Search Unity

best way to make dynamic surface interaction

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by robertahawkinsii, May 31, 2022.

1. robertahawkinsii

robertahawkinsii

I want to make a game were elements have an effect on the floor like if oil is on the ground walking on it will make you start slipping around while near it fire hits the oil it will catch on fire, same goes for if you freeze the surface of water the place were you hit will be solid to walk on. I have been looking but search results are not helpful is there a proper name for this and if so what's the best direction I can look at to research this system I want to make. closest idea I have is making moves that have that property spawn a game object that fits but that wouldn't work for freeing water surface, help would be much appreciated.

2. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Before we can offer any direction we'd need to know far more. For starters, what kind of game is it? Fully 3D open world? Tile-based 2D dungeon crawler? Deck-building card game?

Also, what have you already tried and how did it go? Even if that's "I opened the Unity Learning page and started doing some tutorials" then that tells us at what level we can start discussing things.

3. robertahawkinsii

robertahawkinsii

Thats fair. The game is an action rpg I want the encounter to be a small arena and the attacks are elemental based making the environment change based on what moves to make the player think carefully of their next step. an example is if they opponent moves faster than you in water, if they have ice moves freezing the water is an option they can do. With the water frozen it limits their opponents movements. stuff like that

Last edited: May 31, 2022
  4. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Shoot a ray down, look at the tag of the hit object, apply effects as needed.

If you want to alter the sound based on location (such as echoing in a cave) make a trigger collider that toggles a bool and plays the appropriate audio file.

Pretty simple.

5. robertahawkinsii

robertahawkinsii

ok cool I'll try that thank you! :)

BrandyStarbrite likes this.