Search Unity

Best way to organize cut scenes

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by boiseunity, Dec 31, 2020.

1. boiseunity

boiseunity

I am working on an open world game that will have cut scenes (using Timeline and Cinemachine). My main scene is a large terrain grouping with procedurally-generated NPCs, etc, etc.

Right now, my cut scenes are simply a number of GameObjects converted to Timeline directors. Is this good practice? It means, over time, absolutely everything about my game will be in a single Scene.

It's convenient, since my cut scenes take place in different areas of that same terrain. But the organizer in me does wonder if I'm doing something wrong. Thanks!

2. jamespaterson

jamespaterson

3. DavidGeoffroy

DavidGeoffroy

Unity Technologies

You can make self-contained Timelines by using prefabs. This lets you easily move them to whatever loading format you want, whether it is scenes or asset bundles.

4. jamespaterson

jamespaterson

This is true and this is how i do my cutscenes. The challenge with this is if you need your timeline to be able to control objects outside of the prefab, e.g. a global directional light for a sunset. Obviously, references will not be preserved. Again, this can be solved but it is not straightforward.

5. jamespaterson

jamespaterson

Another example is the global cinemachinebrain reference which is needed for camera cuts etc on your timeline