aliasing (like SSAA) operation mess to much on impostors for backing, for visual goal ?
    Would it be possible to instead make a one 8k max atlas texture for one impostor, in to few more 8k atlas textures and use array textures system ?

14. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Strange, we would be happy to test a sample on our side for the second problem.

Can you elaborate what you mean regarding anti aliasing use?

Texture arrays are not ideal for this technique, do you have a specific use in mind?

15. sekever-n00b

sekever-n00b

Can I send you my 3d model and start from there? Can I send it through here info@amplify.pt ?

16. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey there,

We would be happy to assist, please do elaborate on what the problem is exactly.

You can get in touch at support@amplify.pt.

Thanks!

17. yrucrem

yrucrem

Hello there!

I'm having trouble with creating impostors for objects placed by Gaia, and was hoping that someone could point me in the right direction (or tell me what I might be doing wrong).

When I create a simple terrain with Gaia and try to create an impostor for one of the buildings placed by it (for example one of the small farm buildings), the impostor is displaced quite a bit (usually to low), and what's worse is only a magenta blob.

I had no trouble with impostors, when I tried them in the Viking Village Demo, and I do exactly the same things to create impostors.

Any hints or ideas about this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
    Patrick

18. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey Patrick, thanks for reaching out.

We don't have a lot of experience with Gaia object placement so we're not the best people help. However, we can assist in making sure Amplify Impostors is working as expected.

The fact that it's turning magenta is a bit worrying. Is the farm building Prefab with an existing LOD Group component?

Any screenshots and console output would be helpful.

Thanks!

19. Ian-Underwood

Ian-Underwood

Hi, I'm having a problem with HDRP and terrain trees with imposters.

https://imgur.com/a/ehE7K8X

As you can see from the screenshot, the objects appear semitransparent and behave erratically when moving, creating a "ghosting" effect. The trees work fine without imposters, and the tree prefab without being part of the terrain system works fine as well. Any suggestion?

20. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey there, not sure we've come across this one before.

What's your Unity and HD version? Can you share sample with the original model(including textures and material) and impostor?

Thanks!

21. yrucrem

yrucrem

Thank you for the quick answer! Here is the additional information.

Yes, the building already has a LOD group, and as far as I can see, the Impostor component recognises it.

Here is the console output, when I bake the impostor:

... and the screenshots of
    1. the Impostor component
    2. the LOD group
    3. the scene with the building with the impostor marked (so one sees that it is not at the right place and below the terrain), and
    4. the scene again zoomed in on the impostor

1-impostor-component.jpg 2-lod-group.jpg 3-impostor-position.jpg 4-impostor.jpg

To recreate this, I created a new project and did nothing besides importing the two assets, creating a small random terrain with the building (I removed all other objects placed by Gaia), and create the impostor for it.

Thanks again in advance for your help! I hope you can point me in the right direction, if I can provide any more information, I will deliver it as soon as possible.

Best regards,
    Patrick

22. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey there!

Thank you for the additional details.

Not entirely sure what could be causing the issue, are you using the latest Amplify Impostors version?
    Can you replicate the issue on an isolated scene using only that house model?
    What shader does the house use?

Thanks!

23. Ian-Underwood

Ian-Underwood

I'm using Unity 2019.1.4f1, with HDRP version 5.16.1. The shader on the trees is just a simple HDRP/Lit shader.

24. PrinceLing

PrinceLing

I can't use this plugin when I use my own shader, only the Standard shader can be used. What solution does the author have? Let the shader that I write can also render.

25. PrinceLing

PrinceLing

I have a temporary solution about【[AmplifyImpostors] Something went wrong with the baking process, please contact support@amplify.pt with this log message.】
    you can change some code.EG:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. #if UNITY_2018_3_OR_NEWER
    2.                         //targetPrefab = PrefabUtility.GetPrefabInstanceHandle( ( Selection.activeObject as GameObject ).transform.root.gameObject );
    3.                         //this line
    4.                         targetPrefab = PrefabUtility.GetPrefabParent(this.gameObject);
    5. #else
    6.                         targetPrefab = PrefabUtility.GetPrefabObject( ( Selection.activeObject as GameObject ).transform.root.gameObject );
    7. #endif
    8.                         string path = AssetDatabase.GetAssetPath(targetPrefab);
    9.                         //this line
    10.                         GameObject targetGO = AssetDatabase.LoadAssetAtPath(path, typeof(GameObject)) as GameObject;
    11.                         UnityEngine.Object inst = PrefabUtility.InstantiatePrefab(targetGO);
    12.                         tempGO = inst as GameObject;
    13.                         AmplifyImpostor ai = tempGO.GetComponentInChildren<AmplifyImpostor>();
    14.                         impostorObject.transform.SetParent( ai.LodGroup.transform );
    15.                         ai.m_lastImpostor = impostorObject;
    16. #if UNITY_2018_3_OR_NEWER
    17.                         //this line
    18.                         PrefabUtility.SaveAsPrefabAssetAndConnect( tempGO, path, InteractionMode.AutomatedAction );
    19. #else
    20.                         PrefabUtility.ReplacePrefab( tempGO, targetPrefab, ReplacePrefabOptions.ConnectToPrefab );
    21. #endif
    22.                         ai = targetGO.GetComponentInChildren<AmplifyImpostor>();
    23.                         impostorObject = ai.m_lastImpostor;
    24.                         DestroyImmediate( tempGO );

Willbkool_FPCS likes this.
  26. acepy

acepy

It would be very useful a button that I click to recreate the textures of all the imposters in the scene, when I change the environment in a lightmapped scene.

27. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Do you see the same problem on our samples or other impostors or is this specific to objects placed on the terrain?

You can create custom shaders for baking and runtime using Amplify Shader Editor, be sure to check the available documentation.

Thanks for sharing, we really appreciate it!

Are you on the latest Impostors version?

Batching is planned, thanks!

28. Ian-Underwood

Ian-Underwood

It only happens for an object placed on terrain, the same object placed as a normal object doesn't have any issues.

29. Amplify_Paulo

Amplify_Paulo

Hi Ian, what fog solution are you using in that previous shot?

It seems to be that it might be something about the depth of the impostor versus the depth being used by the fog, can you also test turning the fog off and see if everything looks correct? Although it's strange only happening when it's part of the terrain.

Meanwhile I'll try to replicate the issue here somehow.

30. yrucrem

yrucrem

Yes, I am using the latest version of Amplify Impostors, and Unity 2019.1.1f1.

Yes the problem also occurs, when I import only Amplify Impostors and the single Prefab of the House.

The error message in the console is
    What I noticed in this minimal scene is that the prefab seems to get duplicated:

upload_2019-7-4_22-18-40.png upload_2019-7-4_22-18-9.png

As far as I can see the house uses the "Standard" shader.

Thanks for your help, and best regards,
    Patrick

31. Ian-Underwood

Ian-Underwood

Unfortunately, the problem stays even if I turn off fog (and in fact if I completely turn off all HDRP volumes.)

I was able to replicate the issue in a blank project, using Unity 2019.1.4f1, importing HDRP 5.16.1 and the latest version of Amplify Imposters, importing the HDRP Imposter package, creating a terrain in an otherwise blank scene (with just a default camera and light), and then placing a prefab that has LOD0 = a model with a standard HDRP Lit shader on it, and LOD1 = an imposter.

32. Scribbler_

Scribbler_

Thanks for posting this - but I just tried the suggested fix, and I'm still seeing the same issue:

[AmplifyImpostors] Something went wrong with the baking process, please contact support@amplify.pt with this log message.
    Object reference not set to an instance of an object at AmplifyImpostors.AmplifyImpostor.RenderAllDeferredGroups (AmplifyImpostors.AmplifyImpostorAsset data) [0x0149a] in D:\Documents\Unity Projects\Amplify_test\Assets\AmplifyImpostors\Plugins\Scripts\AmplifyImpostor.cs:1135

at AmplifyImpostors.AmplifyImpostorInspector.DelayedBake () [0x00002] in D:\Documents\Unity Projects\Amplify_test\Assets\AmplifyImpostors\Plugins\Editor\Inspector\AmplifyImpostorInspector.cs:971
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object)
    AmplifyImpostors.AmplifyImpostorInspector:DelayedBake() (at Assets/AmplifyImpostors/Plugins/Editor/Inspector/AmplifyImpostorInspector.cs:976)
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallDelayFunctions()

Unity version: 2019.1.0f2
    HDRP version: 5.7.2
    Amplify imposters version: current ver. 0.9.5.004 (just imported to a blank scene)

Would love to use this for a showcase project next week - any assistance possible? Happy to provide project / assets if that's helpful.
    (Duplicate ticket sent to the support email a few days ago)

33. Amplify_Paulo

Amplify_Paulo

Hey everyone, so this error that some of you are getting is a tricky one, is due to changes to the new prefab system and it could be happening in two different situations, however from your descriptions it's not enough to determine which one of them it is. Also, I'm still not convinced that one of them is fixed so if you are getting this issue please update to this new version, test it again and if you still see the error please send us an email with your model setup so we can reproduce it here. Thank you for your patience.

Amplify Impostors 0.9.5 rev005 - Asset Store - Amplify Products

Fixes
    • Fixed issue with not detecting prefabs correctly on first bake
    • Fixed issue with depth sphere impostors when parent object was scaled
    cheers

34. Scribbler_

Scribbler_

Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately, while that warning has now gone, I'm still seeing a different warning, and the bake process still produces black textures.

[AmplifyImpostors] Custom render pipeline was detected but necessary files for baking are missing, please make sure the appropriate files were imported.
    You can find them at 'RenderPipelinePackages' folder.

To help troubleshoot, I've sent you a mail with a link to a simple project for Unity 2019.1. I've also uploaded a single asset that's consistently failing.

Please look out for a mail to your support called:

RE: [Amplify Imposters] Issues with HDRP (With assets / project to test)

Happy to test / troubleshoot, or provide additional info

35. Scribbler_

Scribbler_

I’ve done quite a bit more testing today.

Restarting Unity removed the warning above (my mistake - looked like the HDRP package didn’t import properly), but I’ve still not been able to successfully bake an imposter in HDRP.

Each test was an empty project created in 2019.1.0f2, with the latest version of ‘Amplify Imposters’ immediately loaded through package manager. I used the same asset each time (a tree) which is in the email mentioned in the above post.

HDRP 5.7.2 listed several critical shader errors as soon as Amplify Imposters were imported.

Updating to HDRP 5.13 removed these errors, and allowed me to bake an imposter. The first bake, the imposter had a 100% white albedo, but otherwise appeared to work. It’s an issue I’ve seen elsewhere in this thread, but couldn’t see a solution. I wasn’t able to repeat it, though.

Every other attempt following the same process (the same process described above, though I assume I must have done something slightly different each time) resulted in a black bake.

Imposters of the same asset baked without issue in the same version of Unity 2019.1 under the legacy pipeline.

Overall, extremely frustrating. Anything I can do the help get it fixed?

36. MAXFORCE

MAXFORCE

Can I create amplify impostors for mobile so that a model will be deleted and only impostor will remain instead of a model? And second question - deleted and replaced with another low poly model?

37. Amplify_Paulo

Amplify_Paulo

Technically you can, but practically it depends on the context of it's use, impostors are good substitute for high poly models viewed from afar, so it's two conditions. Are your models low poly, in what range? lower than 300 polys? if yes than most likely you wont see much benefit. Do you expect them to see them from close range? if yes then they will look progressively worse the closer you get to them.

I'm not sure if I understood the second question tho.

@Scribbler_
    Saw your email, have been doing some tests. The error you get with HDRP in 5.7.2 is a known issue, unity changed some internal stuff in HDRP and I've not been able to find a good way to support both that version and every other after that so the quickest solution would be to upgrade HDRP to at least 5.9. Sorry for that inconvenience. Regarding that specific model the issue is two-fold.

First, as the warning the plugin implies, you need to import the appropriate SRP package to make impostors work. In this case you would need to import the package found in "AmplifyImpostors>Plugins>RenderPipelinePackages>ImpostorsHDRP"

This is because this contains the necessary shaders and presets that respect the HDRP way of rendering things. If you redo your steps you'll then notice the preset is different when you go bake it:

If for some reason it isn't, just drag the correct one to fix it manually.

However this alone will only fix part of it. It will bake the impostor but thyou'll get the white albedo issue. This is because that model uses custom shaders created with shader graph. And the way we support custom shaders is by creating a special baking shader and rendering shader. The simple reason is that it's impossible to know from a custom shader what information you want baked and where you want it baked, so you do this by creating a special baking shader that's similar to your custom shader that outputs to different channels the different information it needs. You then also need a special runtime shader that uses that custom baked textures in a way that makes sense to your special shader. To ease the pain of creating these shaders we added support using our own editor ASE, you can see a step by step tutorial of the whole thing here: http://wiki.amplify.pt/index.php?title=Unity_Products:Amplify_Impostors/Custom_Baking
    We have also tried to add support to shader graph but unity made some recent changes that made it harder. So for now that's on hold.

However from what I've seen of your model you can solve it in a different way, your custom shader isn't doing anything particularly special so you could simply do the necessary changes and use the standard hdrp shader and bake that. You simply need to combine some textures together and setup the materials.

I actually did that here, this is a quick result:

real on the left, impostor on the right.

38. Scribbler_

Scribbler_

Thanks for looking into this, and for the explanation.

I read ‘custom shader’ as writing a custom version of the HDRP master node, rather than ‘using the shader graph’.

Appreciate the time!

39. sabojako

sabojako

Very nice work Amplify :)

2 review points from testings:
    • Octahedron Impostors with low numbers of Axis Frames tend to shape badly and pop because of the binary nature of the alpha mask. Have you guys thought about using Signed Distance Field 2D silhouette alpha in that regards?
    • Spherical Impostors tend to wiggle left and right around the Z axis of the camera. Upon digging, I notice in SphereImpostorVertex() that you calculate a horizontal radial angle to rotate the Billboard using yRot. Why not leave the yRot to 0, so that the billboard better orients to the Y axis of the camera instead?
      • You can easily test this with a low number of Axis Frames (e.i. 5) on the barrel, and pitch the camera downwards by 45 degrees. Notice that the "up" axis of the billboard quickly becomes unstable.
      • Something like this?
        Code (CSharp):
        1.     // Create horizontal radial angle
        2.     float verticalDot = dot( objectCameraDirection, upVector );
        3.     float upAngleReal = ( acos( -verticalDot ) * AI_INV_PI );
        4.     float upAngle = upAngleReal + axisSizeFraction * 0.5f;
        5.     float yRot = sizeFraction.x * AI_PI * verticalDot * ( 2 * frac( verticalAngle ) - 1 );
        6.     float angleTest = axisSizeFraction * 0.5;
        7.     if (upAngleReal < 1 - angleTest && upAngleReal > angleTest)
        8.         yRot = 0;
    Cheers :D

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    Amplify_Paulo and Bzuco like this.
  40. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Thanks, we really appreciate your feedback!

Signed Distance Fields for alpha masks is on our roadmap, hopefully it's something we can handle soon.
    I'll share the additional details with the Amplify Impostors developer, he is currently away.

Thanks!

41. p_hergott

p_hergott

Does it support multiple cameras?

42. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Yes, should work great!

43. p_hergott

p_hergott

..... and sold!

Amplify_Ricardo likes this.
  44. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Thanks!

45. p_hergott

p_hergott

omg, this system is redonkulous. its easy to use, and is hugely effective. like how did I make a scene before this!?

46. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Glad to know it works well for your project, looking forward to seeing it in action!

47. benjaminthorn

benjaminthorn

Hi Guys,

maybe I'm to critical but I´m feared players may recognise the Imposters :confused:

screenshot_1538.png screenshot_1536.png

Both with default settings. But there was this Error:

screenshot_1539.png

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  48. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

While Impostors are meant to be seen from a certain distance, the house does looks a bit too blurry. Can you share those 2 models for further testing our side?

Do you get the same results with Spherical impostors? Please note that Octahedron impostors break down at close distances.

Looking forward to your reply.

49. benjaminthorn

benjaminthorn

Sure, I'll send to your Mail

Thats Spherical
    screenshot_1540.png

Did you recognise the Error I added?

50. pistoleta

pistoleta

This is for the Amplify developers:

Regarding that error, seems to be happening in the AmplifyImpostor.cs file.
    I went across it and seems to be taking into account when dealing with prefabs the unity versions:
    "UNITY_2018_3_OR_NEWER"

But, correct me if Im wrong, they introduced a New Prefab system which requires slightly changes the way we deal with the prefabs in assets.
    I attach a document that explains the new prefab system, im not sure this is the problem but it might be related since I had a similar problem recently when dealing with prefabs.

Document: page 52 till the end

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019