Search Unity

Best way to make a "Dry hands" animation with arms and paper? (HELP)

Discussion in 'Animation' started by julianblauw, Apr 25, 2018.

1. julianblauw

julianblauw

Hi all, I got a problem

I already have a player with arms, The player stands at the sink, and clicks on a button. What I want is, an animation that he dry his hands with paper (you know those paper machine at the toilet).

So I think I need two animations? 1 for the paper to move, and another for the arms to move?

Or what is the best method to do this?

EDIT: also how can I make the paper naturally flow over my hands?

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

This would be a difficult task. The most logical is probably cloth sim, but that won't be as simple as typing the suggestion here. ;)
    Consider faking it. Either pan the camera so the hands aren't in the frame, but the motions of the character are doing the hand drying motions, then you can show him with a crinkled up wad of 'paper' to throw away in the trash, OR - maybe there is not more paper left, so he has to shake his hands dry, or rub them on his shirt/pants, OR save the trees! Use a hand blower instead. :)

TonyLi and chelnok like this.
  3. puppeteer

puppeteer

Is the goal to have have paper pass on his hands, or to give a clear indication that his hands are dried?

If the latter, you can simply make a quick shaking animation with particles of water flying off, indicating that his hands were wet before and are dry now.

If you must go for the paper thing, maybe you can use a cloth component, but it's not that stable IMO.

Or finally you can create a piece of paper with several bones that can mimic a soft object like paper towel, then animate it over the hands.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  4. julianblauw

julianblauw

Yes the goal is to have him get the paper and then do the motion of drying hands.

If I do this :

Or finally you can create a piece of paper with several bones that can mimic a soft object like paper towel, then animate it over the hands.

How do I make bones on that piece of paper?
    Do I need to play 2 animations at the same time?

5. julianblauw

julianblauw

It needs to be visible, that he is drying his hands, so the paper needs to move with the motion of the hands.
    Is there no simple way of doing this :( ?

6. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

No - there is not simple way of doing this. I can't even think of a 3D movie that has done this well. Most games fudge something like this with a 'kind of animated' piece of paper and camera work.
    This is even a complex setup in 3D without real-time rendering requirements.
    Most realistic - and hardest to make look correct - cloth - either in Unity or external baked animation, but that is another issue requiring a plug-in like megafiers to import correctly. Cloth driven bones could work but that is an advanced setup that takes high level knowledge/time.
    Easiest - fake it as described above.
    Middle ground - rig a cloth/paper with bones and animate each bone. Physics could be applied to the bones, but you'd still want to have control over the bones so intersecting meshes could be corrected, so a combination animation controller would be needed (this is external) I don't think 'animating a rigged piece of paper would be worth doing in Unity - because of the need to use a complex setup of physics and hand controlled bones.

7. puppeteer

puppeteer

8. petey

petey

This might be a cool cloth sim asset but it would be an absolute nightmare to get a realistic looking piece of paper towel moving correctly in this situation. Do yourself a favour and listen to @theANMATOR2b. This is the kind of thing you would want to work around, serously.
    Maybe they don’t wash their hands at all :p

theANMATOR2b and puppeteer like this.