Search Unity

Assets [Beta] Animancer v4.0 - Less Animator Controllers, More Animator Control

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by Kybernetik, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

Animancer is a powerful animation system which allows your scripts to simply play Animation Clips on demand and control all their details without any additional setup steps. It solves the major problems with Animator Controllers and can either replace them entirely or work alongside them on the same character.

Over the past few months I've been working on Animancer v4.0 and it is finally ready for Beta Testing. It is currently feature complete, with only a few things left to do: improve/update the examples and documentation, and clean up the source code.

I hope to have it done sometime in January 2020. All feedback is welcome, but there are a few areas in particular that I am interested in:
    • Introduction: the introductory paragraph on the home page of the documentation is very important for getting new users interested, so I want to make it as effective as possible.
    • Transition Previews: the "eye" icon in the top right of every Transition field in the Inspector allows you to preview what the model looks like throughout the transition and its animation. Unfortunately I don't personally have much use for this feature so I won't be able to continue improving it without feedback because I won't actually know what needs to be improved. So let me know if you have any ideas for it.
    • Documentation: any pages that have not yet been updated will say so at the top of the page. If you have trouble figuring anything out, please let me know since that will help determine what needs to go into the documentation.
    • Fade Modes: the new FadeMode enum explained in the Playing and Fading section:
      • Do you see any value in having both FixedSpeed and FixedDuration?
      • Does the FadeMode documentation sufficiently explain the difference?
      • Do you see any value in having the Normalized... variants when you could simply multiply your fade duration by the clip length? In particular, I'm worried about this one because it won't work for mixers or controller states.
    • Animancer Events:
      • Can you suggest any improvements to the Inspector interface?
      • Can you think of any better way that the system could be implemented to more easily allow other event types to be used in place of the UnityEvents?
    Also note that Animancer Pro is currently 40% off in the Cyber Week Mega Sale (ends Dec 13th). As mentioned in the Change Log, v4.0 will be a free update for anyone who already bought it.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  2. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

RogDolos and MrArcher like this.
  3. AskCarol

AskCarol

Unity Technologies

This is great! And good job on the documentation :)

Kybernetik likes this.
  4. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    RogDolos likes this.
  5. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

v4.0 Beta 3 is now available. Anyone using an earlier version of the Alpha or Beta should update to this one since it fixes some significant issues with Animancer Events.

6. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

New year, New Beta version.
    • Transition Assets are now included for all transition types (instead of only ClipState.Transition).
    • Various improvements to the Inspector and Transition Preview window.
    • The system now properly supports changing the target Animator.
    • Added various assertions for invalid values throughout the system to make it easier to catch issues upfront.
    • Updated the Fine Control and Locomotion examples. In particular, the Linear Blending example now demonstrates the benefits of Animancer's optional Mixer Time Synchronisation compared to the forced synchronisation Blend Trees use.
    • Someone finally reported a bug using Github Issues instead of email.

7. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

Just released Beta 5 to quickly fix an issue that was preventing builds and a couple of other minor things.

8. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

I've added a new C# in Unity section to the documentation to explain the basics of scripting so that the examples can link there instead of needing to explain everything themselves. Hopefully that should make it easier for beginners and non-programmers to get into Animancer.

9. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

Beta 6 is now available which has various minor bug fixes and some more of the examples have been updated.

thelebaron likes this.
  10. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

I finally got around to buying my own domain name so the documentation now lives at kybernetik.com.au/animancer. Any links to kybernetikgames.github.io/animancer should redirect automatically. Please let me know if you have any issues with it.

unityunity