Search Unity

Best way to make sure that I don't lose everything

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by r33lwhiteboy, Jun 21, 2012.

1. r33lwhiteboy

r33lwhiteboy

Had a close call with a blue screen a week ago (Unmountable boot volume), and it got me to thinking about losing my half-finished project. Any great ways to back up your work as you go? External hard drive, syncing it to the cloud, etc? Just trying to find a decent way to do it. Anything that would automatically do it is great.

2. drb1992

drb1992

How large is the project, hard drive space wise?

3. khanstruct

khanstruct

Dropbox is your friend.

External HD isn't a terrible idea either. Just keep your projects there. Then your comp can crash all it wants. You just unplug and continue on a different computer.

4. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

5. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

There are a few services that will back up all of your files to the cloud routinely (like an online version of OS X's Time Machine). One that comes to mind is Carbonite.

6. fivearchers

fivearchers

I use Mozy for an online disaster recovery backup - that is my computer completely crashes or the house burns down etc. On top of that I have two USB keys with encryption, plus a portable HDD. But also I'm constantly zipping up entire copies of my project folder, like almost after every session (I just add the date to the end of the file name). Once I've gone to Mozy to recover a prefab I completely messed up and then "applied". Many times i've gone back to a previous day's zip file and pulled out an old copy of a script. You can't really have too many backups! Don't rely on a single backup either!

7. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I have a mac and use TimeMachine as a regular backup option for local backups. Then I periodically move copies of all my projects to dropbox for offsite back up.

8. r33lwhiteboy

r33lwhiteboy

Around 600 megs, as of now

9. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

if it's that small then you could just get a USB Flash Drive.