Search Unity

Best weather for making games?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheGaul, Jun 11, 2019.

1. TheGaul

TheGaul

I would say the rain is best. Then you can just sit inside and code away, safe in the knowledge that nobody else is doing anything interesting. I think Bill Gates has this philosophy for where he sets up his offices. Even better a snow storm, but as long as you've got good central heating.

What gets me is how Silicon Valley in california became the coding mecca. I mean, with so much sunshine, why isn't everyone out surfing all day? Is it in fact too sunny, so they have to sit inside all day and not get sunburned? And don't computers not do too well in hot climates? I guess at least they won't get wet.

Or here's another theory, perhaps because it is so hot in California, then there is a culture of body worship, which leads some to be shunned and thus leads them to stay inside and do techy stuff. Wheras in more rainy cities, you wear lots of layers and hence everyone is equalized.

My third theory, is that because the transport links are quite bad in LA and surrounding areas, that in fact it's quite difficult to get anywhere and hence staying in is a good option.

What's your best weather for game developing? :cool:

Ony and hippocoder like this.
  2. The ocean here is f*ing cold, even in the summer, even in neoprene although people go in all the time, but not as much as in San Diego for example.

I think the weather doesn't matter.

3. TheGaul

TheGaul

The Beach Boys must have left that detail out of their songs.

4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I've heard of this weather thing. Isn't that something that happens outside?

5. Ryiah

Ryiah

They were too busy singing about the girls to care about the ocean. :p

Ony likes this.
  6. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

They supposedly invented this crazy thing called "air conditioning", apparently it cools air down or something, sounds like science fiction if you ask me! Totally violates the second law of thermodynamics!

--Eric

neoshaman, Ony, hippocoder and 3 others like this.
  7. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

The best weather for developing games is weather that allows you to do said development at the pub.

Dont ask me whether doing dev at the pub is efficient, the answer is, and will always be BEER.

Ony, xVergilx and SparrowGS like this.
  8. Murgilod

Murgilod

The best weather is a controlled environment where you can set the climate and light levels as needed.

If it was a perfect world where glare and light level issues did not exist? Clear, sunny, 22 Celsius, 5 km/h breeze.

9. frosted

frosted

Best weather for game dev is a nice 55 degrees on a lightly cloudy day.

A little cold. A little dark. Like our jaded cynical souls.

Ony, chingwa, Martin_H and 1 other person like this.
  10. Antypodish

Antypodish

55 Thats hot. Oh hold on, is that Celsius, Fahrenheit, Kelvin, etc?
    Why people assume that community is only USA? Noted in multiple threads.
    Defining used scale and units are so critical, that we could even prevent some incidents in NASA missions.
    Not to mention every day confusions.

Martin_H likes this.
  11. frosted

frosted

Look, I could be a smart ass and point out that the .com suffix denotes a US based site, because the internet is literally hardcoded to be us centric... but I won't. Kinda.

Instead I'll just point out that in kelvin that'd be over -218 degrees c or -360 f. I don't think you really had any trouble figuring out the scale, so relax, we ain't NASA over here.

12. aer0ace

aer0ace

@mountainstream I grew up in San Francisco, and I love how it would typically be overcast and foggy most of the year, even during the Summer. I think this was my favorite coding/thinking weather. I spent my college years in the South Bay, around San Jose (Silicon Valley central), and it was always way too hot to do anything without A/C. The "good Summer beach" from there is still another hour away at Santa Cruz, where a lot of the California misconceptions come from. The best weather is definitely in San Diego as @Lurking-Ninja pointed out, and LA is just a smoggy metropolitan area. Yeah,... SD is great.. but not for working...

13. Murgilod

Murgilod

Back in the 80s, confusion between metric and imperial units nearly lead to the deaths of almost seventy people. Ever since learning that story, I try to make sure to state what units I'm referring to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider

Martin_H and Antypodish like this.
  14. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

alaska is the best place for making games.in the winter it's dark and too cold for humans, in the summer it's a plague of mosquitos. those are the only seasons.

I dunno why all the big game companies are in california. if i lived there i'd never leave the beach.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    XCPU and Lurking-Ninja like this.
  15. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

No it doesn’t, does it?

16. Murgilod

Murgilod

Not even remotely true, nah. It was used for DoD purposes for a while but that hasn't been a restriction since the early 90s.

17. frosted

frosted

I don't know if there are solid rules (maybe there used to be), but the default assumption is .com is US (as is .gov, .mil, .edu). For example, language defaults for .com are english for most globalized companies, delegating even the companies native language to its country coded suffix, for example:

toyota.com = english
    toyota.jp = japanese

Cambridge in england doesn't use .edu, it uses .uk.

It's just the tradition since all that stuff had darpa roots, that's how it all started, and the assumption was that other countries would just get their .co.[country] domain while the us got all the rest.

18. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Context is key. He said nice.

There is no way that 55 C or 55 K could ever be considered nice.

19. Antypodish

Antypodish

There is in fact more than one incident with measurement units, involved with NASA. And many other case beyond that, on smaller scale.

Not sure if everyone is aware, but there is ton and tonne. Which is easy to mistake by internationals. A bit similarly with miles.

Sorry, but boils my blood, when I receive documents from clients, without clearly specified units. Means sending request back for corrections.

To be honest, not sure where that assumption comes form. .com means is commercial. Not USA in particular. What about thousands of large international companies, which headquarters are outside US, or even EU?

For example Tata group, which is Indian (Asia) company.
    https://www.tata.com/
    Or Thyssenkuypp is German company.
    https://www.thyssenkrupp.com/de/
    Or Unity Technologies, which originate from Denmark, but now with headquarters in USA.
    https://unity.com/

Domain doesn't mean to which country company belongs to. Neither that website is located in any particular country.
    It may be, just for convenience however.

20. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

OK, now you're all just descending into political arguing. Either bring it back on topic or this gets locked.

Response to edit: regardless of whether you're "just having a laugh", these topics always go the same way 100% of the time once you start down that road, no joke (especially once a certain president gets mentioned). I've been doing this long enough to know; gotta cut it off now, sorry.

--Eric

xVergilx and frosted like this.
  21. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

If everybody had an ocean
    Across the U. S. A.
    Then everybody'd be surfin'
    Like Californi-a
    You'd seem 'em wearing their baggies
    Huarache sandals too
    A bushy bushy blonde hairdo
    Surfin' U. S. A.

You'd catch 'em surfin' at Del Mar
    Ventura County line
    Santa Cruz and Trestle
    Australia's Narrabeen
    All over Manhattan
    And down Doheny Way

Everybody's gone surfin'
    Surfin' U.S.A.

We'll all be planning that route
    We're gonna take real soon
    We're waxing down our surfboards
    We can't wait for June
    We'll all be gone for the summer
    We're on surfari to stay
    Tell the teacher we're surfin'
    Surfin' U. S. A.

Haggerties and Swamies
    Pacific Palisades
    San Onofre and Sunset
    Redondo Beach L. A.
    All over La Jolla
    At Wa'imea Bay

Everybody's gone surfin'
    Surfin' U.S. A.

Everybody's gone surfin'
    Surfin' U.S. A.

Everybody's gone surfin'
    Surfin' U.S. A.

Oh yeah I wasn't feeling forgiving today so I nuked anyone's posts that even smelled political. Because a) I can b) I'm right and c) I hope that did waste your time posting it - so don't bother going political again.

Do it again and you'll get infractions followed by bans. It's not a joke - forums aren't political. End of. It's never been allowed so I dunno why people think tagging "only joking" on the end changes anything. It doesn't.

22. https://www.nasa.gov/offices/oce/functions/standards/isu.html
    No one knows that better than Nasa, believe me. :D

Yeah, but a casual forum post is not an engineering document. In everyday life all of us (or rather most of us) get a little bit lazy and don't give proper units when we assume the others will assume the same unit we're.
    In an international forum it's not the best to do, but still, it's not capital crime.
    And not to mention that out of the sentences you can deduct your unit. If he says it's not too hot, 55 degrees probably F and not C.

About the .com: well, it's intended for commercial organizations and originally was controlled by the US government (along others), but it's not controlled by them anymore, although it remained under US law. But in theory for international use. So go figure. :D

23. SparrowGS

SparrowGS

Yeah ok, fair points, your right.

How was my nasa comment political though?

24. chingwa

chingwa

Over the years I've sold stuff on the asset store I've noticed a revealing pattern. When summer comes around, people stop buying assets and go outside. Can you imagine what lack of discipline and FALSE DEVOTION this reveals about our fellow game developers??? What deficit of passion these people must have to give up their dreams for momentary sunshine and fleeting Vitamin D generation. What is passion if it can so easily evaporate into the clear summer sky? I find their fickle dedication thoroughly repugnant. [shakes fist at sun]

25. TheGaul

TheGaul

Are you sure they've gone outside? More likely they've bought loads of games on the Steam summer sale and are in doors playing them instead of working. o_O

neoshaman likes this.
  26. Ony

Ony

For me it's a balmy Spring day in Southern California, with the windows open and the sound of the breeze rustling through palm trees just outside. When it's not Spring I typically play audio/video with sounds of tropical ocean waves or heavy thundering rainstorms.

27. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Personally my work ethics are a bit better during bad weather. I like good food, wine and out door servings a bit too much :p

Though If S***s need be done, I do it under any weather :D

28. neoshaman

neoshaman

I like firestorm, it's like waiting for code to compile or waiting for image to render.

29. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Silicon Valley has nothing to do with Los Angeles weather. I don't know a single person who does bay area surfing. The water is just too dang cold. Lots of people here like to ski and snow board in the winter though. As far as sun and heat, other than the occasional summer heat wave like last week, the temperature is rather mild and 8 months out of the year you need a coat with you.

Silicon Valley is actually several hours closer to Reno Nevada than it is to Los Angeles, and shares none of the culture or climate with the Los Angeles area.

30. Well, that is true to the Peninsula and SF itself and the neighborhood. The South Bay is very much warmer. I don't know when I used my coat last time, it was maybe two years ago or something (probably went to SF for the nightlife... :D). Of course this is only if you drive.
    But I usually work outside on the deck at the office (office is in Mountain View), all around the year and even in the "winter" I sit outside in a cardigan or a sweater. I know I couldn't do this in SanFran though.

31. Batuhan13

Batuhan13

Best wheather for making game is definitely snowing or a weather with storm and dark clouds.I think it is changes from game which you making .For example I like sunny weather if I am developing sunmer themed game or island themed game but if I am developing horror game I always prefer night and rainly days for developing