Search Unity

Best way to optimize PC 3D Environment for VR projects?

Discussion in 'VR' started by castana1962, Jan 15, 2019.

1. castana1962

castana1962

Hi All
    I am working with a 3D Environment for PC and I am interested in optimizying them for VR developing, for it, Could anybody advice what is the best way to do it? Is there any way in Unity? or I should use any 3D software develop? ( for example Maya. etc....)
    Thanks in advance
    Alejandro

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  2. ricarious

ricarious

Strategies for optimizing for VR are nearly identical to optimizing for 3D in general (maintaining frame rate, fps). There are numerous tutorials and guides available publically for free.

It's important to recognise and understand that optimizing for the high-end Oculus Rift or HTC Vive running on a muscular GPU-powered PC is quite different than optimizing for untethered, all-in-ones/mobile platforms such as Google Daydream, Oculus Quest, etc. There is plenty of free stuff info available via a simple google search for each platform.

Remember that maintaining minimum frame rate is critical for VR to avoid sickness. The high-end VR platforms require 90 fps. The "mobile" VR platforms reduce this (because they have to) to 50-60fps. Frankly, if its serious VR, it needs to run at 90fps+.

I would start here:
    Unity: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/OptimizingGraphicsPerformance.html
    Oculus: https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/pcsdk/latest/concepts/dg-performance-guidelines/

Noa3 and ROBYER1 like this.
  3. Chimer0s

Chimer0s

I would highly recommend looking into certain tools to help with this. One that I've been using in my VR game, Vengeful Rites, is Mesh Baker. It will allow you to easily combine meshes and even texture atlas them if they share materials using the same shader. It's been a tremendously useful tool for optimizing that's saved countless hours by condensing the process or combining meshes and atlasing them down to a few clicks. I really can't recommend it enough. Well worth the price.

4. berryjohnson

berryjohnson