Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

(beta 2) Default Parameters Confusion

Discussion in '5.4 Beta' started by AcidArrow, Jan 16, 2016.

1. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I also submitted this as a bug : issue 762159.

Now that the default parameters has become "Default - Medium" (making it, no more or less default than the other "Default" parameters) things have become extra confusing.

Consider this:

I change the Default Parameters to Default-HighResolution.

Then I go any object's lighting properties and see "Default-Medium" in the Advanced properties.

Is it using Default-HighResolution? If yes, then why is it showing something different?, also, if I want to override it and have actually use the "Default-Medium" how do I do that?

Or is is actually using "Default-Medium"? In which case what is the point of of the "Default Parameters" parameter in the lighting window?

I think the solution to this, is something like this:

Have the dropdown of "Advanced Parameters" be disabled by default and have a "override" tickbox. If the override tickbox is not ticked, it uses whatever is in the "Default Parameters", if you tick it, then the dropdown becomes enabled and and you can choose whatever you want.

2. Kuba

Kuba

Hey AcidArrow,

We're aware of the fact that this is very confusing as it is now and we have plans to fix it (they go along the lines of what you suggested). Stay tuned!

AcidArrow likes this.
  3. Petha

Petha

Why haven't you answered any of his questions?

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

He did answer my questions though.

All my questions boiled down to : "this is confusing, you understand this is confusing and how it is confusing, right? RIGHT?" to which @Kuba 's reply is completely appropriate.