Search Unity

Question Best Way to track a Custom Event for Level Failed

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by N1ghtrunner, Mar 6, 2023.

1. N1ghtrunner

N1ghtrunner

I'm trying to setup a Custom Event that I can add to a method that gets triggered when a player loses a level. By doing this I want to be able to tell via analytics which levels are too difficult. Is there a way this can be done without having to create a data dictionary? Essentially what I have is something like this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. AnalyticsService.Instance.CustomData("levelCompleted", levelProgression);
    levelProgression is an int value which is throwing a 'cannot be converted to' dictionary error. Hoping there is a relatively simple way to achieve this?

2. N1ghtrunner

N1ghtrunner

So this is the code I am using and it does not appear to be working. Can anyone tell me why?

Code (CSharp):
    1.     public void ReportLevelCompleted(int levelProgression)
    2.     {
    3.     AnalyticsService.Instance.CustomData("levelCompleted", new Dictionary<string, object>
    4.     {
    5.         { "level_id", levelProgression},
    7.     });
    8.     }
    levelProgression is an integer and the value is updated at the end of every level. At the same time I want to take that value and report it in Analytics.

I am using the 4.2 Analytics package and I have setup a levelCompleted custom event in the event manager on my dashboard. In addition I have created the following script which sits on the first scene of my game:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    4. using Unity.Services.Core;
    5. using Unity.Services.Analytics;
    7. public class InitWithDefault : MonoBehaviour
    8. {
    9.     async void Start()
    10.     {
    11.         try
    12.         {
    13.             await UnityServices.InitializeAsync();
    14.             List<string> consentIdentifiers = await AnalyticsService.Instance.CheckForRequiredConsents();
    15.             Debug.Log("Initialised Unity Game Analytics");
    16.         }
    17.         catch (ConsentCheckException e)
    18.         {
    19.           Debug.Log("Consent Check Exception " + e);
    20.           // Something went wrong when checking the GeoIP, check the e.Reason and handle appropriately.
    21.         }
    22.     }
    23. }
    Please help :/

3. N1ghtrunner

N1ghtrunner

ok dont mind me. The above works. Turns out I hadn't applied "level_id" parameter to the event in the dashboard, and I found some of these events under 'invalid events'. Setting this up and waiting an hour or so and things seem to be coming through properly. Amazing!

SebT_Unity likes this.