Search Unity

[BETA PROGRAM] Landscape Builder - realworld, GPU acceleration, prefab placement

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sstrong, Apr 30, 2016.

1. PolyMad

PolyMad

Feature request: I don't know if this is possible, maybe the Speedtree doesn't allow... but it would be nice to have
    Yeah, I switched onto spheres, which are the fastest and ok for my case.

2. PolyMad

PolyMad

Probably found the specularity problem.
    It has to do with PSD file import options on the alpha channel.

If the setting is on NONE, the texture is ok and will not produce any specular.
    If it's set on INPUT TEXTURE ALPHA, no matter how low the alpha channel is, the specular will be pumped up to 100% or so.
    If it's set on FROM GRAY SCALE, the alpha will be calculated by Unity creating a gray scale from the image and will be correct but with the limitation that the user can't choose a real alpha channel.

It would be nice to turn around this problem...

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  3. sstrong

sstrong

Ok. Do you think we can help in any way? Do you have an example texture that we can play with?

4. PolyMad

PolyMad

Sent you a PM.

5. sstrong

sstrong

Vegetation Studio Pro support

Soon we'll be adding preview support for Vegetation Studio Pro. The beta will include:
    • Two-click integration with VS Pro (yep, just click the box in Terrain Settings and Apply)
    • Unity terrain trees are automatically surfaced in VS Pro (full integration with LB Trees tab)
    • Texture tab seamlessly surfaces textures in VS Pro
    • Grass tab grasses and rules are surfaced in VS Pro
    • Group tab grass zones are surfaced in VS Pro as Vegetation Mask Areas
    • Add YOUR suggestion here
    Yes, we're interested in what integration features you'd like to see.

LennartJohansen likes this.
  6. PolyMad

PolyMad

Is Vegetation Studio Pro, just Vegetation Studio? I can only find Vegetation Studio on the AS.

7. sstrong

sstrong

VSP is a new high performance, feature-rich "version" of Vegetation Studio which is currently in Beta.

Vegetation Studio Pro Beta

PolyMad likes this.
  8. sstrong

sstrong

LB 2.0.6 Beta 6m includes:

[NEW] GPU Acceleration - Texturing (Experimental)
    [NEW] GPU Acceleration - Grass (Experimental)
    [NEW] GPU Acceleration - Topography (WIP - Experimental)
    [NEW] Preview support for MicroSplat
    [NEW] Preview support for Vegetation Studio Pro
    [NEW] LBLighting - clouds and/or ambient lighting can use High Dynamic Range (HDR) colours
    [NEW] LBLighting - ambient lighting can use separate colours for sky, horizon, and ground
    [NEW] Map Path - context menu in scene view for faster path creation
    [NEW] GeoTIFF - Fix holes (spikes) in imported data sets
    [NEW] Topography Final Pass Smoothing - Added Stencil Layer filters (AND, NOT)
    [NEW] Topography Final Pass Erosion - Added Stencil Layer filters (AND, NOT)
    [FIXED] Layer Image Modifiers - volume picker may not appear or update unless mouse pointer is over scene view
    [FIXED] Stencil - circle gradient layer brush paints inverted gradient colours with HDRP
    [FIXED] Stencil - move to centre on right mouse click should not be active when Show Stencil is disabled
    [FIXED] Topography Image Layers - Detailed smoothing should have no effect if there is no heightmap image
    [FIXED] Topography Layer Restrict Area picker sizing label is incorrectly positioned
    [FIXED] Topography Layer - Add/Remove Height is incorrectly considered when Remove Base Noise is not enabled
    [FIXED] Topography Layer - Filters are not correctly copied when Inserting duplicate layers
    [FIXED] Topography Layer - NullReferenceException if selecting None for Stencil Layer Filter
    [IMPROVED] LBLighting is more compatible with Unity Post Processing stack 2.0
    [IMPROVED] Topography Image Layer smoothing
    [IMPROVED] Better support for importing 16bit TIFF data from World Creator
    [IMPROVED] 2018.3 support including new terrain system

StevenPicard likes this.
  9. PolyMad

PolyMad

I see... thank you.
    Feature request: trees distribution based on the texture index on the terrain.

10. sstrong

sstrong

1. Trees Tab
    2. Select a Tree Type
    3. Add Filter
    4. Filter (type) Texture
    5. Select a Texture from the drop down
    6. Populate Landscape with Trees

PolyMad likes this.
  11. sstrong

sstrong

GPU Acceleration for Topography

upload_2018-10-13_14-47-44.png

We are seeing a 15X performance improvement* for Perlin layers in Topography with GPU acceleration enabled on low-end GPUs. You should also get good results with Image Layers.

There are still some outstanding issues and known parity problems with the standard CPU topography creation. However, we value your feedback and please report any issues along with error/warning messages, GPU model, OS etc.

The more data we get from you, the faster it moves out of Experimental stage and into mainstream support.

BTW it already supports the new terrain system in 2018.3 and should also work with 2019.1 next year.

You'll need Landscape Builder 2.0.6 Beta 7a or newer. It works with Unity 5.6.2 or newer.

* Results from 64 terrains, heightmap resolution of 1025, with 2 Perlin layers.

PolyMad likes this.
  12. PolyMad

PolyMad

Oh gosh let me download this version right away :D
    What are the differences in the new Unity Terrain System?

Btw: found a workaround to fix the specularity problem.
    As the problem is INTRODUCED by Unity trying to fix the transparency of a Photoshop file, just add a simple color layer behind ALL the other layers (so that it doesn't modify your texture) and leave it at 100% fill: this will remove all any transparent pixels, and the specularity channel will then be read correctly. However this is a Unity bug.

sstrong likes this.
  13. PolyMad

PolyMad

Trying to download but:
    We're sorry, but ___________@gmail.com can't be found in the scsm-my.sharepoint.com directory.
    Please try again later, while we try to automatically fix this for you.

14. sstrong

sstrong

Are you still having problems with the download? If so, I can remove and re-add you.

15. PolyMad

PolyMad

Yes, tried right now, same problem.

16. PolyMad

PolyMad

What happens if I import with different GUID? Will I lose my stuff or I will only have to reopen the LB window?

Attached Files:

17. sstrong

sstrong

Should be fine. Not entirely sure why Unity does this some times.

18. PolyMad

PolyMad

I am trying now to apply Micro Splat material, it works a for a couple of seconds, then I switch on to textures, and then back to Landscape Settings, and the menu item selected is Built In Standard.
    Then I select the terrain chunks manually and click Convert To Micro Splat and it works.
    This way it seems working, but I'm wondering if this is the correct way the shader selection is working.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  19. sstrong

sstrong

Did you follow the instructions here?

Instructions are also included in the manual (there is a link in the table of contents) or go to page 64.

PolyMad likes this.
  20. PolyMad

PolyMad

OK I'll follow those instructions for the next terrain!

UPDATE:
    This time I followed the instructions and... it didn't work.
    Also with the other terrain, after applying the Micro Splat material I got a dull colored terrain, but when I fixed it manually it all went ok.
    This time, after following the instructions, I keep having the dull terrains.
    The LB material (the one that was there before) keeps replacing the Micro Splat, and the Micro Splat folder with all the configs etc. is not created in the scene directory.

UPDATE:
    It seems that only by manually clicking CONVERT TO MICRO SPLAT on the terrains works, it has now created the folders and textures etc.

UPDATE AGAIN:
    I added a new texture to the terrain and it doesn't appear in Micro Splat and I don't know how to update. It's all too much convoluted in my opinion, or there's some bugstop somewhere.

UPDATE AGAIN AND AGAIN:
    OK so I have to click GRAB FROM SCENE TERRAIN after I have textured with LB, I guess... in this case, is the TINT option working with the Micro Splat shader?
    Also, little problem: if I click on GRAB FROM SCENE TERRAIN, all the textures are re-defaulted to diffuse and normal, I guess this is how Micro Splat treats the import and it's not LB fault of course... this means it's better to complete the texture settings only when the terrain texturing is final... I can't imagine of any workaround for this, unless the author of Micro Splat will agree to add a "keep manual settings" when one clicks to import the textures from the terrains.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  21. Willbkool_FPCS

Willbkool_FPCS

Wishlist:

I wish that you could zoom in more when doing Stencils. I'm trying to do smaller areas and it's hard to be accurate.

On Object Paths, I would like them to be separate entities, every time you update it updates ALL of them. I'm doing hedgerows and the trees and bushes aren't always lined up correctly with the terrain even though I have that enabled, and they aren't always upright, even though I have that enabled too. So the way it is now, I will have to complete all of my Object Paths and then straighten/fix the objects that need it. That's going to be a lot of fixing on a 4km x 4km map.:eek:

22. sstrong

sstrong

You should be able to zoom in more on the stencil using the middle mouse scroll button. Let me know if this works/doesn't work for you.

Can you send me a Template for the object path issue? Sounds like a bug.

Willbkool_FPCS likes this.
  23. sstrong

sstrong

LB 2.0.6 Beta 7g

In this update:
    • Fixed a number of GPU-related bugs
    • Added GPU acceleration for Texturing in Groups
    • Added GPU acceleration for Topography Image Layers
    • Added GPU acceleration for Topography Image Modifier layers
    • Fixed a few issues with Vegetation Studio Pro integration
    WIP:
    • GPU acceleration for Topography Unity Terrains Layers (including TIFF, GeoTIFF, imported etc)
    • GPU acceleration for Topography MathPath Layers
    We're still in need of testers for GPU acceleration on late model Mac OSX

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  24. sstrong

sstrong

I suspect that it didn't work the first time because you didn't do steps 10, 11 & 12 in the instructions. These are necessary because MicroSplat doesn't expose an API to do this. In MegaSplat we went to great lengths to automate this using reflection but that code is difficult to maintain. You should have seen a popup dialog box similar to the following after clicking "Initialise" from step 9:

microsplatpopup.png

We are investigating the other issue and will post when we have an update

25. PolyMad

PolyMad

I think I missed point 12, I'll check better next time.

26. Willbkool_FPCS

Willbkool_FPCS

What if you don't have a middle mouse button?

27. PolyMad

PolyMad

You should have a keyboard replacement for that button (in theory).

28. Willbkool_FPCS

Willbkool_FPCS

That's what I thought, and tried using alt with right mouse and control, but it didn't seem to do anything..

29. PolyMad

PolyMad

I still can't understand how to work with Micro Splat integration.
    I added a texture between 1 and 2 in LB.
    The Micro Splat shader shows it as the old texture 3, which was the last, and now it's n. 4.

I clicked GRAB FROM SCENE TERRAIN, then I re-added the missing height textures.
    I clicked UPDATE on Micro Splat: no change.

I mean, this should be ALL I need to do, re-add the height textures because they get wiped after I click GRAB FROM SCENE TERRAIN, and then UPDATE, no?

The texture in the Micro Splat interface is correct, but on the terrain it's rendered the wrong one.

30. sstrong

sstrong

We'll get a patch out for you today. Watch this space for an update.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  31. sstrong

sstrong

Yep, we're on to it. We're also talking to the owner about some MegaSplat shsder compile issues (if you're also testing MegaSplat).

PolyMad likes this.
  32. sstrong

sstrong

We've just uploaded a new beta (LB 2.0.6 Beta 7i) which includes MUCH more Stencil zoom, plus keyboard shortcuts for Zoom All "\", Zoom In "[", Zoom Out "]" and navigation "WASD". And for faster navigation use SHIFT with WASD, like you can with the navigation buttons in the editor.

There are tooltips in the editor if you forget the keyboard shortcuts or can't be bothered looking it up in the manual.

eaque, PolyMad and Willbkool_FPCS like this.
  33. Willbkool_FPCS

Willbkool_FPCS

I printed 2 copies of the manual, one for at home and one for at work, but the .pdf is convenient for searching for things.
    Will the zooms work in the Object Path edit mode?

34. sstrong

sstrong

Different zoom in the Object Path editor. Is this for a Uniform Group (i.e. just in the usual scene view) or is this for a clearing Group which uses the Group Designer?

Are you having issues with zoom in the Object Path editor? If so, can you give me a screen shot that shows the problem?

35. Willbkool_FPCS

Willbkool_FPCS

I can't zoom or move while in the editor, unless I use F and that doesn't always place me where I want. Whenever I'm in the OP Editor, right clicking gives me the ability to add more points and also pick Allow Scene rotation, but if I click that I can't right click anymore and have to exit the editor and then re-enter the editor to add more points. It would be nice if I could use the arrow keys or something while in OP edit mode.

It's for Uniform groups, haven't tried the others yet.

BTW, the Object Path is a great way to add prefabs for me. I have lots of hedgerows and trees alongside roads. It makes my job much easier.

sstrong likes this.
  36. sstrong

sstrong

Right-click and select "Allow Scene View Rotation".

Move around, then select the Unity navigation icon (next to hand) or press "W" on the keyboard.

We have a lot of great stuff planned for the Object Path. If you have any feature requests, please add them here and we'll take them into consideration.

37. sstrong

sstrong

Did you send us a Template to look at this issue for you? I don't think we've received it.

38. Willbkool_FPCS

Willbkool_FPCS

I'm going to have to figure out how to do that. I looked at Template and it looks easy enough, but going to have to play with it and reread the manual.

39. sstrong

sstrong

1. Landscape Tab
    2. Templates
    3. Include Paths
    4. Include Stencils
    5. Export Package
    6. Save Template
    This will create a package you can send me

40. sstrong

sstrong

LB - MicroSplat Integration update

LB 2.0.6 Beta 8c includes a bunch of fixes for MicroSplat integration. Like with RTP integration, we support Heightmap textures in the LB Texturing tab. To use them, go to the LB Advanced tab in the LB Editor, and enable "Show Texture Heightmap". Now you can add heightmap textures directly in the LB Texturing tab.

To update diffuse, normalmap, and heightmap textures for MicroSplat, apply Texturing to the landscape in the LB Editor like usual. LB will update MicroSplat automatically.

NOTE: There is an edge case where the landscape looses the MicroSplat custom terrain material. Currently we don't have a re-pro for this. If you see this issue and can reliably reproduce it, please let us know your steps so that we can fix it.

We're also not updating the tiling size but we're working on a fix for that.

PolyMad likes this.
  41. sstrong

sstrong

Just released a patch. See above.

42. PolyMad

PolyMad

Wooo this is great! Thank you!

Edit: AAAARRGHHHHH!!! AGAIN I can't download... same problem as with the other account.
    My guess is that if there's too much traffic on your account, MS locks it down.
    Why don't you move onto Google?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  43. sstrong

sstrong

Could be because you have a google email account lol. Anyway, sent you another link. You're account was still looking okay so not sure why ms and google aren't playing nicely. :)

44. PolyMad

PolyMad

There seem to be some problem here.
    I updated LB, then I added the heightmap option and filled the texture fields.
    Retextured the terrain and... nothing changed: the second texture, which I added between the 1st and 2nd, is still the 4th texture instead.
    Tried in MicroSplat GRAB FROM SCENE TERRAIN and it only sees the original 3 textures of when I first switched to MicroSplat.

Now switched back to LB material: all blurred.
    Retextured: still all blurred.
    Closed Unity, reopened: nothing.
    Retextured: nothing.

Converted to LB material: all blurred.
    Deleted the MicroSplat folder.
    Then re-converted to MicroSplat: now 3 terrains on 4 are splatted, one is still untextured, and while the height maps are all there in the LB window, no height map is filled in the MicroSplat config window.

Re-converted to LB then reconverted to MicroSplat: now all the 4 terrain are textured, but still the 2nd texture doesn't show up.
    However, the newly created MicroSplat material is MicroSplat 1, and the old one was MicroSplat, and this name is already used on another scene, but that scene is in another folder, so I don't know if this can generate problems.
    Anyway, now the height maps are still missing in the MicroSplat config window, but after retexturing again the missing texture is finally there!

45. PolyMad

PolyMad

Btw: touching the DEFAULT TEXTURE SETTINGS in MicroSplat REMOVES the height maps all at once (which is crazy), but this of course is none of LB fault.

46. sstrong

sstrong

You should just be using the LB Texturing tab as described in the LB manual. The MicroSplat "Grab from scene terrain" will re-initial stuff and is unlikely to work with LB.

There is a case where randomly clicking on stuff and then reverting to Unity standard Material Type will loose some terrain settings like base distance and resolution. Change these back in your LB Terrain Settings and hit "Apply Settings" to update all the terrains. This will fix the blurred textures.

MicroSplat assumes the textures won't be moved and will all be in the microsplatdata folder. This is probably a reasonable assumption on their part. If you don't move stuff around MicroSplat should create unique names.

Also, make sure you are following the workflow instructions in our manual. There are really only about 4 or 5 steps which take approximately 10 seconds to complete. After than you can use the LB Texturing tab like normal. On the LB Landscape tab under Terrain Settings, there are Config and Shader buttons for quick links to your MicroSplat setup. You shouldn't have to touch LB Terrain Settings after it is first setup (apart from the 2 buttons mentioned above).

PolyMad likes this.
  47. sstrong

sstrong

Topography GPU Acceleration update (LB 2.0.6 Beta 9a)

We now support the following Topography Layer types on GPU:
    • Perlin Base
    • Perlin Additive
    • Perlin Subtractive
    • Perlin Detail
    • Image Base
    • Image Additive
    • Image Subtractive
    • Image Detail
    • Image Modifier
    • Unity Terrains (including TIFF, GeoTIFF, imported etc)
    Currently MapPath layers still run on the CPU but they can be combined with any of the above with Topography GPU acceleration enabled or disabled.

NOTE: Masks, Erosion, and final pass Smoothing still run on CPU. We're looking at moving these also to GPU once people are happy with the current implementation across different hardware.

48. PolyMad

PolyMad

When I'm encountering a problem with MicroSplat, what do you suggest to do?
    If I want to switch to another material, for testing purpose, and then back to MicroSplat, what do you suggest to use?
    I thought that the best option was to use the LB material.

However, that moment when only 3 terrains on 4 were updated was really weird and suggests that in some conditions the texturing loop is leaving out the first or the last terrain, or it's Unity? Or it's MicroSplat? Impossible to say from me... but sure is, that HAPPENED, I know it because I am moving over the crossing of the 4 terrains, so I notice the differences immediately.
    Then things fixed themselves up after fiddling for some minutes, but something weird happens when fiddling "too much".

Also, it's not clear to me the workflow when I add a new texture in LB, how to correctly update the MicroSplat shader, if I can't use the GRAB FROM SCENE TERRAIN.

49. Acissathar

Acissathar

I just wanted to pop in and say that the GPU Acceleration in the current beta is giving me crazy fast results.

Currently playing with a 16k by 16k made up of 256 terrains (512 by 512). Without acceleration it takes about 15-20 minutes to generate the topography (2 base layers). With acceleration I'm seeing about 5 minutes for 2 base layers, and Erosion, and Smoothing.

eaque, magique and sstrong like this.
  50. sstrong

sstrong

Nice. What hardware (CPU/GPU) are you using? Is this DX11 or OS X and Metal?
    BTW, erosion and smoothing is still on CPU but we're hoping to move that to GPU too for faster results.