Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[BETA] Boomerang 2D | Framework for making pixel-perfect 2D Action Adventure games without coding

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Garmichael, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Garmichael

Garmichael

Boomerang 2D

I've spent a little over a year developing this framework for pixel-perfect retro 2D games without any programming required.

But before I go on and on about what it is and how it works, check out this gameplay demo I built using the framework. Keep in mind that this entire demo was made using the framework without writing a single line of code.

You can play the demo (Windows build only, sorry) by downloading it here

So what IS the Boomerang 2D Framework?

The final product will include:
    • An Actor Studio (for making characters, enemies, pick-ups, moving platforms, etc)
    • A Map Editor
    • A Tileset Editor
    • A Weapon Studio
    • Save Game Manager
    • Global Flag Manager
    • Camera Controls with comprehensive set of states (including these camera modes: /watch?v=pdvCO97jOQk)
    • Dialog Box Builder
    So far, I've been focusing on the Actor Studio, the Map Editor, the Tileset Editor, and the Weapon Studio. The other features exist in very raw form and will be developed further as the beta progresses.

How is this different from Gamemaker, Corgi, and Unity's 2D Toolkit?

Due to the way that the framework operates, a vast majority of functionality found in retro games can be built without writing a single line of code. Unlike GameMaker and other 2D engines, objects in Boomerang 2D are constructed by the developer, rather than simply giving you a toolbox of commonly used objects.

This means that Boomerang 2D does not ship with a "Moving Platform" object that you simply drag to the stage. You create moving platforms from raw components using the Actor Studio.

Making a comparison to Web Development, you can consider the other tools to be more like Wix or Square Space, where Boomerang 2D is more like React or Angular.

Here's an overview of how the Actor Studio is used to create game elements:

But what I need something specific that I do need to program?

The Boomerang 2D Framework has hooks that allow you to easily write only the code you need as a class and drop it into a specific folder. The framework will automatically integrate your code. You do not need to touch a single file written as part of the framework to make this happen.

For example, Actors are made up of States, and each State can be assigned a behavior class that manipulates the actor's properties (such as its velocity, position, values of stats, sprite rendering, and so on). The rest of the framework still takes care of the tricky stuff, such as collisions with other actors and level geometry.

Other Functionality is done through the Interactive Events system, where you can select a series of conditions that when all of them are met, a series of events fire off. With this system, you can write your own condition classes (referred to as Triggers) and your own Event classes. This makes it easy to integrate your own logic and project needs into the Boomerang 2D Framework for use by Actors and other objects.

So what's next?

This is an early Beta build of the framework. More features need to be developed, and existing features need to be refined for usability and bug-squashing.

The Beta

Right now, I need a solid handful of developers, from newbies who arent familiar with coding or making games in general, to advanced developers who have shipped titles in the past.

Those admitted into he Beta program will have read access to the Git Repo and a Discord Server where bug tracking, feature requests, feedback, news and updates will be posted. The server also has a help channel that the beta testers can use to learn more about how to achieve what they want to achieve within the Boomerang 2D framework. In addition, when the asset is launched on the Unity Asset Store, Beta testers will get a copy of the asset for free.

If you're interested in becoming a Beta tester, please send me a direct message with your level of game development experience.

Neviah likes this.
  2. hasanbayat

hasanbayat

Looks like a great idea, Keep up the good work!

Garmichael likes this.
  3. Garmichael

Garmichael

Here's a more in-depth look at the Actor Studio

Neviah likes this.
  4. mbdmbd

mbdmbd

Hi, this might be way out of scope but could something like this be used to make a retro style ice hockey game? :)

5. Garmichael

Garmichael

Yeah, it could. You'd have to write your own behaviors for the players and the puck since they're very specialized, but its pretty easy to do with the framework.