Search Unity

Best way to make a level spawner?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by dwhysall, Jun 20, 2018.

1. dwhysall

dwhysall

Hi!

I'm recreating one of my past games that was made in pure JavaScript.

Pretty much, objects would come from the right side of the screen and you'd have to dodge them; the levels weren't random though and had set patterns.

The way I created the levels was quite disgusting, I had relatively limited coding experience and simply made a levelTimer int, which would increment every frame, and then simply run a switch statement checking whether to spawn an object at that frame.

Now remaking this in Unity, I'm sure there has to be a better way of doing this, and I'd love ideas because my brain is stuck!

Sorry for the title - it's not clear but I couldn't think of a way to phrase it simply.

Thanks!

2. methos5k

methos5k

If you're asking about the timer portion of spawning, I'd say a coroutine is good, or just keeping track of the time in a float in Update.

If you need some more specific help or information, feel free to say so.

Hope that helps. :)

3. dwhysall

dwhysall

Do you think that's the best way to do it? I thought there would be a better architectural way to set it up.

I suppose, on level load I could create a stack of the objects that will be used, and then pull them from it at the intervals that I want. It's just the 'timeline' bit that I'm sure there should be a better way.

4. methos5k

methos5k

Well, when I suggested tracking the time, I didn't mean the frame count like you mentioned in your post.
    I do not know what could be better. :)

5. dwhysall

dwhysall

Ah, what do you mean by tracking the time?

Edit: actually, no worries! I'm going to store the level data as JSON with all the details it needs and then parse it in.Thanks anyway!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018