Search Unity

[BETA RELEASE] Amplify Impostors

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Amplify_Ricardo, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Bzuco

Bzuco

@Jbs_GameZone
    Check created impostor texture, ...if you see buildings on it.
    It is good way to create one impostor from group of buildings? I will choice one impostor for each building if it is possible.

EDIT: could be the buildings culled during baking process?? I never try to create impostor from object which already has LOD group.

2. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hello, thank you for your support!

Can you please confirm if you're using the latest version available from our website, v0.9.3?

Is possible, could you send us a simple sample with the issue present to support@amplify.pt, so that we can investigate this on our side?

3. Jbs_GameZone

Jbs_GameZone

Check created impostor texture
    The albedo looks ok, here is a 6x6 one :

Impostor_2.png

It is good way to create one impostor from group of buildings? I will choice one impostor for each building if it is possible.
    Lots of work has gone into baking the buildings into a single mesh for reducing rendering overhead when going through the city (traded frustum culling, since the tris were not that high anyway, in the favor of reducing draw calls from ~500 to one single draw call which drastically boosted up the performance). Theoretically it shouldn't matter what the prefab contains as long as it has one single mesh and texture.

EDIT: could be the buildings culled during baking process?? I never try to create impostor from object which already has LOD group
    Tried it with a simpler gameobject, with no LODs, but the resuts were the same, an empty impostor (but with the albedo generated ok) :

Impostor_4.png

4. Jbs_GameZone

Jbs_GameZone

Using v.0.9.1 (that one was downloaded today from the asset store). I'll try to update to v0.9.3 and reply back, eventually also sending an email to your support.

Thanks

5. Jbs_GameZone

Jbs_GameZone

UPDATE : Fixed

I've managed to look over the samples you provided and compared them with mine.

It turned out to be the shader, it didn't liked the Mobile-Unlit shader on the original prefabs. Workaround was to change it to Mobile-Diffuse, generate the impostor, then switch the original back to unlit.

Amplify_Borba likes this.
  6. unity_5fpsmegasupergiperprogramer

unity_5fpsmegasupergiperprogramer

When will the update be in the Asset Store?

"0.9.1 (current)
    released Sep 19, 2018"

7. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hello, after submitting a new build to the Asset Store it could take up to a couple of days for it to be accepted, which is beyond our control. In the meantime, feel free do download it through our website.

Willbkool_FPCS likes this.
  8. Simunek

Simunek

Hi!

are you planning some mobile shaders? Or is spherical already mobile? I also found that is not compatible with Amplyfy Shader Editor :/

Apart from that, it is very ammazing asset and I hope, you will continue developing it! It is one of the best assets!

9. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hello! The shaders we provide are mobile compatible and can't be any more optimized than they already are, the technique itself is quite demanding for this platform due to the way it has to be implemented.

What you could do in order to increase mobile performance is to create your own Custom Baking shader and have less maps being used, in order to reduce the number of textures and therefore the number of instructions.

Regarding your other question, what do you mean by not being compatible with ASE?

You are able to create custom runtime and baking shaders with Amplify Shader Editor, the shaders / templates already provided with Amplify Impostors are not meant to be edited since we enable users to create their own custom solutions.

10. Amplify_Paulo

Amplify_Paulo

Hello again. So here's another version that contains examples with HDRP and LWRP. They are very simple so that the package doesn't increase too much in size. I also found a few other issues with HDRP template for ASE which I fixed. You can find it on our page as usual and on the store (should be up by now).

Amplify Impostors 0.9.4 - Asset Store - Amplify Products

Improvements
    • Added simple samples for both HD and LW rendering pipelines
    • Changed runtime ASE templates to be easier to use with more rendering options when doing custom baking (HDRP custom baking should now be on par with standard HDRP)
    Fixes
    • Fixed various issues that prevented HDRP custom baking template to compile and render properly
    • Fixed issue with instancing not working correctly in HDRP due to camera relative rendering feature
    • Fixed issue with LWRP that was causing an early cut of the impostor shadows due to shadow bias option
    • Fixed issue where baking a LOD Group impostor with no LOD defined would crash the baker, now creates an empty impostor instead
    • HDRP shaders no longer show warnings when selected

best regards,
    Paulo

11. Simunek

Simunek

Hi,

thanks for explaining whole thing! :)

Amplify_Borba likes this.
  12. TokyoWarfareProject

TokyoWarfareProject

Please add lightmap support, simply bake them among with the albedo, this way the lod switch between ligthmapped and imposter will be seamless

13. Amplify_Paulo

Amplify_Paulo

I'm still thinking about it. The main issue is not so much baking the lightmaps and you could do it currently with custom baking, the issue it the notion of "uniqueness". Baking lightmaps means that single object is unique so that impostor cannot be repeated elsewhere or else the lightmaps wouldn't match correctly, this might not be an issue for single impostors that are only present once in your scene but it is for every other. I need to think of a way to allow to bake only the lightmap so that if you have multiple impostors you can bake only the lightmap and share every other map? I'm not sure yet because there might be other cases like this so I'm thinking of a way to bake unique maps and not just lightmaps.

MNNoxMortem likes this.
  14. GameDevCouple_I

GameDevCouple_I

Maybe the "shadow" part could be saved as instanced property, no idea how heavy that would be, having a bunch of instanced color per pixel saved for reading unique shadows while maintaining instancing? Im guessing it would go beyond how much data you can instance but worth asking?

15. TokyoWarfareProject

TokyoWarfareProject

I'm perfectly aware of that, but there are many situations where this is already perfectly ok, If you whant to "impostorize" a building that is very complex and at the same time, unique baking it directly on the impostor tile is perfectly ok.

For the other situations like props, I think there should be option for
    1) not bake ligthmap
    2) bake ONLY, indirect as baking direct would make no sense IMO.

But for now, adding option to bake lightmap for unique objects, as it would be quite easy to implement would be an step forward already.

edit:

and may be, at the end of the road, to make the ligthmapping like FULLY supported. You could add an extra texture layer like 2k or 4k that has an array of impostors with only direct lighting for all the in scene imposters. As theese will be far, no hi res needed for each,

16. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Thank you for the thorough feedback, we really appreciate it!

I'll be sure to pass this information along to the developer for further consideration, as well as add a request for lightmap baking support.

TokyoWarfareProject likes this.
  17. Ramulos

Ramulos

Hello,

I'm using amplify impostors to make impostors for my trees in VR, vive, using Enviro as the day/night/weather system. It all works great and i'm able to make a decently sized/dense forest with great fps. The problem is that come night time, the impostors ofcourse don't change their lighting causing them to look like they're glowing even through a fog. Shown in image:
    Desktop Screenshot 2019.02.17 - 01.58.17.46.png

Do you have any suggestions on how to avoid this? is there a way to apply a gradient on the impostor when its night? or maybe bake 2 impostors, a dark one and a this one, and switch between them based on day or night? The problem is the only way I can think of making a dark version of this impostor to switch between is to manually go in and color the mini trees in the texture file in gimp or something. Any other ideas on how to make a dark version of this impostor to switch between the 2? Any help would be appreciated.

Regardless thanks for the awesome asset!

18. gecko

gecko

Any ETA yet on skinned mesh renderer support?

19. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hello! We do hope to add support for runtime baking in a future build, but for now you could bake different versions of your impostors for different lighting conditions and swap them in runtime according to the time of the day, you don't have to go through the trouble of manually editing any files.

Edit: To be perfectly clear, AI supports dynamic lighting and probes as the impostor bakes do not rely on lighting, if any issues occur in this regard we'll have to examine this on a case by case basis. Lightmap support, however, should be added soon.

Hello, we don't have any ETA to share at this time, apologies for the inconvenience.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  20. serberusno1

serberusno1

Thanks for the reply. I have to ask though, are you planning on supporting adding lightmap data to the bake? Seems to be a no-brainer to me. I'm very impressed with this asset and would certainly use it on my projects but the lightmap issue makes it completely pointless to me. Is there a way around this? Like can you lightmap the asset somehow after converting it to an impostor?

21. ivabibliocad

ivabibliocad

Will this system work with speed trees?

22. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hello, it's definitely something we hope to tackle in the near future, but I'm afraid that I can't offer any ETA at this time.
    It should be possible to use set up a custom bake and runtime shader, as Amplify_Ricardo stated, but it requires advanced shader knowledge.

Hey there, AI is fully compatible with SpeedTrees, I can confirm this as we've ran some tests in the past, but please let us know if you come across any issues.

23. TokyoWarfareProject

TokyoWarfareProject

Add the option ton bake indirect or indirect + direct lightmap among with the difuse on the imposter texture and you'll make much of us happy enough.

24. Suki-W

Suki-W

Runtime / Skin mesh support? might be supported?

25. ivabibliocad

ivabibliocad

Oh Great.... I'm planning to use it with Speed trees for huge forests for VR (Oculus Rift). Has this scenario been tested too? Thanks for the quick reply!

26. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

I'll make sure to add your feedback to the request, thanks!

Hello, this is currently in our current roadmap, so we'll definitely tackle it as soon as possible!

We haven't tested SpeedTrees impostors specifically in a VR environment but Amplify Impostors works great on VR.
    Do note that the results will always depend on the assets used, the baking settings for the impostors and distance from the camera.

27. ivabibliocad

ivabibliocad

Great, I'll give it a Try!

28. therewillbebrad

therewillbebrad

Does anyone have a good solution for a toon based shader approach? Using the impostor with the standard shader works alright but I didn't know if anyone had gotten a toon shader working properly. I also have ASE if there is a solution already available in that packgae. Thanks!

29. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hello, you'll need to set up your own custom runtime and bake shaders in order to ensure that the generated impostors account for the custom lighting setup of your toon based shader.

30. Royall

Royall

I really like Amplify Impostors but I have one issue and it looks like shadow flickering on random occasion.

I'm using Hemi Octahedron, res 2048, frames 8 and animated crossfade for the trees (v0.9.4 - Deferred Shading)

Sometimes it looks like all shadows turn off in a blink of an eye. Check out the GIF for an example:

Or click here for GIF

31. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hello, this issue seems like it might be related to probes, can you reproduce it in a simple scene and share a sample with us so that we can debug it?

32. Royall

Royall

I don't use probes, just realtime lighting without illumination.
    And yes ill try :)

33. Royall

Royall

I have sent you guys an example project by mail :)

34. MNNoxMortem

MNNoxMortem

Really awsome asset.

@Amplify_Borba Could you be so kind and just very broadly outline how the imposters are able to provide correct realtime shadows for geometry with holes and how does it work with the Realtime GI system. I am just super curious.

35. Raul_MadGoat

Raul_MadGoat

Hey there!

Been tinkering with amplify impostors and ASE for the past hour and I decided to just give up and ask here. How exactly I'm supposed to set up an amplify impostor shader in ASE? I've been trying to start with a simple one, just using the impostor node but the shader built in ASE doesn't seem to render anything.

My final goal would be to set up a shader with the same functionality as our vegetation shader (snow coverage and world position based color variation) but I can't get this simple one to work :D

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug? Using latest versions of ASE and Impostors on unity 2018.3.7f, standard pipeline.

upload_2019-3-7_17-20-39.png

upload_2019-3-7_17-20-49.png

Thanks
    Raul @ MadGoat Studio

36. Royall

Royall

Have you guys received my project?

37. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hey there, I've examined the project at the time it was received and have escalated it to the developer, it's currently pending further investigation, I thought I had replied to your email but it wasn't the case and I apologize for that.

We'll get back to you as soon as we have any developments, thank you for understanding!

Hello, no problem at all! To put it short, since our impostors write to the depth, they produce and react to shadows and to everything that depends on the depth. Regarding Realtime GI, there's no special consideration here that I'm aware of.

Hello Raul, could you please send us a sample to support@amplify.pt for our developer to debug?
    The custom shader seems to be setup correctly so there might be an issue related to the asset, project or scene.

MNNoxMortem likes this.
  38. Raul_MadGoat

Raul_MadGoat

Thanks for the reply!

Sure, I'll prepare a sample as soon as possible and will send over email.

39. FiveFingerStudios

FiveFingerStudios

Does this asset currently support VR and single pass stereo rendering?

Also, how does this work with the “Tint” of a shader. Does it take that into account when creating the imposters?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  40. therewillbebrad

therewillbebrad

It does. You need to use the standard shader only in my experience but it doesn't matter if it's your last lod level and you're using a toon shader. Having your light probes placed correctly is probably the most important thing I've found with the impostors.

MNNoxMortem likes this.
  41. Raul_MadGoat

Raul_MadGoat

@Amplify_Borba Hi, just wondering if you guys got my email with the sample project. Haven't got a reply (unless I've somehow missed it.) and I'm just wondering if the email actually got delivered (had some issues with the size of the zip containing the sample)

42. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hello, AI works great with VR and we're not aware of any issues with Single Pass Stereo at this time, impostors will take into account the Tint of a shader by default.

Hello, apologies for the delay in our response, unfortunately we don't respond to emails during the weekend but I'll be sure to get back to your email soon.

MNNoxMortem and Raul_MadGoat like this.
  43. Amplify_Paulo

Amplify_Paulo

Hi all, this is pretty much just a hotfix for the shadow flickering issue that was affecting a few of you ( @Royall ). The next build is still a few days away and I didn't want you to have to wait for it. And while on the subject the next build should come with a lot better support for baking lightmaps to impostors and some other SRP and UI goodies. The lightmaps are taking their time tho and now there's 3 major rendering pipelines to worry about :eek:

Get it at the website, this wont come to the store just yet, I'll probably skip it altogether and release the next build instead.

Amplify Impostors 0.9.4 rev001 - Asset Store - Amplify Products

Fixes
    • Fixed issue with shadow casting that was causing flickering in some specific occasions

JBR-games, ftejada and Raul_MadGoat like this.
  44. LukeDawn

LukeDawn

How is this asset with global fog and GI? Is it possible to redo the imposter at runtime as needed? And can the imposter be used as a LOD level past a certain distance?

45. magique

magique

I see this now works with SpeedTree. Is there still a plan for Unity tree Creator tree support?

JBR-games and LukeDawn like this.
  46. DeepShader

DeepShader

Badly Unity still doesn't have a build in Automatic LOD, so maybe this question is a little bit stupid, but does Amplify Imposters automatically build LODs too or does I've to use a second tool beside Amplify Imposters to get all LOD levels between the Imposter and LOD 0?

47. Amplify_Paulo

Amplify_Paulo

Hi all, finally there's a new build available, took awhile but I think it's worth it.

Some notes to have in consideration if you intend to try out the new stuff. If you intend to use the new baking and runtime features please update ASE to the latest version as some bugs were found and fixed on ASE side while developing these. Also, the new lightmap support is still a bit convoluted due to the way unity handles lightmaps and how we can handle them in a consistent way throughout the 3 major render pipelines so I'll not release this build to the store just yet and instead I'll working on providing information in our wiki and it should also give me some buffer time in case someone finds issues with it.

While trying to support SRP it became increasingly painful to convert every single Shader Graph shader to something Impostors can bake thus we decided to create our own Shader Graph master nodes that you can use to more easily convert and bake objects. This is still very experimental so report back is anything breaks. But provided you imported the correct SRP package to your project you should be able to see and use two new Amplify master nodes like this:

AILW.PNG

We also reworked the UI a bit to be more user friendly and mimic the LOD group so now the renderer list should display like this:

refUI.PNG

Amplify Impostors 0.9.5 rev000 - Asset Store - Amplify Products

Improvements
    • Improved bounds detection and rendering algorithm which better uses the texture space available (up to 20% resolution increase in some cases)
    • Added support for baking impostors with Unity's Shader Graph which should facilitate baking special shader created with Shader Graph
    • New UI for renderer list (should look and work almost the same as the one found in LOD Group component)
    • Custom baking and rendering of shaders now support the baking of lightmaps through ASE
    • Added alpha to coverage option in the default impostor material
    • Each render pipeline now has it's own bake template preset which should be aware of possible differences between the 3 pipelines
    • Added compatibility with Unity 2019.1
    Fixes
    • Fixed issue with shadow bias not being taken into account in all situations
    • Baker now respects renderers material block fully which should eliminate various potential issues regarding correct matching between real object and baked one
    • Added missing pass to Spherical HRDP
    • Fixed instancing in HRDP which was broken in various places and causing rendering issues
    • Various minor code fixes and warning removals

1. Should work fine with fog since it calls the original unity's fog functions and writes to depth for any other global fog solution.
    2. Not currently, it's in our roadmap for sure and I've already prepared some ground work, this and realtime impostor baking are the features keeping us from leaving BETA status so we'll work on them for sure, we just wanted to stabilize what we have first, in fact, unless something comes up realtime baking is the next thing on my todo list.
    3. Yes and that's exactly the point for impostors, to be used as a LOD level. You can read more on our FAQ section here.

I would have to do some tests first to give you a final answer but the quick one is that it shouldn't need much more to work with it. So while there isn't a plan I'll at least look into it and if its something I can quickly add support, I'll do it.

Sadly you still need that extra tool. A tool like that would be it's own project and that is out of the scope of this one. I wouldn't mind to facilitate support for existing tools though, so that you could generate LODs containing impostors more easily.

hippocoder likes this.
  48. DeepShader

DeepShader

49. Amplify_Paulo

Amplify_Paulo

50. DeepShader

DeepShader

I think InstaLOD will be too expensive.